• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring attack: basic rules question

RolandOfGilead

First Post
Sorry to bother you folks, but I'm a little confused on spring attack, as well.

Suppose my character charges a huge creature. Normally, the creature you attack gets no AOO due to movement with spring attack. But since I'm charging, I dont get to move after the charge, or do I? and if I dont get to move, am I eligible for spring attack?
Suppose I do a jump kick (+44 jump skill) which causes me to jump oh say 60' but only had say 40' of movement left for the round, now right around the 40' mark I jump kick the huge animal. Do I fall into an adjacent square to the animal ? do I freeze in the air until my round and then continue sailing 20' and land? Where does spring attack fit into this? What about a tumble? Can you do a tumbling jump kick? (Snicker)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RolandOfGilead said:
Suppose my character charges a huge creature.

To Charge, you must take the Charge action.

To use Spring Attack, you must take the Attack action.

Hence, you cannot use Spring Attack and Charge.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RolandOfGilead said:
ok, Ignore that a moment and answer the rest of the question.

I jump kick a monster (attack action, jump is movement)

So you can jump 60', but your speed is 40?

Well, without Spring Attack, you can't attack until you've concluded your movement.

So you either jump 40' into an adjacent square and then attack him, or you jump 60' past him, taking a double move, provoking an AoO, and have no actions left to attack with this round.

If you only take a move action to jump (allowing 40 feet of movement), but your Jump check allows 60' of movement, then normally you remain suspended until your next turn, when you must immediately spend a move action to complete your jump. So in theory, I suppose that with Spring Attack, you could jump, travel 40', attack, and that would be the end of your round... and then on the next round, you'd spend a move action to travel the other 20' of the jump.

-Hyp.

RolandOfGilead

First Post
Smurf, my speed is 80. I spend 40 building up a running start and jump at the monster, having enough jump to cover 60 feet. this would mean its less than my total move but more than my remaining move. at the end of my move this round, I kick the monster and have no move left. Can I spring attack him or not?

Thanee

First Post
Distance moved by jumping is counted against your normal maximum movement in a round.
So, you could only jump 40', if you had already moved 40' and your speed was 80'.

And there is the answer to your other question:

You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you make your attack in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Attack.
Bye
Thanee

P.S. Took me 1 minute to find it in the SRD. It's not that hard, really. ;)

RolandOfGilead

First Post
Well the problem is, I was still moving when my turn ended.
How about this one, you move in and use your spring attack to trip someone huge.
You fail, you they trip in response, and trip you. you cant move the 5' required to fill the spring attack requirement. now do they get the AOO they missed when you moved in?

Seems to me, the advantage of spring attack is that you can move before and after, and that the other half the part about not being subject to AOO is a side benefit, not dependent on using the first. IMHO.

azmodean

First Post
Jumping issue

I don't see any reason to impose a retroactive AoO because you can't finish the spring attack. I agree with your interpretation (move in, avoiding AoO because of spring attack feat, attempt trip, fail, get tripped, unable to complete move due to being prone). You have found a hole in the RAW, but I just don't like the idea of imposing *anything* retroactively(the AoO in this instance).

Thanee

First Post
Yep, if you had the movement left-over, then things are fine. Of course, you have to take the move, if this is possible. Or in other words, you must plan your action in a way, that it is possible to move both before and after, if something interrupts your plan and hinders you to move further, than that is not your fault. :)

Bye
Thanee

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you make your attack in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Attack.

Oops - yeah. If you had 40 feet of movement remaining, and a 60 foot jump, you could jump, travel 35 feet, attack, travel 5 feet, and then you'd hang until your next round, when you'd have to spend a move action to complete the remaining 20 feet of the jump.

But you can't Spring Attack if you use up all your movement before attacking.

-Hyp.

Remove ads