• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring attack

Lichemaster

Explorer
I'm sure you can do this, but I will ask anyway.
Could you spring attack when flying? it says no were that you have to jump (as is my arguement).
Thanks in advance............. Chris...............

Tellerve

If you were a normal person that didn't have flight and had it through some spell that gave you perfect manuverability then I'd allow you to use your Spring Attack. I'd have to think about anything lower on the manuverability scale.

Otherwise, Crothian is right about there already being the flyby attack.

Tellerve

Psimancer

First Post
Actually, I’m going to have to go against the great Crothian on this one and say, ‘yes’…

Two things:

a) You DO provoke an attack of opportunity whilst performing a Flyby Attack, and…

b) Nowhere in the wording of Spring Attack does it even allude to ground movement only

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Psimancer
b) Nowhere in the wording of Spring Attack does it even allude to ground movement only

Woah. Xorn with Spring Attack would be a pain in the butt cause it can move through stone 'like a fish through water', although everyone would just start readying attacks for when they see it. Still, I could make that an annoying encounter.

I don't see why a flying creature couldn't use Spring Attack, but there's a difference in needing a single feat called Flyby Attack and three feats to get Spring Attack. Partly because of the number of feats required for Spring Attack, I would say yes.

FireLance

Legend
I'd also say yes, you can Spring Attack while flying.

Spring Attack and Flyby Attack have two different effects. Spring Attack allows you to avoid AOOs from your target, while Flyby Attack does not. Flyby Attack allows you to move before and after any standard action, while Spring Attack only allows you to move before and after a melee attack.

In addition, the FAQ discusses how to conduct a Ride-by Attack with a flying mount, so it seems to be a given that you can Ride-by Attack with a flying mount. By the same logic, it should be a given that you can Spring Attack while flying.

Crothian

First Post
Psimancer said:
2) Nowhere in the wording of Spring Attack does it even allude to ground movement only

However, when things can be used with different type of movement they usually say they can. I would expect a line that says "Can be used with flying" instead of "Cannot be used with flying".

Stalker0

Legend
On the one hand, it says you move, attack, then move again. It makes no restrictions on what kind of movement...so by that I would say you fly, climb, swim, etc.

On the other hand, does that mean I can jump while swimming in a deep lake? Nothing says I can't be swimming when using the jump skill...although there is plenty of innuendo

shilsen

Adventurer
FireLance said:
I'd also say yes, you can Spring Attack while flying.

Spring Attack and Flyby Attack have two different effects. Spring Attack allows you to avoid AOOs from your target, while Flyby Attack does not. Flyby Attack allows you to move before and after any standard action, while Spring Attack only allows you to move before and after a melee attack.

Same here, for the reasons FireLance lists. A flying creature using Spring Attack and one with Flyby Attack are able to do very different things.

iwatt

First Post
Considering that Spring attack Requires Dodge an Mobility, which I personally associate to nimbleness and abilty to control movement, I'd personally allow Spring attack to creatures with good and perfect manueverabilty (sp?).

For swimming creatures, I'd allow spring attack for creatures with swim speeds above 20'.

For burrowing creatures.... as long as they can accurately pinpoint their target, I'd allow spring attack as well. But burrowing speeds aren that high, so the creature really can't get that much mileage out of it (I think).

Remove ads