Spring Ceramic DM™: WINNER POSTED!

mythago

Hero
Piratecat said:
I haven't forgiven you for the photo of a granite driveway sphere -- and all of those photos of peoples' hands.
Ah, yes, how well I remember the very posting of those spheres, as Samwise (aka Mr. Mythago) peered over my shoulder:

SAMWISE: Are those the pictures for Ceramic DM? What's that one?

ME: Bunch of gray spheres. I like the way they're all in a line.

SAMWISE: Wow. That one's going to be really hard to place in a story, you know.

ME: That's not my problem.
The hands were coincidence. Honest.

Zhaneel

First Post
Just another quick reply:

All the stories that have been posted have been fun reads. I have to say, though, I liked it better when they were further apart so I keep straigh which pictures went with stories and which stories were against each other.

Best of luck to the judges.

Zhaneel

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Zhaneel said:
have to say, though, I liked it better when they were further apart so I keep straigh which pictures went with stories and which stories were against each other.

That's our tradeoff for having more people in the first round. The second, third and fourth rounds will be somewhat more leisurely.

Arwink won't be able to judge until he gets home from the aforementioned con. Once he does and sends it to me, I'll post the first two judgments. :)

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
mythago said:
SAMWISE: Wow. That one's going to be really hard to place in a story, you know.

ME: That's not my problem.
You know, that was pretty much the criteria I used for deciding whether a drawing was "good enough" for the competition.

Anything I thought gave away too much of its own story got pitched, and Piratecat never even saw it. This game is only partly about what stories our pictures tell--it's mostly about what stories our contestants tell.

Obvious is so dull. The reason we all loved AlSiH20's game from the outset is that his pictures were never easy, and they made our brains twist into new knots to make sense of a senseless universe. Piratecat and Mythago both captured that in their selections, too.

It's so very satisfying to read a story that assembles all the nonsense into a reasonable sequence--you can just feel your brain go "click" each time it is released from the tension of bewilderment, as one more tile falls into place.

The best stories never give away that final click until you almost can't bear it anymore.

And then they do.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
All righty. Is it time? It's time.

Match 1-6: RangerWickett vs Speaker. Due Monday evening, of course. And it's worth noting that every competitor should copy down my email, so (lord forbid) if the boards crash you can email me your story before your time limit.

Enjoy!

Note that the next pictures get posted Sunday night.

Attachments

• turban.jpg
    turban.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 165
  • beauty.jpg
    beauty.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 171
  • aqua.jpg
    aqua.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Pensive.jpg
    Pensive.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 151

Macbeth

First Post
Those have to be some of the best pictures I've seen in this competition. Hell if I know how to tell a story with them, but those are some awesome pictures. Good stuff!

Good luck!

Remove ads