Spring Ceramic DM™: WINNER POSTED!

Sialia

First Post
Gollee. I didn't know you'd written for my art gallery stuff.

I knew the thread was there, but I havn't looked to see what was in it for a rather long time . . .

Thanks!

orchid blossom

Explorer
One of the best things about stories, and art in general, is how no two people will get the same thing out of it. Something we have proof of with this discussion. We can discuss technical construction (which I love to do) all day, but in the end there is the subjective element of the story through the readers filter that has an enormous effect. And it should.

In the end, I did value a good story over picture use. The "climb" photo was a weak usage, but I couldn't find a way to make it more important without the storytelling becoming heavy-handed. I had considered having Devakiri watching the humans and thinking about how they are like ants, etc, etc, but her views had already been made clear and it would have been redundant.

With "Rest" I certainly felt the technical picture use could have been stronger, but it felt appropriate to me where it was, and the picture permiated the work, I think. I'd considered having her return to the cave and lay her head down next to the skull she retrieved to pull in the picture, but it just didn't feel right.

And that's enough of that. I think I'll go visit the Kiln-fired thread. :)

alsih2o

First Post
We have, in my memory, only had one participant who won or lost poorly. Unfortunately some greta writing has get beaten somewhere down the line.

I always come away wishing I could see more form at least oen participant, but that is why we keep doing it. A valiant match, I feel better for it :)

orchid blossom

Explorer
alsih2o said:
I always come away wishing I could see more form at least oen participant, but that is why we keep doing it. A valiant match, I feel better for it :)

Agreed. I think the competition runs just fine single elimination. There's always another chance down the road.

Sialia

First Post
orchid blossom said:
One of the best things about stories, and art in general, is how no two people will get the same thing out of it. . . .

With "Rest" I certainly felt the technical picture use could have been stronger, but it felt appropriate to me where it was, and the picture permiated the work, I think. I'd considered having her return to the cave and lay her head down next to the skull she retrieved to pull in the picture, but it just didn't feel right.
Thing is, I didn't think it was weak. It's ok by me if the picture is used as a picture, as long as the picture is in some way functional to the story. The use of it as a stone carving captured the texture and color of their piece, so that it functionally embraced the form as well as the content. And it was clear to me that the piece permeated the story because I felt something of the same mood in reading your story as I felt when I created the piece.

I drew it the same day that Bandeeto and I purchased our first house, a scant few weeks ago. I was filled with a strange mixture of fulfillment of a long awaited ambition and a terrible fear of the enormity of what we had just done. We've been waiting over ten years to be able to do this, and it will take us another 30 years to pay for it. I will be a senior citizen before we complete the payments on this purchase, if Josh and I are fortunate enough to live that long. We are now both obligated to stay alive that long--neither of us can do this alone.

I didn't think about that while I was doing the drawing--there was a mind numbing paralysis of all linguisitic thought all that day. It was a week or two later before I could look back at it and realize what went in to it.

So themes of the passage of time, grim resolve, terror, and embracing eternity were all very appropriate.

And Mythago, I love what you did with "She Waits."
That painting has a story of its own, too, but it's not nearly as interesting as the one you built for it. Many thanks.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'll post the results of Match 1-5 (Tzor vs. Zhaneel) tomorrow, most likely, depending on Arwink's schedule. In the mean time....

Since we now have the first four advancements (Macbeth, Alsih2o, Drose25 and Mythago), time to start the second round! The combatants -- err, contestants - will be matched up according to my handy d4, as follows:

Match 2-1: Macbeth vs. Alsih20
Match 2-2: Drose25 vs. Mythago

I'm ready to hand out pictures as soon as people tell me they're ready for them. Wakka wakka. This is exciting; I like our round 2 illustrations.

Changes in Rules for Round 2: Word limit rises from 5000 to 6000 words.

Who wants to go first?

Last edited:

Macbeth

First Post
Ready any time. Alsih2o. Wow... I'm not sure if I'm getting of light, or in for a real beating. At least I'm not up against Mythago. ;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I know. Ha ha. No judgment for you and Tzor!

Seriously, I'll post it as soon as we've got them all together. In the mean time, it's a lot like Schrodinger's Victory; until we announce it, you've both won! :D

Remove ads