• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft 2.0 and a modern magic campaign

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Hello all!
Just a question for those of you in the know on Spycraft 2.0. When our current 1970s spy game ends I am thinking about running a modern magic campaign based on Bureau 13. I think Spycraft would do an excellent job with this, but I'll need some rules for magic and other cool powers.

For those of you who don't know, Bureau 13 is a modern occult game where you play members of a government organization that helps keep the supernatural out of the public's eye. Magic, psi, faith, monsters...all those sorts of things are real, and your role is to keep the public blissfully unaware of them.

First of all, I'm wondering about dealing with knowledge of the supernatural and the occult. I was hoping to be able to add magic, psi and faith as foci for an existing skill, but I can't seem to find one that is appropriate. I am thinking about making a new skill, occult, for the basis, but then I will have to determine which classes get it as a base skill. Does anyone have any ideas here?

As far as the rules for magic, psi and faith, I am considering using the system from Elements of Magic for, well, magic, the Psychic Handbook for PSI, but I don't have a strong handle on how to do religious effects or faith.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to accomplish these things? Or can you tell me abouth that cool game in the works that will answer all of my questions. By the way, if anyone is interested in a Bureau 13: Powered by Spycraft, I'd love to get involved with it...

--Steve

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
SteveC said:
Hello all!
I am thinking about running a modern magic campaign based on Bureau 13. I think Spycraft would do an excellent job with this, but I'll need some rules for magic and other cool powers.

I am thinking about doing this, as well - and I suggest that you pick up the 'Powered by Spycraft' edition (not the earlier d20 Modern edition) of the Dark Inheritance campaign book (among other things, it contains rules for using magic from other d20 products in a Spycraft game). Dark Inheritance is a bit less Kolchak than Bureau 13 (i.e., it has more emphasis on wide-reaching conspiracy elements and espionage than normal street-level investigation), but is otherwise exactly what you're looking for. As for its compatability with Spycraft 2... well, I'm not quite sure yet (I already own the latter product, and my copy of Dark Inheritance is on order).

Last edited:

Medwyn

Explorer
Spycraft 2.0 + DI Campaign + Elements of Magic = Spell Goodness

I in fact use the Spycraft 2.0 ruleset along with the Dark Inheritance rule set (Safe Spell Levels and EP's) with the Revised Elements of Magic ruleset for my Fantasy Campaign.

With Dark Inheritance being updated via the conversion document available from AEG's Forums DI is quite nice way of limiting spells and meshing it with the modern campaign model.

I went a step further and gave Arcane spell casters the ability to use Elements of Magic spell lists (with some spells reduced) and pretty much used Divine Spell casters as Gnostics from DI.

I do have some notes somewhere about although aimed at a Fantasy Campaign more so than a Modern one.

Feel free to ask questions.

-Meds

Morgenstern

First Post
Ta-da :)!

I hope to have psionics up and running soonish :p.

The Craft

This section describes one method of integrating standard d20 system spells into Spycraft Campaigns.

New Campaign Qualities
Introducing craft magic powered by the Ethereal is handled as a campaign quality.

The Craft (Season Only; +0 XP): While typically not well known to the world at large, some characters are able to utilize ancient magical devices (foci) or their own intense beliefs to draw energy from the Ethereal and channel it into spells. Various arcane character options (including new origins, base classes, expert classes, skill checks, feats, and powers) are available in this campaign with GC approval.
Special: If these options are only availably to NPCs, this quality grants +25 XP.

Base Classes
Many of the base classes presented in Dark Inheritance have been folded directly into the 2.0 core rules. Two of them however, the Arcanist and Gnostic, were not included because of their focus on the Ethereal, Dark Inheritance’s spellcasting system. These classes and the Ethereal as a power are included here.

Arcanist
The Arcanist walks the treacherous path of eldritch power and arcane knowledge. By pouring over fragments of ancient manuscripts and scavenging through the scattered remains of the Lost Age, the Arcanist seeks the hidden mysteries of true power. He uses twisted secrets, forbidden learning, and arcane foci to break the boundaries of science. He is no scholar hiding in an ivory tower from the dangers of the world - he strides fearlessly into the unknown, certain that his skill and power will see him through.
Attributes: Intelligence is key to providing the skill points to undertake the Arcanist’s complex research, while Charisma is essential to impressing his will upon the Ethereal to apply the benefits of his discoveries.
Vitality: 1d8 + Con modifier per level.
Starting Weapon Proficiencies: 2.

Class Skills
The Arcanist’s class skills are Analysis, Bluff, Computers, Cultures, Drive, Impress, Intimidate, Investigate, Medicine, Notice, Profession, Resolve, Science, Search, Sleight of Hand.
Skill Points at Level 1: (8 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8 + Int modifier.

Core Ability
Studious: You may learn and cast an additional number of 0-level spells equal to your starting action dice. If you gain temporary additional starting action dice (such as from the Pointman’s improved fortune ability, you may learn additional 0-level spells, but lose those spells at the end of the current mission.

Class Abilities
Novice: At Level 1, you gain the Novice feat. Your class level is added to your caster level. You gain Ethereal points as shown on Table XX.XX: The Arcanist.
Bond Foci I: At Level 1, you may bond with a single focus you have as a possession or have requisitioned.
Bond Foci II: At Level 10, you may have up to 2 bound foci.
Bond Foci III: At Level 20, you may have up to 3 bound foci.
Condensed Formula I: You learn to “write small” when imbuing a focus with spells. At Level 2, your bound foci are considered 1 size category larger for the purpose of determining the maximum number of spell levels they may be imbued with.
Condensed Formula II: At Level 11, your bound foci are considered an additional size category larger for the purpose of determining the maximum number of spell levels they may be imbued with (for a total of 2 categories larger).
Condensed Formula III: At Level 19, your bound foci are considered an additional size category larger for the purpose of determining the maximum number of spell levels they may be imbued with (for a total of 3 categories larger).
Initiation: Your continued study begins to pay off. At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19, you gain 1 additional Arcane feat or your maximum safe spell level increases by 1 (maximum of 5th level).
Allure: At Levels 4, 12, and 20, your Charisma rises by 1.
Sacrifices: You have learned how to work powerful magics at the cost of your own wellbeing. At Levels 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once. Any Constitution damage suffered as a result of these abilities cannot be reduced except as described below, and is recovered at the rate of 2 points at the end of each scene.
Desperate Casting: You may attempt to cast a spell imbued into any focus that is part of your possessions, even if you are not in physical contact with that focus. You need not spend EP or make a Craft check – the casting is automatically successful. You then suffer Constitution damage equal to the spell’s level + 1.
Draw from Within: You may take 1 or more points of Constitution damage to produce double the number of EP to enhance a spell during casting (see arcane feats, page XX). Spending these EP may exceed the normal maximum amount of EP that may be spent on spell enhancement feats.
Elemental Attunement: When casting a spell the arcanist may choose to attune the spell to a specific element. He suffers 2 points of temporary Constitution damage to add one of the following effects to his spell. A spell may only have a single elemental attunement placed upon it.
  • Air – You double the range of any spell with a Range other than “Touch” or “Personal.” The spell gains the [air] descriptor. Spells that normally have the [air] descriptor triple their range.
  • Earth – Any spell that allows a saving throw has its DC increased by +2. The spell gains the [earth] descriptor. Spells that normally have the [earth] descriptor provide a +4 bonus to the DC.
  • Fire – You cause a spell that inflicts damage to deal +1d6 points of fire damage in addition to the damage the spell normally deals. The spell gains the [fire] descriptor. Spells that normally have the [fire] descriptor deal +2d6 points of fire damage.
  • Water – Spells with a Target of “Area” gain the Shapeable quality. The spell gains the [water] descriptor. Spells that normally have the [water] descriptor also have any saving throw DC increased by +2.
Rune: By drawing a rune of power upon an item, you may change the duration of a spell that you can cast safely to “until triggered.” Triggering is based on an event of your choice. This event may be simple in nature (i.e. “the first person to touch this door.”), or may be quite complex (i.e. “when Constance Martins walks beneath this arch.”). The trigger cannot exceed the parameters of the spell. The conditions for triggering the rune can be based upon a character’s name, ethnicity, observable action, or qualities. Intangibles such as level, class, and current wound points do not qualify. A rune may be noticed with a Notice check (DC 25 – spell level) and deciphered with a Cultures (occult) check (DC 15 + spell level). EP equal to the spell level must be spent in addition to you suffering Constitution damage equal to the level of the spell +1. Runes are subject to dispel magic, but must be targeted by the spell for it to have any effect on the rune.
Sacrificial Reach: You may extend the range of a spell that has a Range of “Touch” to 15 feet. No other features of the spell are changed. If the spell normally requires an attack check, then you must still make an attack check against the target. You suffer Constitution damage equal to the spell’s level.
Spell Guard: As a free action, you can turn any failed saving throw against a spell made by you or any teammate within line of sight into a success. You are then sent reeling and suffer temporary Constitution damage equal to the spell’s level + 1.
Tethered Focus: As a full action, you may summon one of bound foci that is medium sized or smaller. The focus appears in your hand, properly fitted if worn or immediately adjacent to you if the focus is not suitable for being worn or held. You then take temporary Constitution damage equal to the power rating of the focus + 1.

Eldritch Defense I: You may instinctively use your connection to the ethereal to defend yourself. At Level 8, if you are successfully attacked, you may spend 1 or more EP to give yourself DR equal to twice the number of EP spent against that attack.
Eldritch Defense II: At Level 18, you may spend EP to cancel a successful attack against you. You must spend EP equal to one half the amount the attack check exceeded your defense (round up).
Ethereal Flood: You may momentarily wedge open the gates between the real world and the ethereal, creating an abundance of arcane energies. At Level 14, once per mission as a full action you may reduce the number of EP required to cast any spell imbued into one of your bound foci to 1. This effect lasts for a number of round equal to your class level. At the end of this period, you become nauseated for 2d6 rounds and any spells an ongoing duration you cast during the flood immediately end.

Table A.XX: The Arcanist
Code:
Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Def   Init   Wlth   Gear            EP   Abilities 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1      +0    +0     +1    +2     +0     +1     1     1G  --  --  --   2   Bond foci I, craft user, studious 
 2      +1    +0     +2    +3     +1     +1     2     1G  --  --  --   4   Condensed formula I 
 3      +1    +1     +2    +3     +1     +2     2     1G, 1R  --  --   6   Initiation 
 4      +2    +1     +2    +4     +2     +2     2     1G, 1R  --  --   8   Allure +1 
 5      +2    +1     +3    +4     +2     +3     3     2G, 1R  --  --   10  Initiation 
 6      +3    +2     +3    +5     +2     +4     3     2G, 1R, 1W  --   12  Sacrifices 
 7      +3    +2     +4    +5     +3     +4     4     2G, 1R, 1W  --   14  Initiation 
 8      +4    +2     +4    +6     +3     +5     4     2G, 2R, 1W  --   16  Eldritch defense I 
 9      +4    +3     +4    +6     +4     +5     4     2G, 2R, 1W  --   18  Initiation, sacrifices 
10      +5    +3     +5    +7     +4     +6     5     3G, 2R, 1W  --   20  Bond foci II 
11      +5    +3     +5    +7     +4     +7     5     3G, 2R, 1W, 1V   22  Condensed formula II, initiation 
12      +6    +4     +6    +8     +5     +7     6     3G, 2R, 1W, 1V   24  Allure +2, sacrifices 
13      +6    +4     +6    +8     +5     +8     6     3G, 2R, 2W, 1V   26  Initiation 
14      +7    +4     +6    +9     +6     +8     6     3G, 2R, 2W, 1V   28  Ethereal flood 1/mission 
15      +7    +5     +7    +9     +6     +9     7     3G, 3R, 2W, 1V   30  Initiation, sacrifices 
16      +8    +5     +7    +10    +6     +10    7     4G, 3R, 2W, 1V   32  Eldritch defense I 
17      +8    +5     +8    +10    +7     +10    8     4G, 3R, 2W, 1V   34  Initiation 
18      +9    +6     +8    +11    +7     +11    8     4G, 3R, 2W, 2V   36  Sacrifices 
19      +9    +6     +8    +11    +8     +11    8     4G, 3R, 2W, 2V   38  Condensed formula III, initiation 
20      +10   +6     +9    +12    +8     +12    9     4G, 3R, 3W, 2V   40  Allure +3, bond foci III

Gnostic
Few in the modern world, with its slavish devotion to technology and its sneering attitude toward anything that cannot be explained by science, seek spiritual answers to life’s many problems. Those who do often turn to religion, but occasionally one will turn inwards and seek answers through introspection and self understanding. Most humans can only dabble in such things, using half-understood practices as a springboard for bettering their own lives. But some people desire something greater, and they delve into any mystery they find that can reveal to them a new truth. A few actually discover great power harboring within them.
Attributes: Strength of personality drives the gnostic’s arcane abilities. Both Wisdom and Charisma are essential to his quest for self-knowledge and a deeper, more intuitive understanding of the world.
Vitality: 1d10 + Con modifier per level.
Starting Weapon Proficiencies: 4.

Class Skills
The Gnostic’s class skills are Bluff, Cultures, Intimidate, Investigate, Medicine, Networking, Notice, Profession, Resolve, Search, Sense Motive, Survival.
Skill Points at Level 1: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Core Ability
Serene: You gain a bonus to all Resolve checks to cast or maintain a spell while taking damage equal to your starting action dice. Further, once per session as a full action, you may spend an action die to gain a number of EP equal to one half the die’s maximum value (round down).

Class Abilities
Postulant: At Level 1, you gain the Postulant feat. Your class level is added to your caster level. You gain Ethereal points as shown on Table XX.XX: The Gnostic.
Sagacious: At Levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20, you may chose a domain. You become imbued with all of that domain’s spells and gain that domain’s granted power. You may attempt to cast any spell you are imbued with, but may not cast spells using a focus.
Force of Will I: At Level 2, you may add one half your class level (round down) to your Wisdom for up to 10 rounds as a free action. You may end this ability at any time as a free action. When the power ends, you become exhausted for 10 rounds. You may use this ability a number of times per session equal to your starting action dice.
Force of Will II: At Level 11, you may instead use this ability to increase your Charisma.
Force of Will III: At Level 19, you may instead use this ability to increase your Strength.
Initiation: Your introspection is rewarded with progressively more consistent results. At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19, you gain 1 additional Arcane feat or your maximum safe spell level increases by 1 (maximum of 5th level).
No Coincidences: The gnostic knows that his good fortune is more than chance – it is part of a greater plan. At Level 6, once per mission during the Intel Phase, you gain 1 temporary Chance feat of your choice until the end of the current mission.
At Levels 12 and 18, you may use this ability 1 additional time per mission.
Walk with Me: You attract unusual followers of unquestionable loyalty. At 9th level, you may chose a standard, special or animal NPC with an XP value of up to 75 to be your companion. If an animal is chosen, it gains the superior attribute (+4 Int) quality. The companion is a tier II NPC whose disposition towards you is always considered ally. If the companion is killed, you lose 20% of the experience points you would gain for the current mission and gain a new (but not necessarily identical) companion at the beginning of the next mission.
At Level 15, you gain a second companion, as described above. This companion may be identical to the first or entirely different.
Little Miracles: At Level 10, once per session, you may cast a spell with a casting time of 1 minute or less as a free action. This does not count against the once per round limit on spell casting, and may be done at any time during the round.
At Level 20, you may use this ability twice per session.
Inevitable Outcome: The Gnostic’s will is supreme, and none may stand against it. At Level 14, once per mission, while casting a spell, you may change the spell’s description to read “Saving Throw: None” and “Spell Resistance: No”. This may only be done for spells that you pay EP to cast, and may not be used in conjunction with an Incantation check.

Table A.XX: The Gnostic
Code:
Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Def   Init   Wlth   Gear         EP   Abilities 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1      +0    +2     +0    +2     +1     +0      1    —-  --  --    2   Craft user, sagacious, serene  
 2      +1    +3     +0    +3     +1     +0      2    1G  --  --    3   Force of will I 
 3      +2    +3     +1    +3     +2     +1      2    1G  --  --    5   Initiation 
 4      +3    +4     +1    +4     +2     +1      2    1G, 1W  --    6   Sagacious 
 5      +3    +4     +1    +4     +3     +1      3    1G, 1W  --    8   Initiation 
 6      +4    +5     +2    +5     +4     +2      3    1G, 1W  --    9   No coincidences (1 feat) 
 7      +5    +5     +2    +5     +4     +2      4    2G, 1W  --   11   Initiation 
 8      +6    +6     +2    +6     +5     +2      4    2G, 1W  --   12   Sagacious 
 9      +6    +6     +3    +6     +5     +3      4    2G, 1W, 1S   14   Initiation, walk with me 
10      +7    +7     +3    +7     +6     +3      5    2G, 1W, 1S   15   Little miracles 1/session 
11      +8    +7     +3    +7     +7     +3      5    2G, 1W, 1S   17   Force of will II, initiation  
12      +9    +8     +4    +8     +7     +4      6    2G, 2W, 1S   18   No coincidences (2 feats), sagacious  
13      +9    +8     +4    +8     +8     +4      6    2G, 2W, 1S   20   Initiation 
14      +10   +9     +4    +9     +8     +4      6    3G, 2W, 1S   21   Inevitable outcome 1/mission  
15      +11   +9     +5    +9     +9     +5      7    3G, 2W, 1S   23   Initiation, walk with me 
16      +12   +10    +5    +10    +10    +5      7    3G, 2W, 1S   24   Sagacious 
17      +12   +10    +5    +10    +10    +5      8    3G, 2W, 2S   26   Initiation 
18      +13   +11    +6    +11    +11    +6      8    3G, 2W, 2S   27   No coincidences (3 feats) 
19      +14   +11    +6    +11    +11    +6      8    3G, 3W, 2S   29   Force of will III, initiation 
20      +15   +12    +6    +12    +12    +6      9    3G, 3W, 2S   30   Little miracles 2/session, sagacious

New Skill Check
Craft-users may attempt to meditate to recover EP with their Resolve skill.

Meditation Check [Resolve]
(Wis; Active; Armor Check Penalty, Complex)
20 minutes per challenge • Base Error Range 1–2

You may meditate to recover EP. The number of challenges is equal to the number of EP desired + 2. Overcoming each Challenge requires a successful Meditation check with a base DC of 20, modified as described on table 2.37: Concentration checks (page 147).
Once the last Challenge is overcome, you recover the desired number of EP.
Cooperative: No.
Synergy Skills: None.
Retry: Yes, unless a critical failure reduces the number of Challenges completed below 0.
Threat: Your error range with each Meditation check to regain EP decreases by 1 (minimum 1). This effect lasts until the end of the current scene or until you fail a Meditation check (whichever comes first).
Critical Success: You made several breakthroughs (see Complex Tasks, page XX).
Error: Your DC with each Meditation check increases by 5. This effect lasts until the end of the current scene or until you succeed with a Meditation check (whichever comes first).
Critical Failure: You suffer a series of setbacks (see Complex Tasks, page XX).

Arcane Feats
The Arcane feat treat includes all of the feats necessary to utilize arcane magic in a Spycraft campaign. This is a setting-specific feat tree, and are only available if the arcane magics campaign quality is in effect.

Enhance Incantation: Impact
You may increase the certainty that a spell will take effect by using additional Ethereal energy.
Prerequisites: Caster level 3+.
Benefits: You may enhance spells you are casting in the following ways. The maximum number of EP you may spend to enhance a single spell is equal to one quarter your caster level (round up).
Amplify Spell: By spending 1 or more EP when casting a spell, you may increase the DC of any saving throws provoked by the spell by +2 per EP spent.
Spell Penetration: By spending 1 or more EP when casting a spell, you may add +2 per EP spent to any caster power checks required to overcome the target’s spell resistance.

Enhance Incantation: Power
You may increase the effectiveness of a spell by using additional Ethereal energy.
Prerequisites: Caster level 5+.
Benefits: You may enhance spells you are casting in the following ways. The maximum number of EP you may spend to enhance a single spell is equal to one quarter your caster level (round up).
Empower spell: You may spend 2 EP to increase all variable, numeric effects of a spell by one-half.
Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables.
Maximize spell: You may spend 3 EP to maximize all variable, numeric effects of a spell. For instance, inflict light wounds does 1d8 +1 per caster level points of standard damage. If maximized, the spell would do 8 +1 per caster level of standard damage. As with an empowered spell, saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

Enhance Incantation: Shape
You may alter the placement and size of a spell by using additional Ethereal energy.
Prerequisites: Caster level 3+.
Enlarge Spell: You may spend 1 EP to alter a spell with a range of close, medium, or long to increase its range by 100%. An enlarged spell with a range of close now has a range of 50 ft. + 5 ft./level, while medium-range spells have a range of 200 ft. + 20 ft./level and long-range spells have a range of 800 ft. + 80 ft./level.
You cannot enlarge a spell whose ranges are not defined by distance or those whose ranges are not close, medium, or long.
Widen Spell: You may spend 3 EP to alter a burst, emanation, line, or spread shaped spell to increase its area. Any numeric measurements of the spell’s area increase by 100%.
You may not widen a spell if it does not have an area of one of these four types.

Enhance Incantation: Speed
You may cast a spell more quickly or make it last longer by using additional Ethereal energy.
Prerequisites: Caster level 6+.
Extend Spell: You may spend 1 EP to extend the duration of a spell to two times the spell’s normal duration. You cannot extend a spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent.
Quicken Spell: You may spend 3 EP to reduce the casting time of a spell to one-half of normal (minimum 1 half action).

Novice
Through knowledge and formula, you can utilize the energies of the ethereal to create basic effects.
Prerequisites: Intelligence 15+, Career level 6+, Profession (Arcanist) 6+ ranks.
Benefits: You are an arcane caster and may cast 0-level spells safely. Your caster level is considered to be at least 1 if you do not gain caster levels from any other source and you gain bonus EP equal to your Intelligence modifier. You automatically learn a number of 0-levels spell of your choice equal to 1+ your caster level. You are able to cast an unlimited number of 0-level spells that you know or have access to through a focus. You may purchase ranks in the Handle Focus and Incantation skills and may use the Resolve/Meditation check to recover Ethereal Points. You may cast spells of Level 1 or higher you have access to through a focus by spending EP equal to the spell’s level or making an Incantation (Int) check.
Special: Once you have the Novice feat, you cannot gain the Postulant feat by any means, and may not gain levels in any class that grants or requires that feat.

Postulant
Through belief and ritual, you can utilize the energies of the ethereal to create basic effects.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 15+, Career level 6+, Profession (Gnostic) 6+ ranks.
Benefits: You are an arcane caster and may cast 0-level spells safely. Your caster level is considered to be at least 1 if you do not gain caster levels from any other source and you gain bonus EP equal to your Wisdom modifier. You automatically learn a number of 0-levels spell of your choice equal to 1+ your caster level. You are able to cast an unlimited number of 0-level spells that you know or are imbued with. You may purchase ranks in the Handle Focus and Incantation skills and may use the Resolve/Meditation check to recover Ethereal Points. You may cast spells of Level 1 or higher you have access to through a focus by spending EP equal to the spell’s level or making an Incantation (Wis) check.
Special: Once you have the Postulant feat, you cannot gain the Novice feat by any means, and may not gain levels in any class that grants or requires that feat.

Arcane Powers
The Handle Foci and Incantation skills included in the Dark Inheritance campaign setting are designated as Arcane Powers. Powers are purchased as skills, except that characters may not gain any ranks in Powers without a character option specifically allowing them to do so and the character’s maximum ranks any Arcane Power is equal to his Caster Level +3.
Powers are used to make power checks as if they were skills and have the same check caps based on ranks as skills (see table 2.4: Result Caps, page 91). If a character has 0 ranks in a power he may not attempt a power check with it under any circumstances. Power checks do not typically receive synergy bonuses and cannot be performed cooperatively. Powers may not be targeted or improved by Advanced Skill feats in any way.

Casting a Spell
A spell is a one-time magical effect. You must choose which spell to cast – this spell must either be one your Craft-using character knows (if he a living focus) or one that is imbued within his focus (if he is not a living focus). In order to actually incant spells, you must spend ethereal points (EP) or make a casting check (see the Incantation power, page XX).

Casting Time
You must spend the spell’s casting time drawing energies from the Ethereal, before releasing it as a spell effect. Most spells have a casting time of 1 full action. Others take 1 round or more, while a few require only a free action. You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect.
A spell that takes longer than 1 round to cast comes into effect just before your turn after the casting time is complete. These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails (no roll required).
You may only cast one spell per round, even if the casting time is a free action or a half action.

Safe Spell Level
You can only spend EP on spells that are of your safe spell level. The Novice and Postulant feats only allow you to cast 0-level spells safely. Most arcane classes have the initiation class ability, which may be used to increase the level of spells that are safe to cast.

Spending Ethereal Points
The easiest and safest method of casting a spell only requires you to spend EP and then the allotted casting time. 0-level spells do not require the expenditure of EP, however, and never require an Incantation check. A spell costs an amount of EP equal to its level. If you loose a spell through a failed Resolve skill check or for some other reason you loose the EP you spent to cast the spell.
You regain EP through Resolve/Meditation checks. Spending EP may also be required to activate certain class abilities, ethereal abilities, or supernatural and spell-like abilities. How these abilities are activated and how much EP they cost is explained in the abilities description.

Incantation (Int or Wis — Focus Power)
The Incantation power represents your talent with various facets of the Ethereal, each of which allows you to manage spells from a different school. You may only cast spells from schools you have the appropriate focus for. Your first focus must be the universal school. A forte in a school increases your caster level by 1 when casting spells of that school.
Focus Options: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation, Universal.
Combat Actions: None.
Dramatic Conflict: None.
Sample Knowledge: As per Spellcraft (see Dark Inheritance, page 145).

Casting Check [Incantation]
(Int or Wis; Active; Armor Check Penalty)
Varies by spell • Base Error Range 1–2

You may cast spells encoded into a focus (Int-based) or imbued into your person (Wis-based) without spending EP.

Table XX.XX: Incantations
Code:
Spell   DC   Error      Backlash* 
Level        Increase
---------------------------------
0       25     +0       1 point 
1       30     +0       1d4 
2       35     +1       1d6+1 
3       40     +2       1d8+2 
4       45     +3       1d10+3 
5       50     +4       1d12+4 
Condition 

Safe    --     -―       -―
Spell
Unsafe  +5     +2       -― 
Spell 
* This is subdual damage. If the check 
fails, this damage is doubled.

Cooperative: No.
Synergy Skills: None.
Retry: Yes.
Threat: You do not take damage from casting the spell.
Critical Success: As threat, plus the spell’s save DC (if any) is increased by +2 per die spent to activate the critical success.
Error: In addition to the casting failing, the backlash is instead lethal damage which may not be reduced by damage reduction.
Critical Failure: As error, plus you suffer 1 point of lethal damage applied directly to wounds for each action die spent to active the critical failure.
Special: An Incantation check is only required if the caster does no wish to spend EP to cast a spell.

Adapting existing d20 spells to Spycraft 2.0
Most d20 System™ spells convert to the Spycraft engine with little effort. The following section provides guidelines for the few that do not carry across directly.
Casting time conversion: The time required to cast d20 system spells is slightly increased. Use the following conversions.

d20 System Actions Spycraft Actions
Free Action Free Action
Move Equivalent Action Half Action
Standard Action Full Action
1 Round or greater As written.

Somatic (S), Material (M), and Divine Focus (DF): You do not need to be able to move, use a divine focus, or use material components as all three are subsumed into the necessity to have physical contact with a focus – or be a living focus. Spells that have expensive material components (50 gold pieces or more) require the caster to expend a bit of his own life essence instead. For every 10 gold pieces required (round up), the caster must expend 1 experience point.
Attacks: Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents, are considered attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper targets are attacks. Summoning spells are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone (though the summoned creature might!). Only spells that have attack rolls have threat and error ranges for these attacks (typically an error range of 1 and a threat range of 20).
Bonus Types: Usually, a bonus has a type that indicates how the spell grants the bonus. Two bonuses of the same type don’t stack (with the exception of dodge bonuses).
Energy Types: Any instance of divine or profane damage is instead considered “Ethereal”. Any damage from [Force] effects (such as magic missile) are considered regular, non-magical damage and affected by physical damage reduction normally.
Increased Level: Some spells have an increased level in Spycraft terms.
Detect Magic: It is not as easy to detect the presence of magic. The detect magic spell is a 2nd level spell. Otherwise treat this spell as written.
Invisibility: The spell level of any spell that produces an invisibility effect is increased by 1.
Special Cases: The following spells require special attention.
“Animate” Spells: any undead or objects animated by a spell return to their previous inert state at the end of the spell’s duration, and never become uncontrolled.
“Cure Wounds” Spells: The casting time of these spells (and any other spell that causes a character to regain hit points) is increased to “1 minute” and the damage cured is applied to vitality points only. These may be cast to cure wound points, but they only cure 1 point per die of damage normally cured. Cure minor wounds may not be used to cure wound points.
“Summon” Spells: All spells which summon a creature have their casting time and duration increased by ×10 (typically with rounds becoming minutes).
Damage types: Some spells affect damage or weapons of one or more particular types, including bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing. For these purposes, Spycraft melee weapons produce the same type of damage as their d20 System counterparts (GC discretion if a direct counterpart in unavailable and conversion is not clear). In general, firearms are considered piercing (particularly those which are armor piercing). Shotgun rounds with the Takedown quality or any firearm round which does subdual damage is considered bludgeoning.
Improved Critical Range: Any spell that multiplies an attack’s threat range instead increases the threat range by a bonus equal to the multiplier (×2 becomes +2 threat range, ×3 becomes +3 threat range, etc.). Multiple threat range bonuses from spell effects never stack.
Improved Critical Multiplier: Any spell that increases the critical multiplier instead reduces the number of dice required to activate a critical hit with that attack. For each factor that the multiplier is increased, then number of action dice required to activate a critical is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 0).
3.0 vs. 3.5: In general, if two versions of a spell exist due to conversion to the 3.5 edition, use the 3.5 version (if available).
Converted Spells: Official Spycraft conversions sharing the same name as their d20 System™ counterparts supercede these rules.
Banned Spells: The following spells are inappropriate for Spycraft.
  • Any spell that affects only characters with a specific alignment.
  • Any spell allowing travel to another plane, including the astral or ethereal planes.
  • Any spell that relies upon, modifies, or provides attacks of opportunity.
  • Any spell which brings a character back from the dead. Spells created from the Ethereal simply cannot bring the deceased back to life.

New Arcane Gadget Mechanisms
Foci are requisitioned as a sub-type of gadgets.

Foci Quality: This mechanism may only be added to a spell foci. The DC of all Incantation checks to cast spells encoded in the spell foci is reduced by the Focus quality power rating x 5.
Spell Foci: This item contains one or more spell formula which an Arcanist may use to cast spells. The maximum level of spells the foci may be encoded with is equal to its power rating. The number of spell levels worth of spell formula the foci comes encoded with when requisitioned is equal to (it’s power rating + 1)^2. The maximum number of spell levels that can be encoded in the foci is equal to (it’s power rating + 2)^2, modified by the size of the housing, using the wound multiplier on table 5.13: Size (page 349). 0-level spells count as 1/2 of a level for the number of spell levels that come encoded or may be encoded. Only 1 spell foci mechanism may be added to a single housing.
Spell Formula: Spell foci you already possess come encoded with an additional number of spell levels worth of spell formula. These additional spell formula may be distributed across multiple spell foci if desired.

Table XX.XX: Arcane Gadget Mechanisms
Code:
Mechanism        PR   Battery     Save   Comp    Reputation\Net Worth 
Caliber I 
Spell Foci       0    ―           ―      20/+1   ― 
Spell formula    ―    6 levels    ―      ―       ― 
Caliber II 
Foci Quality     1    ―           +1     ―       ― 
Spell Foci       1    ―           ―      25/+1   ― 
Spell formula    ―    9 levels    ―      ―       ― 
Caliber III 
Spell Foci       2    ―           ―      30/+2   ― 
Spell formula    ―    12 levels   ―      ―       ― 
Caliber IV 
Foci Quality     2    ―           +2     ―       ― 
Spell Foci       3    ―           ―      35/+2   ― 
Spell formula    ―    18 levels   ―      ―       ― 
Caliber V 
Spell Foci       4    ―           ―      40/+3   ― 
Spell formula    ―    24 levels   ―      ―       ― 
Caliber VI 
Foci Quality     3    ―           +3     ―       15/$750,000 
Foci Quality     4    ―           +4     ―       20/$1,000,000 
Spell Foci       5    ―           ―      50/+4   25/$1,250,000

Sample Domains
Gnostics and other casters who have the living focus quality cast spells from domains rather than object foci. Domains are groups of themed spells of levels 1 through 5. Every domain includes a power that you gain when you choose it. Each domain is a group of spells with an accompanying supernatural power that may be learned by any class with the Sagacious class ability. Many of the following domains are adapted from the Player’s Handbook.

Air Domain
Granted Powers: For determining range only, your caster level is considered to be its actual value +5.
Air Domain Spells
1 Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds you.
2 Wind Wall: Deflects arrows, smaller creatures, and gases.
3 Gaseous Form: Subject becomes insubstantial and can fly slowly.
4 Air Walk: Subject treads on air as if solid (climb at 45-degree angle).
5 Control Winds: Change wind direction and speed.

Animal Domain
Granted Powers: You can use speak with animals as a free action for a cost of 1 EP regardless of whether you know the spell or it is of a safe spell level for you. Knowledge (animals) is always considered a class skill for you.
Animal Domain Spells
1 Calm Animals: Calms (2d4 + level) HD of animals.
2 Hold Animal: Paralyzes one animal for 1 round/caster level.
3 Dominate Animal: Subject animal obeys silent mental commands.
4 Summon Nature’s Ally IV*: Calls creature to fight.
5 Commune with Nature: Learn about terrain for 1 mile/ caster level.
*Can only summon animals.

Death Domain
Granted Power: You may use a death touch once per session at a cost of 3 EP. After paying the EP you must succeed on a melee touch attack against a living creature (using the rules for touch spells). If your touch is successful, roll 1d6 per caster level. If the total at least equals the target’s vitality + wounds, it dies (no save).
Death Domain Spells
1 Cause Fear: One creature of 5 HD or less flees for 1d4 rounds.
2 Death Knell: Kill dying creature and gain 1d8 temporary hp, +2 to Str, and +1 caster level.
3 Animate Dead: Creates undead skeletons and zombies.
4 Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
5 Slay Living: Touch attack kills subject.

Destruction Domain
Granted Power: You gain the ability to smite a foe for a cost of 3 EP. After paying the cost, make a single melee attack with a +4 bonus on attack rolls and a bonus on damage rolls equal to your caster level (if you hit). You must declare the smite before making the attack. This ability costs of 3 EP.
Destruction Domain Spells
1 Inflict Light Wounds: Touch attack, 1d8 damage +1/caster level (max +5).
2 Shatter: Sonic vibration damages objects or crystalline creatures.
3 Contagion: Infects subject with chosen disease.
4 Inflict Critical Wounds: Touch attack, 4d8 damage +1/caster level (max +20).
5 Inflict Light Wounds, Mass: Deals 1d8 damage +1/caster level to any creatures.

Earth Domain
Granted Power: You gain 1 point of damage reduction.
Earth Domain Spells
1 Magic Stone: Three stones become +1 projectiles, 1d6 +1 damage.
2 Soften Earth and Stone: Turns stone to clay or dirt to sand or mud.
3 Stone Shape: Sculpts stone into any shape.
4 Spike Stones: Creatures in area take 1d8 damage, may be slowed.
5 Wall of Stone: Creates a stone wall that can be shaped.

Fire Domain
Granted Power: Any spell you cast which inflicts standard or subdual damage deals additional points of damage to each target equal to the spell’s level.
Fire Domain Spells
1 Burning Hands: 1d4/caster level fire damage (max 5d4).
2 Produce Flame: 1d6 damage +1/caster level, touch or thrown.
3 Resist Energy*: Ignores 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
4 Wall of Fire: Deals 2d4 fire damage out to 10 ft. and 1d4 out to 20 ft. Passing through wall deals 2d6 damage +1/caster level.
5 Fire Shield: Creatures attacking you take fire damage; you’re protected from heat or cold.
*Resist cold or fire only

Healing Domain
Granted Power: You cast healing spells at +1 caster level.
Healing Domain Spells
1 Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 vitality damage +1/caseter level (max +5) or 1 wound.
2 Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 vitality damage +1/caster level (max +10) or 2 wounds.
3 Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 vitality damage +1/caster level (max +15) or 3 wounds.
4 Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 vitality damage +1/caster level (max +20) or 4 wounds.
5 Cure Light Wounds, Mass: Cures 1d8 vitality damage +1/caster level (max +25) for many creatures or 1 wound for many creatures

Knowledge Domain
Granted Power: Whenever you spend an action die to increase a Knowledge check, 2 dice are added instead of one.
Knowledge Domain Spells
1 Detect Secret Doors: Reveals hidden doors within 60 ft.
2 Detect Thoughts: Allows “listening” to surface thoughts.
3 Clairaudience/Clairvoyance: Hear or see at a distance for 1 min./caster level.
4 Divination: Provides useful advice for specific proposed actions.
5 True Seeing: Lets you see all things as they really are.

Luck Domain
Granted Power: You gain the power of good fortune. After paying 3 EP you re-roll one roll that you have just made before the GC declares whether the roll results in success or failure. You must take the result of the re-roll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.
Luck Domain Spells
1 Entropic Shield: Ranged attacks against you have 20% miss chance.
2 Aid: +1 on attack rolls, +1 against fear, 1d8 temporary hp +1/caster level (max +10).
3 Protection from Energy: Absorb 12 points/caster level of damage from one kind of energy.
4 Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
5 Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.

Protection Domain
Granted Power: As a free action, you may spend 1 EP to gain a +2 arcane bonus to any saving throw you make. This ability may only be used once per round.
Protection Domain Spells
1 Sanctuary: Opponents can’t attack you, and you can’t attack.
2 Shield Other: You take half of subject’s damage.
3 Protection from Energy: Absorb 12 points/level of damage from one kind of energy.
4 Spell Immunity: Subject is immune to one spell per four levels.
5 Spell Resistance: Subject gains SR 12 + level.

Water Domain
Granted Powers: For determining area of effect only, your caster level is considered to be its actual value +3.
Water Domain Spells
1 Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds you.
2 Fog Cloud: Fog obscures vision.
3 Water Breathing: Subjects can breathe underwater.
4 Control Water: Raises or lowers bodies of water.
5 Ice Storm: Hail deals 5d6 damage in cylinder 40 ft. across.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Outstanding! now only one question remains:

When will I be able to see all of this in print form so that I can properly purchase it?

Thanks SO MUCH for your help...

--Steve

Morgenstern

First Post
This is all conversion material for the PbS edittion of Dark Inheritance. The folks at Mythic Dreams asked me to provide this free of charge (along with a couple other sections up on the conversion post on the Spycraft forums) so that their book would be fully useable with 2.0. I strongly encourage picking it up, as there is a lot more flavor text and additional options not described here :).

Von Ether

Legend
SteveC said:
Outstanding! now only one question remains:

When will I be able to see all of this in print form so that I can properly purchase it?

Thanks SO MUCH for your help...

--Steve

I believe we just saw something that's called a web enhancement. :)

Thank you AEG!!!

Morgenstern

First Post
SteveC said:
Hello all!

Greetings :)!

Just a question for those of you in the know on Spycraft 2.0. When our current 1970s spy game ends I am thinking about running a modern magic campaign based on Bureau 13. I think Spycraft would do an excellent job with this, but I'll need some rules for magic and other cool powers.

For those of you who don't know, Bureau 13 is a modern occult game where you play members of a government organization that helps keep the supernatural out of the public's eye. Magic, psi, faith, monsters...all those sorts of things are real, and your role is to keep the public blissfully unaware of them.

Funny. I'm pondering a series of .pdf products with a similar theme, all revolving around as somewhat non-descript US govenrment Agency called the VAO. The overall campaign setting is called "Vow of Silence" If you do a search for either on the Spycraft boards, you'll find a couple of new Origin options I posted as teasers for such a setting. They might be useful to you :).

First of all, I'm wondering about dealing with knowledge of the supernatural and the occult. I was hoping to be able to add magic, psi and faith as foci for an existing skill, but I can't seem to find one that is appropriate. I am thinking about making a new skill, occult, for the basis, but then I will have to determine which classes get it as a base skill. Does anyone have any ideas here?

As far as the rules for magic, psi and faith, I am considering using the system from Elements of Magic for, well, magic, the Psychic Handbook for PSI, but I don't have a strong handle on how to do religious effects or faith.

Check the conversions thread - the faith-powered ritual magic from the SFA setting is explained in 2.0 terms there. It's powered by a new focus for the Cultures skill (which convienently makes it available to most sensible classes, and accessible through several Origin options) :).

Does anyone have suggestions on how to accomplish these things? Or can you tell me abouth that cool game in the works that will answer all of my questions. By the way, if anyone is interested in a Bureau 13: Powered by Spycraft, I'd love to get involved with it...

Vow of Silence should do some of that, but it won't be out for a while. Until then you are most certainly invited to throw out a post on the Lisence to Improvise forum (kind of a home for settings and homebrew for SC2.0). I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback there!

Hope this helps!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads