• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft 2.0 Combat Tips?

Abe.ebA

First Post
So I started running a spycraft 2.0 Delta Green game a few months ago. It was going fairly well and I was starting to get a handle on the more complicated combat system but then got derailed by people's schedules etc.

In any case, I'm about to get started again and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for keeping track during combat. The whole shifting initiative thing in particular was a challenge to keep up with and both I and my players (all of us new to the system) had a hard time remembering all of the options available during a combat turn. I tried a quick-reference sheet for combat options but it still had a lot of info on it. I'm thinking about using some sort of system of magnets or a cork board pre-labeled 0-20 or 30 to track which initiative segment people are in and various status effects.

Anybody have any suggestions for a) tracking combat, b) tracking available combat options, c) running combat in general?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
For initiative tracking this is the best tool I've come across. I was skeptical at first but I've had a much easier time tracking initiative (including readying, delays, and forced initiative changes) with this combat pad. The only question is if you need more magnets, and they sell magnet packs if you do.
Just make sure you keep and use the cardboard backer that it comes with. That solves all the flimsiness issues people complain about and extends the overall life of the pad.

As far as combat options go, all I can advise is to keep a list around for when you want to do something interesting. That way you can check to see if there are already mechanics for it.

As far as running combats go, make your players describe what they want to do, not real off the mechanics of their actions. Take their descriptions and find the relevant mechanics. This keeps combats flavorful, interesting, and makes sure people use the mechanics that fit their expectations of the game. It can slow things down but I've found this approach vastly superior to other methods.

Good Luck!

Psion

Adventurer
Abe.ebA said:
In any case, I'm about to get started again and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for keeping track during combat. The whole shifting initiative thing in particular was a challenge to keep up with and both I and my players (all of us new to the system) had a hard time remembering all of the options available during a combat turn. I tried a quick-reference sheet for combat options but it still had a lot of info on it. I'm thinking about using some sort of system of magnets or a cork board pre-labeled 0-20 or 30 to track which initiative segment people are in and various status effects.

Anybody have any suggestions for a) tracking combat, b) tracking available combat options, c) running combat in general?

Shifting initiative I handled with a combat tracker similar to the Paizo one ValhallaGH pointed out; that one's pretty good for D&D, but for the purposes of Spycraft with shifting initiative, the Ready and Waiting board might be better:
http://www.readyandwaiting.biz/
It's a magnetic board with movable markers as well as note-holders for status effects.

Lacking that, I don't know if you have 2nd printing, but in included an initiative tracking sheet. If you don't, it is up on the crafty website:
http://www.crafty-games.com/downloads (Scroll down to "initiative tracking sheet" under "Game Control Tools)

I've also just used a dry erase board if one was handy.

Tracking available combat options: same place as above, grab the "GC Handouts"; one page of that has an action summary. For my Convention/Gameday games, I always print that page out and attach it to the character sheets, as well as a special sheet with any maneuvers the character has due to combat feats.

Don't know what other suggestions to add without specific questions, but there was a signs & portents article on Spycraft combat; there's a copy of that on the same page, scroll down to articles and look at the Signs & Portals #51 article.

HTH; let me know if there is anything else you are having a particular problem with.

SignOtheTimes

First Post
Importantly, remember that Spycraft is scalably crunchy -- just because the rule is in there doesn't mean you have to use every subsystem. Play with what you feel comfortable with -- if the fluid initiative system is more headache than it's worth, you might consider reverting to static initiative (see the Sidebar on static initiative... page 326 in the second-printing).

I've usually used either a whiteboard or have even laid down a line of masking tape on one edge of the table numbered 0 to 30, with notecards (or halves of notecards) representing each combatant (often including other useful info like Defense or other things that as a GC I like to be able to see at a quick glance). As initiative is determined or changed, the notecard positions slide around.

Also, eventually, that GC handout is going to get updated (yeah yeah, I've been saying that for awhile now), so if you end up wishing it was different, please feel free to gripe about it and I'll add any "desirements" to the list.

Remove ads