• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft 2.0 PDF available

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I've converted the dramatic conflicts over to d20Modern before, a little rough-and-ready, so I don't have any notes at this time (and my SC2 book is on the other end of the state as well).

I've stolen the Stress damage concept, which worked ... okay.

Some of the book is ... rewriting things from d20 that didn't really need to be rewritten, I think. It feels TOO weighty, to me, like the authors got just a bit too impressed with themselves. So you've got things that would be useful, and easily transferable, but you have to step backward three times to get it back to d20Modern.

About 1/3 of the feats would be useful, but many of the others are rehashes or rely on things particular to SC2 ... how the skill system works, floating initiative, Stress damage, etc.

The NPC creation tables would be interesting. Have to look at how the XP granted would interact with Modern. It's based off of "Threat Level", which is just average character level based on a 5-man party.

I've adapted the Subplots section for a game I want to run eventually. It's a pretty cool little addition that gives people a reason to take troublesome background elements and grants some little bonuses that could be converted to d20M.

--fje

2WS-Steve

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
I've converted the dramatic conflicts over to d20Modern before, a little rough-and-ready, so I don't have any notes at this time (and my SC2 book is on the other end of the state as well).

Just for the sake of argument, if you submitted that to Crafty and they published a short PDF of just their dramatic conflict rules translated into d20 Modern, then they'd have at least one automatic sale -- and, judging from the success of Hot Pursuit, maybe a few more...

:D

Last edited:

C. Baize

First Post
2WS-Steve said:
Just for the sake of argument, if you submitted that to Crafty and they published a short PDF of just their dramatic conflict rules translated into d20 Modern, then they'd have at least one automatic sale -- and, judging from the success of Hot Pursuit, maybe a few more...

:D

That would certainly put a much better argument forth toward me getting SpyCraft 2 PDF, AND that little product of yours if it came out.

Armistice

First Post
Print to PDF with proper bookmarks etc. It isn't printer friendly but they weren't going for that.

C.Baize. I own both, but I'm opposite to you, I mine d20 Modern. So my opinion is with a little work they are both good for mining. As I understand it, there are shortly going to be toolbox type stuff put out by Crafty with the PoweredBySpycraft tag. If you want to whet your appetite you may want to start there.

C. Baize

First Post
Well... we'll see how it looks.
I went ahead and got it.
Well... I paid for it, and sent the link to my wife at work, since I'm on dial up.

Psion

Adventurer
C. Baize said:
Well... we'll see how it looks.
I went ahead and got it.
Well... I paid for it, and sent the link to my wife at work, since I'm on dial up.

Ow.

I was gonna mention I am pretty sure it's the biggest PDF I ever purchased.

It weighs in at 91 MB.

C. Baize

First Post
So... I'm a little way into it, and I'm thinking I might go the Grim Tales route with it, as far as conversion goes.
Meaning that I will likely take a lot of the class features, and turn them into Talent Trees (this is all just for my group's usage, of course). I think that'll work well enough.
As for the feats, my first thought on seeing some of them was that many of them were too specific to be of much use, but then looking at them more objectively, they're not necessarily more specific than D20 Modern feats, really, when taken as a whole. For instance the This... is my boom stick feat... at first glance it looked too narrow and focussed, but then really, it's just a shotgun specific form of a Weapon Specialization type of feat (I know it's not exact, but it's a decent analogy).
So, the porting over won't be terribly difficult.
All in all, it's going to be a decent resource to mine.
There may even be a rule or two I'll yoink for D20 Modern.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads