• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Spycraft 2.0] The November Man, anyone?

Michael Dean

Explorer
Back in the early ninety's there was this great spy series by Bill Granger, and the first one was "The November Man". The main character, Devereau, aka the November Man, was kind of a cross between an American James Bond and maybe Ludlum's Jason Bourne. Basically a real badass.

He belonged to "R" Section; an intelligence gathering organization formed by JFK after the Bay of Pigs fiasco to compete with the CIA and keep them honest in their intelligence assessments. "R" Section got its name because it was funded under paragraph R in the 1963 Congressional Budget under the Department of Agriculture's appropriations. Why the DOA? Because it was a black ops organization and funding through Agriculture would throw off anyone inquiring about it's real purpose. It did annual assessments of foreign nations' agriculture yields to maintain its cover. It was miniscule in size compared to the CIA, but very effective, and the CIA hated "R" Section.

Top agents in "R" Section were designated by the months of the year, a la the "OO" designation in the Bond series. They were also designated by the number 9. A lesser agent who was lower down the totem pole would thus be a "Third Man", for example, while the January (or February) Man would be a "Ninth Man", IIRC. There would only be one calendar man at a time, however, so there would never be two November Men at the same time, but presumably there could be 12 calendar men (I didn't get my hands on all of the series, so I could be wrong).

Anyway, I was hoping there were other fans of the series here who would want to brainstorm stats for Spycraft 2.0 for any of the series' main characters. There were like, 13 books in all, with some really cool Soviet and East German bad guys that would make great npcs. The whole series was pretty much during the Cold War and its aftermath, say 1979 - the early 90's. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Aran

Explorer
Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting and I'm going to check it out. Thanks! I'm always looking for good espionage inspiration :)

FYI, I looked them up and this seems to be a fairly complete list of the books:
The November Man (1979)
Schism (1981)
The Shattered Eye (1982)
The British Cross (1983)
The Zurich Numbers (1984)
Hemingway's Notebook (1986)
There Are No Spies (1986) The Infant Of Prague (1987)
Henry Mcgee Is Not Dead (1988)
The Man Who Heard Too Much (1989)
League Of Terror (1990)
The Last Good German (1991)
Burning The Apostle (1993)

Michael Dean

Explorer
Aran said:
Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting and I'm going to check it out. Thanks! I'm always looking for good espionage inspiration :)

FYI, I looked them up and this seems to be a fairly complete list of the books:
[*snip]

Yeah, that's all the books. I came across my old copies last week after buying Spycraft 2.0. I realized that I never found books #2-5 in bookstores back when I was collecting them. Thank God for the internet; I'll be ordering them this week on amazon.

I started re-reading the first one last night. It's a little dated but still pretty good. I notice a lot more similarities to Jason Bourne this time around. Devereaux is a former Asian studies professor who was recruited by the agency and spent a lot of time in southeast Asia during Vietnam; very Bourne-like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads