• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[spycraft] Agency names

Pigeon

First Post
Anyone got any good names for agencys? I'm going to be starting up a game soon and have got writers block when it comes for a catchy agency name.

I've been toying with H.I.V.E but I can't think of any words to go in the acronym!! perhaps the World Inteligence Organasation (W.I.O) or Clandestine operation services (C.O.S.) but non of these are really lighting my fire.

Any suggestions?

leaghe

First Post
The Commission for Atomic Resources and Development (CARD)was formed shortly after WW II to monitor the development of atomic technology. As other nations reached nuclear capability, CARD became an international (and covert) agency. Since the end of the Cold War, it's sphere of influence has expanded to cover most types of Terrorism. Naturally, CARD's agents are called Wild CARDs :) .

Leaghe

Ranger REG

Explorer
IIRC, RPGA puts out a Polyhedron newsletter magazine issue that focuses on Top Secret/S.I. It has an article that contains useful words when trying to find an acronym for an espionage organization in your campaign. It is also listed in alphabetical order for your convenience.

Sadly, I forgot what issue number it was. But it was kinda fun.

AEG should put this one out as a resource aid or web enhancement to the Spycraft Espionage Handbook (if it is NOT used for their Shadowforce Archer campaign setting).

Enforcer

Explorer
Mine is Silhouette (not an acronym, thank God!). It's got a nice, shadowy feel to it.

Btw, I got the name by having Microsoft Word tell my synonyms for "shadow." This was after I did synonyms for a whole bunch of other appropriate words in the hope of getting a decent acronym name. It might work for you. [shrug]

Game Control

First Post
Enforcer said:
Mine is Silhouette (not an acronym, thank God!). It's got a nice, shadowy feel to it.

Admit it; the truth is that you ripped it off from Deus Ex! ;)

Seriously though, ripping off is the most efficient technique for developping your own campaign. As long as the players can't pinpoint the origin of your names and idea, everything's fine.

By the way;

HIVE;

(H)oratio (IVE)rto
(HI)ldegard (VE)Klaus

or any other name containing the desire letters.

When you have nothing else left to explain a desired acronym, you can always rely on your main villain's megalomania and simply use his or her name.

Last edited:

Enforcer

Explorer
Actually, I did do the Word synonym thing for the word "shadow." But, I will admit that I remembered it being from Deus Ex after I saw it. I was also considering a blatant rip-off of UNATCO (United Nations Anti-Terrorism COalition) before I got desperate enough to use the Word thesaurus. Other cool groups from Deus Ex: MJ-12 (Majestic-12), the Illuminati, FEMA (the disaster agency of the U.S., according to the game, they get martial rule of the country if things really go South), and the NSF (National Secessionist Forces).

If this works, I'm attaching a quick Word file about Silhouette that I wrote. I took the flavor of La Femme Nikita, and put it into different clothes. See what you think.

Attachments

• silhouette.doc
    38 KB · Views: 173

Frostmarrow

First Post
Neutral European States Coalition (NESC). The neutral nations in Europe during the WWII founded this organisation to ensure the respective nations' sovereignty. It is being supported by four nations: Ireland, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Oops. That's pretty daft. Why would those countries have a name in English?

Last edited:

Dieter

First Post
"The Agency"

I like the sterile and ambiguous nature of the title. It gives the mystique and officialness without being hokey or instantly indentifiable. That comes in handy during interrogation or deniability

-Who do you work for?
-The Agency
-Which agency.
-THE Agency.

No amount of sodium pentathol or torture is going to force out a direct name or answer....ever. :)

Pigeon

First Post
I've ended up going for a similar concept as just "the agency". Namely "the foundation", inspired I am ashaimed to say from Knight Rider.

This name has the advantage of being vague enough for me to keep the actual goals of the organisation very secret, even from the players (bwa-hahahah)

Remove ads