• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft Meets GI Joe

Gaius

First Post
While in the process of crafting the details of my Spycraft campaign, I found myself pondering the inclusion of GI Joe characters. The Shadowforce Archer sourcebook cites GI Joe as a genre of inspiration for the Company; perhaps they're on to something.

Now I apologize if this thread is redundant and treads on ground that has perhaps already been covered, but what does everyone think about this? I'm not talking about a 100% Spycraft/GI Joe cross-over. I'm simply thinking about transposing some of the characters from the latter to the former.

Browsing through the old file cards at http://www.yojoe.com has already provided me with ideas for a few of these conversions. Snake-Eyes would be a great agent for the Guardians of the Whispering Knife, but what about others?

Major Bludd, a mercenary employed by Cobra, was trained by the Australian SAS and served in the French Foreign Legion. Perhaps he ran afoul of the Archer Foundation in his past, or possibly the Gemeinschafft Consortium. Maybe he's now in cahoots with PERIL, working on contract for them.

James McMullen, aka Destro, is an international arms dealer operating out of Scotland. This puts him in Room 39's sphere of influence, but at the same time, it's possible that ol Destro is a thorn in the side of Fade, whose criminal organization may run counter to Destro's.

On the side of angels, you have the quintessential GI Joe, Duke, who's profile would make him the perfect agent for the Company. Fluent in several different languages and a veteran of the US Special Forces, Sgt Conrad Hauser would make a great NPC for characters to meet and interact with.

These are just a few.

Obviously I'm not looking at recapturing the hokey essence of the cartoon series. If anything, I'm thinking more along the lines of the old comic book series. My main intention is to simply cull from the GI Joe history an assortment of characters who would fit well in a Spycraft game. So let's hear your ideas, including how you'd utilize certain Joe's or what stats and classes you'd give them.

Gaius

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
GI Joe...

You have reminded me hundreds of hours playing with my little action figures, the comics, the series. I loved GI Joe...

Yes, Spycraft could be great for a GI Joe game!

novyet

First Post
I would agree it would be very good for GI Joe, it'd even be good for a mixed world. Using PERIL for Cobra for instance, and the joe's as agents of Archer

Ranger REG

Explorer
Gaius said:

While in the process of crafting the details of my Spycraft campaign, I found myself pondering the inclusion of GI Joe characters. The Shadowforce Archer sourcebook cites GI Joe as a genre of inspiration for the Company; perhaps they're on to something.
(Note to self: Get Spycraft ... NOW!)

Actually seeing how AEG thought of great ways to stick within the character creation structure for the d20 System -- replacing "Races" with "Department," for example -- I wonder what would happen if you use Military Branch instead, and not just in general but perhaps specific allegiance such as the US Marine Rifleman, the UK's Royal Marine Regimental Soldier(?), US Navy SEAL, Russian Army Spetsnaz(sp?), etc.

Their military's traits may not always include ability modifier but starting skills.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
It is a good idea, Reg.
I've modified myself adding civilian "departments" as origins of the character: Police, Scientist...

I asked this very same thing a few months ago and am still working on a method to do the conversion (with what little free time I have available these days). I also though that military branches instead of departments is a good way to go and have been collecting old copies of the comics and tech manuals against the day when I can finally sit down and hammer the characters and equipment out.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I know one is a DOLL collection and the other is an action figure collection you can play with Star Wars action figures. :p :p

Now, let's try to get back on-topic please. And yes, we are referring to Hasbro's GI JOE action figures that appeared in comics and animated series, that two of them was voiced by Don Johnson ("Falcon") and professional wrestler (now works as WWE management) Sgt. Slaughter.

Gaius

First Post
Falcon would have a place in my Spycraft campaign. Sgt Slaughter would not. :)

As soon as I get some time off, I'm going to try and make up some stats for an NPC Joe. I'll post them here or give a link to the Rogue's Gallery. If any of you have got a stat block for a GI Joe character, don't be afraid to share it. I think it'd be kind of cool to get a collection of these guys on paper. Something to pool from.

Gaius

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads