• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft RPG: Any one play?

Don

First Post
My gaming group is interested in playing SpyCraft, thanks to the lite rules that are floating around. Does anyone have the official book? Is it any good?

I've seen it advertized that the core rulebook for SpyCraft *requires* the D&D Players Handbook (thanks to the deviously conceived "Open" Gaming License...). How much does the book rely on the D&D PHB, if at all?

Jezrael

First Post
We'll actually be starting a game this weekend (probably Friday-ish). I'm pretty hyped up as I get to be Control. Oh the devious plots I have to spring on my hapless group!

To sort of answer your question on a read through the rules look awesome...but a playtest will really bring out if it's good or not (or even just good for ME).

Oh and it says it requires the PHB but I think it's just for minor bits...if I run on something I'll definately have it on hand just in case.

Last edited:

Don

First Post
Jezrael said:
Oh and it says it requires the PHB but I think it's just for minor bits...if I run on something I'll definately have it on hand just in case.

It's just that I remember Ryan Dancey saything that new games using the d20 ruleset can't contain rules for character creation (or was that character advancement).

Is this stuff included in the Spycraft rulebook, or does it refer to the PHB for some of its character creation/levelling rules. I don't want to spend $40 on an incomplete rulebook, regardless of whether or not I have the PHB. It's the principle of it.

Jezrael

First Post
From what I understand is that it doesn't have how to roll up stats, spend skill points, or the charts telling you what amount of XP = levels. except for the level advancment all things easily done without.

Dieter

First Post
I'm very close (as in all characters are done and I've prefaced the mission) to starting a PBEM game.

As long as someone has the full rules, it shouldn't be a problem running the game.

Calculating XP and level-ups should be pretty standard for a seasoned gamemaster.

Tsyr

Explorer
Don said:

Is this stuff included in the Spycraft rulebook, or does it refer to the PHB for some of its character creation/levelling rules. I don't want to spend $40 on an incomplete rulebook, regardless of whether or not I have the PHB. It's the principle of it.

See, it's not incomplete... it's as complete as they are legaly allowed to make it. Holding it against them and not buying it is sorta unfair, considering they did the best with what they could.

Pigeon

First Post
I've got spycraft, and a darn good read it is too. I'm having a few problems trying to persuade one or two of my group to play in it as they are firmly stuck in the way of D&D.

It never used to be that the group was reluctant to try anything new, but these days the pressures of working and relationships mean that there is a tendancy not to want to waste a precious drop of RPG quality time and we often stick to what we know.

Still, my powers of persuasion shall win out!

gustavef

First Post
Don said:

I am the other way. I don't want to spend 40$ on a rule book if I already have more then half the rules. :D

On that note, very little of the book is a repeate. The skill section has the most redundent material, but then it also updates alot of uses for the Gnere. And have the DMG and PHB along with Spycraft allows me to clarify what rules are "vague" in Spycraft.

One like I liked about GURPS was that, there was core/common material, then specilized materials. If I wanted to switch Genre's and start a new game, it was only buying the material that I did not already have.

The d20 philosphy allows other publishers to build apon the core rule set. Personal, I don't care to see things like character creation or hand-to-hand combat rules in another d20 product. I have those rules already. Show me what you are adding/changing.

-gustavef

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads