• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft v. Fantasycraft

caelum

First Post
I recently picked up Fantasycraft and am making my way through it. I'll almost definitely never get to play it, since my group is very D&D-focused, but I enjoy reading systems and may get to borrow some of the subsystems at some point.

My question is: what are the reasons to pick up Spycraft as well during the GM's Day sale? I'll definitely never play it, and I'm not particularly interested in modern settings. But are there any exceptional rules subsystems that are NOT in Fantasycraft, that could either inspire or get co-opted into a 3.5 D&D game? I hear good things about the chase mechanic, for example. Is it portable?

Thanks!

pawsplay

Hero
I just splurged on it during the sale (very nice price for a full book) and I'm enjoying it. I'm not seeing a ton to impart into FC but, at the very least, it gives me a better idea of how to convert SC supplements like Lights of Olympus and such to FC. SC is giving me some notions about running a modern game, though. I would caution you that the "feel" is much different, with a strong built-in campaign model, modern sounding and often campy names for ability, and so forth.

Subplots, skill challenges, and chases are probably the things you would take from SC and insert into FC.

Krensky

First Post
There are a number of feats that can be converted, the Mark of X ones come strongly to mind. Dramatic Conflicts in general. Fluid initiative, with some tweaks can be.

The chase dramatic conflict is relatively portable, but you'll need to fold some of the feats back in, and the Lancer won't be as strong in it as the original Wheelman, primarily because the Lancer doesn't get the Daredevil feat. Similarly there are a number of Dramatic Conflict relevant abilities not present in FC (since it left them out).

Similarly, most of the specialties and talents can be used, although they are built with slightly different numbers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads