• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Spycraft] Which book to buy?

FishXXIII

First Post
OKay, so I got Spycraft, I'm getting Shadowforcer Archer, and I can get 1 more book. Should I get The Modern Arms Guide, Soldier/Wheelman Guide, or The Archer Foundation?

I don't plan to run a Shadowforce Archer campaign, but I use the material in my campaign (there WILL be psionics)

The Modern Arms guide wil have a bunch of weapons, but there will be more vehicles and pretige classes in the S/W Guide.

I'll get the other later.. but which should I get first?

Davelozzi

Explorer
I was faced with the same issue not too long ago and chose Archer Foundation. I'm pretty pleased with the choice, however since I still haven't picked up the other two yet I can't really compare them. Only one chapter is rules that you'll probably use for a non-SFA campaign, but they're pretty good to have. A few psion PrC, a Sleuth base class, and a bunch of NPC classes, most of which are fairly easily adaptable to a core Spycraft game.

I'll probably pick up Soldier/Wheelman next as it looks like it has more interesting options than the Modern Arms Guide. The way I see the MAG, since it's mostly a list of weapons so it's a good thing to own, but probably something I'll pick up when I have a little money to burn but not enough time to plow through a book page by page and just want something to flip through and then put on the shelf for later reference.

Of course, Hand of Glory is available now too, so that's another option for me, although probably not for you if you're not planning on running SFA.

Last edited:

Enforcer

Explorer
If you want real guns in your game, get the Modern Arms Guide. It's the best equipment guide for any game that I've ever bought.

(Then again, I don't have Hand of Glory, Archer Foundation, or Soldier/Wheelman.)

Psion

Adventurer
FishXXIII said:
OKay, so I got Spycraft, I'm getting Shadowforcer Archer, and I can get 1 more book. Should I get The Modern Arms Guide, Soldier/Wheelman Guide, or The Archer Foundation?

I think I find that the MAG delivers a little more to the game than the S/W Guide. If you really are a prestige class hound or want to expand chase rules, the S/W might be a better choice, but if you are new to Spycraft (and ergo lacking much experience with the chase system), the MAG has some combat variants that you might be able to put to immediate use, especially if you play a gritty realistic game.

dpmcalister

Explorer
It all depends on what you want:

MAG - prestige class (1), optional rules (fluid initiative, black market, recoil), oh, and weapons!
Soldier/Wheelman Guide - prestige classes, extended chase rules
Archer Foundation - new base class (Sleuth), more psionics, NPC classes
Hand of Glory - new base case (Explorer - Indiana Jones/Lara Croft-type), more NPC classes, new type of gadget creation (Fringe science), more psionics

(I only mentioned Hand of Glory because it is now out).

My own personal choice - buy them all :D

Seriously though, it's all down to what you are looking for.

David C

First Post
My character is a Wheelman, so I was, of course, very interested in the S/W sourcebook. And it was very good.

There are enough weapons in the main rulebook to get you by, esp. since you said you will pick up the other book later anyway. But there are some good chase feats, prestige classes, and vehicles (this was pretty important) in the S/W sourcebook.

david

FishXXIII

First Post
Well.. got to play in a game this weekend using just the mail rules and the MAG. After, I decided I need to get a few games in with my player before getting any books.

I realized no one ever buys normal bullets or regular guns so I need to keep it basic starting off. I would like to get all the books, but I don't have that kind of cash.

Whatever I can't con from people for christmas I'll buy, but thanks for all the advice, I looked at some of the books and they all look too good!

AlphaOmega

First Post
My 2cent suggestion

FishXXIII said:

I don't plan to run a Shadowforce Archer campaign, but I use the material in my campaign (there WILL be psionics)

The Modern Arms guide wil have a bunch of weapons, but there will be more vehicles and pretige classes in the S/W Guide.

I'll get the other later.. but which should I get first?

With every passing day I enjoy Spycraft more and more. If you plan on using psionics and/or other "unusual" stuff I would suggest the Archer Foundation even if your campaign world doesn't make use of them. There's some solid things in there that might help you flesh out your campaign. From new classes for players and NPCs to the mystical Fringe.

Like someone else already said, if you can, go out and get all of the books you mentioned at some point.

Good luck with your game and hopefully you'll enjoy spycraft as much as I have.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads