SRD 3.5 Competition

Kerrwyn

First Post
You're right. The tables are some of the worst formatting I've ever seen...
As for progress on my version, I'm leaving all those lovely bells and whistles out until I'm done with the necessary stuff (like recompiling all the SRD into some sort of useable order).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Dimwhit said:

Then you're off to a great start. :D (I'm a Quark to InDesign convert, myself. ID is one of the best programs I've used.)

Quark is a good learning tool (learned how to use Quark 4 about 8 years ago), but when i saw Indesign 1.0 i fell in love ;-) Compared to 2.0, 1.0 sucked big time, but 2.0.2 is da stuff!

Dimwhit

Explorer
Quark is a good learning tool (learned how to use Quark 4 about 8 years ago), but when i saw Indesign 1.0 i fell in love ;-) Compared to 2.0, 1.0 sucked big time, but 2.0.2 is da stuff!

I produce a monthly e-zine. I started on Quark for the first few months (I'd been using it for years), then I received a free copy of InDesign (2.0), so I thought I'd give it a shot. Wow, what a difference! Took me less time, and the quality was much better. Gotta love it! :D

Conaill

First Post
You guys do know about the conversions being done by "The Other Game Company", right? Their links have been up on the EN World front page.

Well, it seems they're having some legal trouble with "Amigo", a german game company that published the translated D&D books, and they've had to take down their pdf SRD "handouts". Doesn't bode well for our own contest, but hopefully it will be resolve soon. I don't see how they could possibly prevent anyone from giving away a free product containing nothing but OGC content.

Meanwhile, although links to the 3.5 "handouts" have disappeared from their Free Stuff page, it looks like these links still work - at least for now:

Classes
Skills
Feats
Player Races
Equipment
Prestige Classes

Last edited:

Enkhidu

Explorer
I took a look at the site, and am taking a look at the .PDFs there - so far I don't see a problem, other than Amigo has just figured out that having the SRD available in an easy to read format will cut sharply into sales of the 3.5 hardbound books.

I forsee The Other Game Company putting these back up quickly, or being offered a sum of money to not put them back up. Either way, it sets a precedent.

So, guys, be on the lookout for cease and desist letters if your SRD's are too good!

Dimwhit

Explorer
Well, it seems they're having some legal trouble with "Amigo", a german game company that published the translated D&D books, and they've had to take down their pdf SRD "handouts". Doesn't bode well for our own contest, but hopefully it will be resolve soon. I don't see how they could possibly prevent anyone from giving away a free product containing nothing but OGC content.

That makes no sense. How can they be in trouble for reproducing entirely OGC content? Maybe they used the same layout or fonts.

I'm not worried about it affecting this competition. If we're only using SRD, we can do whatever we want with it.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Personally I'm a fan of mind-over-splatter approach ie getting the info crammed in the least about of space without sacrificing readablity.

But I have a question. Can we re-arrange parts of SRD so that it is more intuitive? Also is it ok to leave the whole psionics part?

Dimwhit

Explorer
Can we re-arrange parts of SRD so that it is more intuitive?

Absolutely! That's part of the drill. The more intuitive you can make it, and the easier it is to navigate the information, the better.

Also is it ok to leave the whole psionics part?

Not sure about this. I don't see why not. Anyone have a problem with the psionics part being officially optional? Last I heard, that section was still the 3.0 version, so I don't see it being necessary. Unless others have a problem with it, feel free to leave it out.

Drawmack

First Post
I wasn't going to bother with the psionics stuff because my game group doesn't use it so I didn't want to go to all that work for something I won't even use. On top of that it is 3.0 and on top of that it is not core rules that's an optional book.

Remove ads