SRD 3.5 Competition

Drawmack

First Post
Dimwhit said:
Server-side is certainly a possibility. Especially if you can include instructions for people to install it on their own servers. :)

They will probably be judged on appearance/style, usability, layout, etc. If you can pull it off with a server-side database or the likes, go for it!

OH NO you're not changing that rule. I'm three days into this and I've been going with what was said on day 1, actually may have been day 0 in the other thread. Just HTML and Javascript. I am not starting over now just so I can compete with a late comer.

Shadow64

Drawmack said:

OH NO you're not changing that rule. I'm three days into this and I've been going with what was said on day 1, actually may have been day 0 in the other thread. Just HTML and Javascript. I am not starting over now just so I can compete with a late comer.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.:D
He says "web-friendly", and I think anything that can be done on the web, which does cover server-side stuff. If he wants to make server-side stuff a seperate catagory, that's fine with me.

In all seriousness, I have been learning under some very good teachers about using databases to drive websites and this sounds like a great project to try out and learn a bit more.

So what the he-double-hockey-sticks, count me in.

Kerrwyn

First Post
Drawmack said:

I agree with Drawmack...
I've already gotten started on mine (been working almost all day in fact), and it just won't compete with that stuff. Unless of course you make it a separate category.
Oh, and about stickying, ask Pkitty or Darkness how to do it. They'd know.

Dimwhit

Explorer
OK, sorry. I didn't realize that was changing the rules. So we'll keep the web-friendly category strictly an html/javascript, xml thing. Something that can be run off a desktop.

What does everyone think of having a third category of PDA, server-side scripting, etc.? Kind of a miscellaneous? Or should we bag server-side altogether?

Dimwhit

Explorer
By the way, Alan McFarlane has agreed to offer two b/w character portraits to the competition. So what I'm going to do is offer one of those (a portrait of your favorite character) to each of the winners of the Web-friendly and Print-friendly categories. We're still going to have a miscellaneous (PDA, server-side, etc.) but they won't qualify for that prize. My reasons behind that is that originally, there were only the two categories (web and print) and that's what many started working toward. If we get more prizes offered, then the Miscellaneous category can qualify (such as FluidDragon's hosting of the SRD winners).

Hope that's ok with everyone. If you're not familiar with Alan's work (which is fantastic by the way) go to this thread to see what's he's done for others.

Sound good? Now get back to work!

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
kreynolds said:

Personally, I don't think the blue detracts from the D&D theme, but then again, I've seen the cover. ;) Actually, it's fairly easy for me to change the colors out, though I'm absolutely sold on the gray metal. I might play around with it though...see what I can come up with.

If changing the color scheme is easy, maybe you could do different colored versions? Blue, Red/Rust, Red/Gold, Black/silver etc.

I love the gray metal so you definately have my support there.

EDIT - Don't worry about making it printer friendly. There will be others who ARE printer friendly. If I'm on the computer, I'll call up something pretty like yours, if I want to print it, I'll use someone elses. "Apples and Oranges" you know?

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Conaill said:
Great start, for just an hour of "pokin' around". :)

Well, the book graphics have been done for some time now. :D It was just all about formatting the text and laying it out yesterday.

Conaill said:
Couple suggestions though:

- You're losing an awful lot of space with your border art there, especially on the outside border.

I've been noticing that. I'm kicked around the idea of pulling in the chapter box, basically narrowing it up a bit, but I noticed that wouldn't get me out of the fire. The page number sphere is also eating up a lot of space, and unfortunately, I really don't wanna to shrink that down. I might though.

The problem is that the book layout was designed for roughly the same size printing as the actual core books. I might play around with it and see what I can come up with. I just worry that I'll lose a lot of detail. We'll see what happens, I guess. :)

Conaill said:
I really like how densely packed the content is in Cergorach's version.

So do I. Actually, I like really small type...around 8pt, but most other people don't, so I won't be squeezing _that_ much text onto my layout. :D

Conaill said:
The patterned background is problematic for online viewing.

Really? I hadn't noticed a problem.

Conaill said:
How well it looks will depend heavily on the resolution and monitor settings.

Yeah, resolution being the biggest. The problem is that I don't have anything that runs below 1024 x 768, and I don't really support anything that can't run that high. :eek: Call it "designers arrogance", if you will. My friends do. :)

Conaill said:
On mine, it noticeably interferes with readability.

What res are you running in? Also, if you're in at least 1024, are you viewing the entire page or just by width?

Conaill said:
And of course for printing it's not exactly ideal either.

Depends on the printer. For inkjet, it sucks. For economy color laser printers, it sucks a little bit less. The text ends up fully readable, but the metal just turns into a gray background and looses the texture. On black and white lasers, it seems fine. But then again, I have access to _really_ nice printers. :D

Conaill said:
Overall, I'd prefer a plain white background.

Funny you mention that....so would I. :D I'm working on "blotting out" the majority of the background, but its taking time. So far, I haven't been crazy about the results I'm getting, but I'm trying to do it all in photoshop instead of resorting to my illustrator template. Should have something eventually.

Thanks for the input! :cool:

kreynolds

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
If changing the color scheme is easy, maybe you could do different colored versions? Blue, Red/Rust, Red/Gold, Black/silver etc.

That's what I'm planing to do. Here's a preview of a different color theme.

red-preview.jpg

Ashrem Bayle said:
I love the gray metal so you definately have my support there.

Sweet. :cool:

Ashrem Bayle said:
EDIT - Don't worry about making it printer friendly. There will be others who ARE printer friendly. If I'm on the computer, I'll call up something pretty like yours, if I want to print it, I'll use someone elses. "Apples and Oranges" you know?

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I'm playing around with a white background right now though. I just haven't ended up with anything I like yet.

Remove ads