• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD Legal Hassle - in need of help/advice

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, that's funny, my pointy haired boss detector is buzzing....

Hope you get things straightened out. (Things like this renew my faith in human nature.)

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Flyspeck23

First Post
In the meantime I've received many encouraging emails - unless the email was in german (there were quite some germans who said it was "illegal" to offer even parts of the SRD...).

I was, however, made aware of the fact that I didn't appoint the OGC properly. But, as said before, the reason for Mr. Meyer to call it a violation of copyright didn't include anything directly regarding the license (he still didn't point me to his sources), and the error I've made (mea culpa) would've been easily (and immideatly) corrected.

Now to my question:

How long does it take before Andy finds the time to answer an email?
I'm waiting for his reply because, honestly, I've got at least one more handout in the pipes ;)

Selganor

Adventurer
You'd better not point Bjoern Meyer to this thread or he'll have a heart attack :D

Hey... Don't let the others get you down.

BTW: Why appoint any OGC if EVERYTHING is OGC? AFAIK if you don't indicate your PI EVERYTHING is going to be OGC.

You didn't make anything in the handouts PI, did you?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Selganor said:
You'd better not point Bjoern Meyer to this thread or he'll have a heart attack :D

Fun huh! ;-) I'm thinking of sending a 'complimentary' copy to mr. Bjoern of my version of the SRD. With a note attached, that will say, that a version translated to german will be available soon...
*grins evily*

Selganor said:
BTW: Why appoint any OGC if EVERYTHING is OGC? AFAIK if you don't indicate your PI EVERYTHING is going to be OGC.

Although i really wish your statement was true, this is not correct. The OGL requires you to designated the OGL content. If it's not done, your not following the OGL...

Flyspeck23

First Post
Selganor said:

You didn't make anything in the handouts PI, did you?
Not everything is OGC. The copyright notes, for instance, are not. Neither are the company names (TOGC, for instance ;) ).

Now those PDFs would include the following phrase on the front page: "All text on pages 2 to (second last page number) is Open Game Content, unless noted otherwise." (noted otherwise: TOGC as a name of the company).

BTW, I already did point Mr. Meyer to the SRD on RPGNow. No reaction whatsoever ;)

doktorstick

First Post
It seems, based on the nutcase's reply, that most of your _site_ is in violation, not just the fact that posted the SRD v.3.5e. Your spellcards, for instance, have a d20 system logo and reference. From the bumbling mumblings of Mister Meyer, he would claim that this is a violation, too.

Good luck in your fight. And do fight. There are too many large companies that try to bully smaller ones.

/ds

Flyspeck23

First Post
Originally posted by doktorstick
It seems, based on the nutcase's reply, that most of your _site_ is in violation, not just the fact that posted the SRD v.3.5e. Your spellcards, for instance, have a d20 system logo and reference. From the bumbling mumblings of Mister Meyer, he would claim that this is a violation, too.

Good luck in your fight. And do fight. There are too many large companies that try to bully smaller ones.
I did ask him what he means by "among other things" (see his first email to me), but he kept on rumbling about the SRD.
I couldn't tell, though. As I've said before, it's getting harder and harder to put any meaning to his emails...
Really, I couldn't tell what else is supposed to be in violation of whatever - the next thing'll probably be that he sues me because "by naming the company The Other Game Company you're clearly refering to Amigo..."

Originally posted by kingpaul
Really? Unless of course he sent an email to Anna and you don't know about it.

To be perfectly honest, my email prog somehow cut the URL short, leaving out the "&" at the end of the link (it's there, but not part of the link, so if he followed the link - instant internet nirvana...).
And even if he did find it, I don't think he'll write Anna an email. Honestly, I don't think so - he's got his hands full with reading my replies ;)

Originally posted by Azure Trance
I'm rooting for you Fly.
You're welcome ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads