• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Srd/ogl question 5e

I'm sure this has been asked before but can I make new classes in for the 5e ogl that basically retroclone previous versions of the game within the frame work? I have no intention of this and it's my understanding that you can't change the rules of the ogl, but I'm not seeing a reason someone couldn't make a book of classes labelled as new classes that recreate for instance all the 4e classes in power structure and abilites as close as you can, then recommend running a game where only those classes were allowed.

This is just a tangential thought experiment. Curious if anyone knows more of this than I. Thanks

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Is the question: can I use the OGL and SRD for one edition to clone another edition? Is that the question?

The answer is yes. Some of the original retroclones used the original OGL and SRD for 3E to make 1E clones. You could certainly do a 4E clone.

Keep in mind, you could come close to a 4E clone without it, as game rules are not copyrighted. But using exact titles or segments of text might violate it. This is true even with the OGL. But the OGL would let you use specific terms that where in an SRD that where also in 4E, even if the rules for those moved to 4E and away from the SRD.

Last edited:

Thank you. My question boils down to can I create classes in the system and publish them that add back things missing from older editions in a major way?

Say for instance I like 5e, like large parts of it like advantage and the new saves and tighter math. I don't want to make 4e clone. But I in theory wanted to make a hybrid. 5e rule set with 4e style classes. Could that be done in the ogl/srd and still call it 5e product?

I think it can. As all I would be doing in the hypothetical cases is making new classes wholecloth that behave more like the old 4e classes. I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Okay.

First... legally... you do not need the OGL to make a retroclone as long as you do not plagiarize the original game rules-- the rules can be mechanically identical, as long as the language you use to describe their function is originally written by you. You can't copy-paste and you really should not use the original rules as a reference, except after you've written, to make sure they're not too similar.

Second, if you are using the OGL, you are forfeiting your legal right to do that in exchange for your right to use the Open Gaming Content, the rules that are written in the System Resource Document (SRD). Which means that if you do not want to rewrite the 500 pages of core rules, you're going to have to limit yourself to material that is either 1) your own original work or 2) included in the SRD.

With what you're describing here... I think you're in the clear. You're making a 5e product, you're using the 5e SRD. 5e already has its own terminology to describe A/E/D powers, even if it's deliberately clunky as hell just to avoid offending the 3e partisans. You just describe being able to use the power at-will, or how many times you can use it before it refreshes on a short rest or a long rest.

What you need to avoid are using the names of 4e's class powers, and using the names of 4e classes that are not words in common usage-- so your "Shaman" and "Psion" are probably fine, but your "Battlemind" and your "Ardent" are probably not.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
What you need to avoid are using the names of 4e's class powers, and using the names of 4e classes that are not words in common usage-- so your "Shaman" and "Psion" are probably fine, but your "Battlemind" and your "Ardent" are probably not.

well, there's psychic warrior as ogc and you could always call your ardent an empath.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Note that you can use *any* OGC SRD, not just the 5E one. Once it's been an SRD and declared OGC, it's that way forever. So if the term you want to use is in the 3.x SRD (or the Pathfinder PRD, or any of a bunch of other SRDs), you're allowed to use it even if it's not in the 5E SRD.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Note that you can use *any* OGC SRD, not just the 5E one. Once it's been an SRD and declared OGC, it's that way forever. So if the term you want to use is in the 3.x SRD (or the Pathfinder PRD, or any of a bunch of other SRDs), you're allowed to use it even if it's not in the 5E SRD.

Sellswords & Godwars is relying heavily on both the d20PFSRD and the SRD 5.1. To recreate '90s style fantasy RPGs.

Remove ads