SRD Updated

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Grazzt said:
Anyone notice the "problem" with this yet?

I think it was intentional. Rary, Bigby, Tenser, and all the othes with long names I can't spell are from Greyhawk, which makes them setting specific.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
BiggusGeekus said:

I think it was intentional. Rary, Bigby, Tenser, and all the othes with long names I can't spell are from Greyhawk, which makes them setting specific.

Actually, with the lone exception of Mordenkainen, Ryan Dancey stated the others "don't represent WotC IP and have no value", "being either public domain, anagrams of real people's names."

Last edited:

Grazzt said:
Actually, with the lone exception of Mordenkainen, Ryan Dancey stated the others "don't represent WotC IP and have no value", "being either public domain, anagrams of real people's names."
Apparently he never mentioned that to Anthony or Hasbro legal disagreed with Ryan. As I posted to the ogl-d20 list, I don't like it since someone for whom the SRD is unknown going through my book and seeing disjunction in an NPCs spell list is not going to know to go look up Mordenkainen's disjunction in the PHB.

Very annoying. Can't wait to see what the Quiver of Elhonna becomes when they get to the magic items.

Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Game
http://www.throwingdice.com

dcollins

Explorer
Grazzt said:
Anyone notice the "problem" with this yet?

Absolutely. I'm very glad that they released the spells, but this is going to make very significant problems, as players try to cross-reference materials based on this released SRD with materials in the Player's Handbook.

Looking at the SRD (or OGL materials derived from it), there will will be absolutely no way to predict where a given spell is set in the PH, or where to begin looking for it.

I was truly hoping that they would take a Victorian approach and refer to these spells as "B-'s Clenched Fist" and the like in the SRD.

I'm glad...

Personally I have always thought it was a mistake to have proper names on the spells. What if I don't want a mage named Bigby in my campaign? What if I'm running Nyambe? Is there a Bigby in Forgotten Realms?

In fact, I wish they'd take the names out in the next version of the Player's Handbook.

Ken McKinney

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Nikodemos said:
Hi Folks

Quiver of Ehlonna, could become a Quiver of holding, or an Extra Dimensional Quiver ;) . Just a thought.

Yours Nikodemos

Except the average player will not equate the two together and will comb through the DMG, perhaps R&R or R&R 2 looking for a quiver of holding. When he can't find it, he'll chalk it up as an error to said company ("They included this magic item, but forgot to detail it.")

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Wanna know my guess as to why all the proper nouns were taken out? Because Anthony wanted to get the stuff into the SRD as soon as possible, without getting bogged down with any possible legal wrangling over the names. Dumping them en masse would thereby eliminate that potential impediment. Yeah, maybe somebody said they were OK, but perhaps he decided to take no chances. Another guess is that AV will have stuff added to the SRD on a swifter, more regular basis, to ensure as much as possible is added before any future moves WotC might make.

Poster Bard

First Post
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Creative Mountain Games
Mark@CreativeMountainGames.com

Alpha Spells - A Lexus Supplement Available Now!

September 13, 2002 (Chicago, IL)- Released under the d20 System License, this Lexus supplement is designed to help Publishers, DMs and players keep those spells in a comfortable, alphabetical order for easy reference. Derived from the newly renamed spells of the recently released WotC SRD spell sections, the 27 spells in the Alpha Spells - Lexus Supplement have been renamed to move them into a more convenient place, alphabetically, from Big Clenched Fist to Tense Transformation.

Mark kicked off Creative Mountain Games in January of 2002 with his first free release after having researched the d20 System and OGL licenses since their inception. He's carefully moved forward to ensure that each and every release from CMG strictly follows the guidelines and rules of the d20 System and related licenses.

Mark's love for the game began back in 1975 and soon after he began developing his own material. With the advent of the d20 System license, he can now bring over a quarter century of design and writing experience to everyone. As one who always adhered to the rules, the material presented in CMG releases is sure to be balanced for use in any d20 System/Fantasy game.

Please, be sure to check out http://www.creativemountaingames.com right away and look for even more in the near future!

(c)2002 Mark Clover. Creative Mountain Games is a trademark of Mark Clover. The d20 System is a registered trademark of Wizards of the Coast Inc.

Remove ads