D&D 5E SRD5 - A Clone of Part of D&D 5E Basic

Dausuul

Legend
See, this may end up being a counterproductive choice for the open gaming community. Right now, Mr. Mearls is maybe working hard to convince the legal department at WotC that going OGL is the best choice, when they are already in court over a clone of their other fantasy game. I believe SRD5 is more of a hindrance to any of our OGL pretensions than genuine help.
Hmm. I'm a bit on the fence here. On the one hand, if there is a high chance of WotC/Hasbro making 5E into an OGL game voluntarily, I agree that trying to force the issue could backfire. On the other hand, I remain skeptical that any such effort is in fact in the works, or has a chance of succeeding. And a well-executed, legally sound 5E clone could actually push Wizards into going the OGL route, on the principle that "It's out there anyway, we might as well give it our blessing and earn some goodwill."

Where I'm absolutely in agreement is that this particular attempt to force the issue is stupid and counterproductive, because it is not well-executed or legally sound. It's a violation of copyright, and until and unless WotC decides to make 5E into an OGL game, they're going to defend their copyright. Hell, even if they do intend to make 5E into an OGL game, they can't allow this joker to set the terms. So they'll send him a C&D, and there will be a big brouhaha, and ill will on both sides.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Making your own compatibility license with a logo for closed game content is... Well...
I especially love how he thinks he can demand that people agree to his license before marketing their content as "Compatible with SRD5." As Dave Kenzer demonstrated with 4E Kingdoms of Kalamar, you don't need any kind of license to do that.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads