• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SS] Ritual Problem (Rakshasa)

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
Let me make sure I have this correct...

For approx. 200,000 gp, a 20th lvl sorceror with about 200,000 XP under his belt and with below avg. physical stats can undergo a ritual of vitality and...

1) Spend 91,000 XP to become a rakshasa

2) Lose 5 levels of sorceror

3) GAIN an effective 7 levels of sorceror (because the rakshasa's spell abilities stack with sorc. levels) and the ability to cast 1st level cleric spells as sorc. spells

4) Lose 5d4 HD but GAIN 7d8 HD

5) Gain the superior phyical abilities of the rakshasa (with the new CON score further increasing the already increased HP)

6) Gain the other incredible immunities of the rakshasa such as DR and spell immunity

AND

7) Become an epic level character by SPENDING XP

How can this possibly NOT be broken? I already have a player who's planning this route for his character, and I'd like to have some reason other than rule 0 why this can't happen. Any help?

Otherwise everyone and their uncle in my campaign will need to start mass producing blessed crossbow bolts like there's no tomorrow.

gfunk

First Post
A very interesting question. After flipping through SS and reading the Rituals section, I remembered your post.

It seems as if the Ritual of Vitality (I think that's what is called) makes an incredible mistake by allowing you to pay for ECL starting from 1st level. They should make you pay at your highest level.

For example, in your Sor 20 turned into a Rakshasa example:

200,000 XP - 91,000 XP (ECL 14 for Rakshasa)

= Rakshasa + 15 levels of Sorcerer (22 for spellcasting purposes)

IMO, it should be like this,

20th level character - 14 levels (ECL 14 for Rakshasa)

= Rakshasa + 6 levels of Sorcerer (13 for spellcasting purposes)

The CR of a Rakshasa with 6 levels of Sorcerer would be 15.

This is still a tad powerful for a 20th level character considering that a 13 or 14 CR monster is equivalent to a 20th level PC (Eladrin or Deva). However it is *much* more reasonable than the CR 24 monstrosity created by the first method.

The ritual system, it seems, can truly be abused at high levels and your example clearly shows this. To add to the insanity, a 20th level PC could effectively use a ritual to become a Lich (ECL 4) or Drow (ECL 3) without even sacrificing a level!

Last edited:

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
I wholeheartedly agree.

The Ritual of Unlearning is another SS ritual that allows you to trade in class levels equal to the ECL of the goal monster in order to become that monster. This seems much more balanced, and is, in effect, the process you described.

I understand that WOTC wanted to create an option for long standing characters to become something new without completely taking away their hard earned class levels and the pride associated with having a character that has paid his or her dues and survived to high levels. But the possibilities for abuse are the nightmare of DM's everywhere. I can see the need for eliminating certain elements of new rules for campaign flavor, but having to make drastic changes or eliminate things due to major balance issues is just plain disappointing.

Gez

First Post
Remember you will also gain one wonderful ability rakshasa have: If anyone with a crossbow and a blessed bolt happens to hit you, bang, you're dead, no save, don't care if you have two thousands hit points left, you're dead.

And being an outsider, no resurrection (unless you happen to buy the Manual of the Planes, of course, in which case the spell Revive Outsider exist).

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
The blessed crossbow bolt issue seemed to be a particularly nasty deterrent at first, but the rules on DR seem to suggest that the bolt would need to overcome the creatures DR of 20/+3 and do damage in order to slay the creature. To complicate matters, you're dealing with a spellcaster who has the ability to conceal it's identity any number of ways, not the least of which is the fact that it can change into ANY humanoid form at will and stay in that form for as long as it likes.

If you do figure the bugger out, though, and you get lucky enough to have a +3 blessed crossbow bolt and a steady hand, it is quite a bit tougher getting a Rakshasa back from the dead.

Jeremy

Explorer
Just about any good cleric who can cast greater magic weapon can make 50 +3-+5 blessed crossbow bolts per casting. :)

Unless of course the sorcerer is a good guy who just wants to turn himself into a warmongering life-destroying embodiment of evil? :)

Remove ads