• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

St. Cuthbert was a real Saint? (Col Pladoh)

William Ronald

Explorer
I have known this for quite some time. Ironically, there was a poster on the old boards or the WoTC boards that argued that St. Cuthbert (the historical figure) was actually lawful good, exceptionally merciful, and his Greyhawk counterpart should reflect this.

DungeonKeeperUK, as someone who lives near the saint's burial site, do you have any thoughts on this?

Rook

First Post
What always irritated me about St. Cuthbert is that they never told you who he was a saint *of*. :) I mean, he's clearly a transplanted Christian saint of the no-nonsense, Crusading type, but in the Greyhawk world he's an anomaly. Which god did he worship when he was a mortal cleric?

rounser

First Post
Did the real life St Cuthbert have a scottish-looking beret, a droopy moustache, and a homicidal way of enforcing "order" that involved wandering around in platemail whacking evil critters with a lump of wood?

If not, I doubt the character is modelled too closely after his real namesake....

Last edited:

Xilo

First Post
Well St. Cuthbert was a Scottish saint... one of the originals i think. He was especially well known for his ability to get on with animals, and birds. As well as being a very forgiving and gental man. Hence the reason I found it so funny when I saw he was the good of vengence.

Ah the joys of having a school named after a saint who is also a dnd god.

rounser

First Post
Which god did he worship when he was a mortal cleric?

I'd speculate that the answer is the "forces of law", since that's what motivated him on his bludgeoning excursions into the underdark with his buddy St. Trowbane.

Either that, or himself. He strikes me as bloody-minded enough to do that sort of thing. :D

For what it's worth, given the sheer number of people who have been sainted by the Catholic Church since the Dark Ages (it's amazing more people don't believe in magic, considering how many miracles that's supposed to have required), the odds are good that any name the good Colonel had come up with instead of Cuthbert would also have been a real saint. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads