• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Stacking Charm Person and Dominate Person (3.5)

Scavenger

First Post
I was curious about something in regards to a Psion's (Telepath) Charm and Dominate powers.

Dominate states that: "Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus.'"

This requires a fair amount of interpretation but at an extreme it could mean a new save ever round with a success negating the power. This significantly diminishes the effectiveness of the power. I'm trying to limit the chance of allowing the subject additional saving throws.

Would it be feasible to:

1) First use Charm against a target to have it "regard you as its trusted friend and ally".

2) Then through a bluff, charisma check, or good role play, convince it to willing accept (waive saving throw) a Dominate power against it if they are told it is something beneficial such as some sort of mind "protection" power. (Assuming they don't have psi-craft or the like)

3) Avoid many of saving throws the target would normally get when dominated because it is charmed and it would not be completely against its nature to assist or follow the words a trusted friend.

My take is that there would still be some orders given under Dominate that would still allow the target a new saving throw but that the psion would have much more latitude in directing the target without allowing it additional saves.

Are there any other opinions on this?

Thanks.

Dross

Explorer
Charm does not change someone's nature as such, so even being seen seen as a trusted friend may not help you. Remember a lot of EVIL beings would happily sacrifice trusted friends if it suited their needs (if someone would sacrifice their mother how safe is a trusted friend?).

Charm could allow you to cast Dominate without the requirement of a save if they thought it would be beneficial to them (while there should be cases where they will not let you use Dominate, these should be extremely rare cases).

Other examples
  • A miser that never lends money out to anyone, even trusted friends is not going to give you their money because of Charm person. With dominate they will, but only if they fail the save.
  • A guard told not to let anyone through or else isn't going to let you through (Surely my friend you can understand that?), but may provide you with alternatives. Under dominate a "tell me the best way to pass through" probably would not require a save (except if it is to the kings harem/treasure room, then it may not be worth the guard's life to provide such info), but a "let me through" would require a save.
So while Charm can help Dominate, a charmed person's nature may still force a saving throw. You would need some idea of the character of the Dominated person to phrase commands to not go against someone's nature while still getting them to do what you want them to do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads