• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Conditions

Ganadai

First Post
In a recent WotC article they clarified how stacking conditions work and/or if you have to make multiple saves for similar, but slightly different conditions. However, I can't seem to find it. Anyone rememeber where this was posted?

Ganadai

First Post
Well then, I'll just ask...

If you have ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends), then get ongoing 5 fire damage and immobilized (save ends both), then save against the ongoing 5 fire and immobilized, do you still have to save again for the ongoing 5 fire?

Mort_Q

First Post
You'll get different opinions, I'm sure, but as I understand it you only need to make the save once.

P.S. I couldn't find the article either.

DracoSuave

First Post
Save ends is a conditional end to an effect. So the effect is 'ongoing 5 damage' and the condition for it ending is (save ends).

So long as you successfully save against that effect by any means, it ends.

So, the other one is two effects, ongoing 5 damage, and immobilized. Save ending both at the same time. So you make the save against both, and let's say you save. Well, you now end both.

But the thing is, you've just saved against an ongoing 5 damage effect. Which ends -all- ongoing 5 damage effects, because you've made a save against the effect.

As well, multiple sources of ongoing damage of the same type don't all apply--only one.

Mmmm, nothing in RAW suggests this to be true. By RAW each and every effect (which may impose multiple conditions, penalties, damages, etc) is entirely independent of every other one. So if you take ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends) twice, you will only take 5 points of damage (because ongoing damage of a type doesn't stack) but you would have to save against each one independently.

Granted, a lot of DMs don't run things that way and there's really nothing wrong with simply saying that the effect of a given power can only be placed on a character once at a time. It does rather rot when a PC is stuck with a condition for the whole encounter and needs to save multiple times to get out from under it.

Chimerasame

First Post
Mmmm, nothing in RAW suggests this to be true. By RAW each and every effect (which may impose multiple conditions, penalties, damages, etc) is entirely independent of every other one. So if you take ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends) twice, you will only take 5 points of damage (because ongoing damage of a type doesn't stack) but you would have to save against each one independently.

I believe this is true; this is how my group's been playing it, anyway.

It seems logical--for example, if you get immobilized coz magic chains are holding you down, and you get immobilized coz your legs are frozen stiff, then you need to overcome both of those things before you can once again move.

(The distinction is a little less intuitive with damage over time effects, since damage is very much an abstraction anyway.)

Jhaelen

First Post
FWIW, I agree with this interpretation.

Ganadai

First Post
I still can't find that artical I was looking for, but i did find this in the Q&A FAQ thread:

We know it's a little unclear, so we spoke to the developers and here's how it works.

If you have more than one *identical* effects on you, only one effect applies, and only 1 saving throw is require to shake them all.
If the effects are even slightly different, (like if they have a different ongoing damage amount, or if you have a dazed) effect as well as a (dazed + slowed) effect), then you make separate saves.

Example: "Andrew" is now fighting an Ice Devil (Gelugon) and takes ongoing 5 cold damage and is slowed (save ends both). Later the fight is joined by a homebrew monster (we'll call it a Yeti) who hits Andrew for Ongoing 10 Cold damage (save ends).

Does Andrew now have Ongoing 10 AND the slow effect from the earlier ongoing 5?
Yes

Does overwriting the Ongoing 5 also overwrite the slow?
No

Does Andrew need to save from both Ongoing 10 AND the lingering slow?
Yes

If so, does saving from the ongoing 10, but not the slow restore the ongoing 5 that the slow is tied to?
Yes

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads