• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Curses

gothwalk

Explorer
I'm working on an encounter which features two kinds of creatures working together. One has a special attack which calls for a Fort check, the other can cast bestow curse

I suspect that the spell bestow curse doesn't stack with itself in a single form. That is, if a caster uses the -4 to attack, saves, ability and skill checks form, they can't follow up with another the next round to take things to -8, no?

However, can a caster then use bestow curse to reduce, say, Constitution by 6 in the next round, thereby also reducing the Fortitude save by 3?

Cheers,
Drew

http://www.livejournal.com/users/gothwalk/

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
gothwalk said:
I suspect that the spell bestow curse doesn't stack with itself in a single form. That is, if a caster uses the -4 to attack, saves, ability and skill checks form, they can't follow up with another the next round to take things to -8, no?

This particular application of the spell won't stack. However, that's not because of any fancy rules on spell stacking, but simply because the curse takes the form of a typed (enhancement) penalty and penalties of the same type don't stack.

However, can a caster then use bestow curse to reduce, say, Constitution by 6 in the next round, thereby also reducing the Fortitude save by 3?

Sure.

Last edited:

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Also note that you could use multiple curses to lower a stat by multiples of 6 because the spell causes "-6 effective decrease to an ability score (minimum 1)". This sort of stat damage is much like hit point damage or poison damage (ie. it "stacks").

mkletch

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
Also note that you could use multiple curses to lower a stat by multiples of 6 because the spell causes "-6 effective decrease to an ability score (minimum 1)". This sort of stat damage is much like hit point damage or poison damage (ie. it "stacks").

And, as hong pointed out, has no "type" which would prevent stacking. Brutal encounter you are setting up - sounds like fun.

-Fletch!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads