• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Damage Reduction?

orcmonk220

First Post
Hiya all.
I'm making a Vampire Warlock 6, and was wondering if the DR from the Warlock (DR 1/cold iron) and the DR from the Vampire template (DR 10/silver and magic) work individually, or if one removes the other. So, if the opponent had a cold iron weapon, but not a silver and magic one, would the Warlock DRnot apply, but the Vampire one still apply, and vice versa.
Cheers
Chris

Drowbane

First Post
orcmonk220 said:
Hiya all.
I'm making a Vampire Warlock 6, and was wondering if the DR from the Warlock (DR 1/cold iron) and the DR from the Vampire template (DR 10/silver and magic) work individually, or if one removes the other. So, if the opponent had a cold iron weapon, but not a silver and magic one, would the Warlock DRnot apply, but the Vampire one still apply, and vice versa.
Cheers
Chris

You retain both and use whichever is best per attack.... they do not stack. :D

UltimaGabe

First Post
orcmonk220 said:
Hiya all.
Cheers
Chris

As Drowbane said, you use whichever best one applies.

Against normal attacks, you take 10 damage off each attack. If the attacker has a cold iron weapon, you take 10 damage off each attack. If he has a +1 silver longsword or something similar, you take 1 damage off each attack. If he somehow has a +1 or better weapon that is somehow BOTH silver AND cold iron, then none would apply. (As to how that would be achieved, your guess is as good as mine.)

Demoquin

First Post
What about DR from Dwarven Defender and a magic item or other class ability?

If not, why?

I would imagine that a blow to the armor would first have to go through the armor THEN go through your thick hide.

10 pts damage -3 from armor - 3 from DD lvls = 4 pts?

saucercrab

Explorer
Demoquin said:
What about DR from Dwarven Defender and a magic item or other class ability?
Multiple types of DR (similar or no) never stack, unless one of them explicitly says so (there are a rare few).

If not, why?
The short version? RAW. The long version involves game balance & design philosophy/intent.

I would imagine that a blow to the armor would first have to go through the armor THEN go through your thick hide.

10 pts damage -3 from armor - 3 from DD lvls = 4 pts?
If you want to have DR stack, that's fine if you're the DM & your players agree (& you can trust each other; but a new arms race may appear regardless).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Demoquin said:
If not, why?

Because If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads