• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Stacking in 4E?

cangrejoide

First Post
How do the stacking rules work?

What stacks and what doesn't?

What about special monster abilities? does ongoing damage stack?
What about poison or disease?

Mort_Q

First Post
cangrejoide said:
How do the stacking rules work?

What stacks and what doesn't?

What about special monster abilities? does ongoing damage stack?
What about poison or disease?

• Untyped stack.
  • Different types stack.
  • Same types don't stack.

So ... if you are taking ongoing fire 5, and then take ongoing fire 10, you only take ongoing fire 10.

So ... if you are taking ongoing fire 5, and then take ongoing poison 10, you are now taking ongoing fire 5 and ongoing poison 10.

Disease and poisons work fairly differently.

VannATLC

First Post
... No, seriously, this is all plainly spelled out in the PHB.

Get it, read it.

Essentially, though, Like does not stack with like. The most powerful affect is the only one that applies.

Feats. Powers. Damage Types. Etc, are all 'types' of stack.

cangrejoide

First Post
Mort_Q said:
  • Untyped stack.
  • Different types stack.
  • Same types don't stack.

So ... if you are taking ongoing fire 5, and then take ongoing fire 10, you only take ongoing fire 10.

So ... if you are taking ongoing fire 5, and then take ongoing poison 10, you are now taking ongoing fire 5 and ongoing poison 10.

Disease and poisons work fairly differently.

[*]Untyped stack.

Okay so if a player is being attacked by 2 rat swarms and both hit, does the player no has 6 ongoing damage because the damage is untyped?

mSwarm of Teeth (standard; at-will)
+6 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage, and ongoing 3 damage (save ends).

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
No, the player only has ongoing 3 damage. Think of ongoing itself as a type. Untyped ongoing damage is of the untyped ongoing type ... if that makes any sense at all.

Essentially, ongoing damage doesn't stack, unless they have explicitly different types.

MightyTev

First Post
VannATLC said:
... No, seriously, this is all plainly spelled out in the PHB.

Get it, read it.

You should probably watch your manners. The OP was just asking for clarification, not everyone has time to read through an entire 300-odd page book.

cthulhus_pinky

First Post
MightyTev said:
You should probably watch your manners. The OP was just asking for clarification, not everyone has time to read through an entire 300-odd page book.

There is an index... I found the answer to the ongoing damage in all of 30 seconds.

cangrejoide

First Post
Thanks everyone who posted answers, I had read the stacking section but I wanted to be sure I got it right. Sometimes you think something works one way but it really works another way.

Anyways I think I got it now, thanks.

Remove ads