• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Rules on Resists

Dizlag

Explorer
Ok, so my question is has anyone had to deal with stacking multiple resists? Say, Resist 5 from Tarrassque Plate and Resist Con Mod from the Adamantine Warrior (or something like that) from Martial Powers?

Would they stack? Or since it's the "same" type of resist, you would just take the highest?

It kinda reminds me of the 3rd edition DR from an adamantine breastplate and a barbarian's DR. Granted, the rules said they wouldn't stack ... but armor isn't the same as a barbarian's tough leathery skin. An attack would have to get through the armor and natural skin.

Anyways, how do we handle this in 4th edition?

Thanks!

Dizlag

Oompa

First Post
PHB275 said:
Bonuses: There’s one important rule for bonuses: Don’t add together bonuses of the same type to the same roll or score. If you have two bonuses of the same type that apply to the same roll or score, use the higher bonus.

So if the 2 resists are both the same they dont stack..

If one is a power type and the other one a feature type, they stack. If they are both untyped, they stack.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Resistances never stack - they're not a bonus, and they don't have types (in the sense that bonuses do, anyway). Having difficulty finding a citation for this at the moment, but I'm pretty confident of it. Being a Tiefling doesn't give you a racial bonus to fire resistance, it gives you Resist X Fire. Bonus types are always explicitly called out. There's no "power type" and "feature type" resistances.

DracoSuave

First Post
Resistances don't stack. If you have multiple resistances, you only apply the greater resistance, even if they are of different types. So if you have Resist All 5 and Resist Fire 10, and someone hits you with fire damage, you reduce it by 10.

There are exceptions: If damage has multiple damage types, then resistance to one of those types doesn't apply unless you have resistance to -all- the damage types, and even then only the lowest applies.

As well, there are a couple resistances that stack with other resistance, but those are explicitly called out.

Remove ads