• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking temp hp. Same power, different instances

mostholy2

First Post
From the PHB
PHB said:
Temporary hitpoints: Don't add Together: if you get temporary hp from different sources, use the higher value as your temporary hit point total instead of adding the values together.
While this is a clear ruling if someone gets temporary hps from a sacred flame and a lifedrinker weapon (as they are clearly different sources). What about multiple additions of temporary hitpoints from the same ability or weapon (ie. say gaining temp hps from sacred flame on 2 separate occassions, or using a lifedrinker weapon that gains temp hps on different rounds)?

Although the ability is the "same source", it is a different occurrence of the ability, thus could also be ruled as being different instances of the ability, thus would be "different sources".

Do you stack temp hps from separate instances of gaining temp hps, when using the same power/ability?

Kordeth

First Post
No. You never add temp hp together. "Different sources" here is being used to mean "more than one source," not to imply that there is a concept of "same source."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The way I understood temp HP was:

General: Benefits from a single source do not stack.

Specific (the passage you quote): Temp HP from different sources also do not stack.

Cheers, -- N

burntgerbil

Explorer
Again, the wizards 4E FAQ spells out that you can not ever "stack" temp hp's. It does not help that they have the FAQ obscured and nearly impossible to find.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
while I agree that temp hp never stack, I will concede that the entry in the PHB does allow for the interpretation that temp hp from the differant applications of the same source could stack.

But the FAQ clears it all up.

Kesh

First Post
There does seem to be one specific exception in that Infernal pact warlocks get to stack their temp HPs received from their Pact Boon. (ie. if more than one cursed target dies, you get the temp HP for each one.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There does seem to be one specific exception in that Infernal pact warlocks get to stack their temp HPs received from their Pact Boon. (ie. if more than one cursed target dies, you get the temp HP for each one.)
The "cumulative" language only appears in the Star Pact boon's block.

What tells you the Infernal Pact is also cumulative?

Cheers, -- N

Kesh

First Post
I can't find it right now, but there was a thread where someone contacted customer service about Improved Dark One's Blessing feat and the answer included that the temp HPs stack. Might not be official, but…

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads