• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking

tburdett

Explorer
I have a quick question.

I understand that a bonus will not stack with the same type of bonus, unless it's one of the exceptions (dodge, armor + shield, etc).

If you look at the description for the Arm of Nyr in the Defenders of the Faith book (Wondrous Item) it states that "A character who makes successful use of the arm gains +2 Strength and +2 Dexterity." It doesn't explain what type of bonus or adjustment this is.

If a character was able to obtain two of these arms, a left arm and a right arm, is there a rule that would prevent them from gaining the Strength and Dexterity bonus from each arm?

The rules in the PHB say that an item can't change a stat by more than +6, but it doesn't specifically say that different items with a different type of bonus, or an unnamed bonus, can't EACH change the stat by +6.

Am I missing something really basic here?

Help.

Thanks.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
IIRC, the sage (may he rest in peace) clarified that the Arm was supposed to give an enhancement bonus.

If it isn't, then the bonus stacks with all other bonuses not from the same source. IMO, having two different arms would be no different from having the same spell cast on you twice (and would therefore not stack).

However, YMMV.

About the +6 cap. What the DMG says about the issue is that enhancment bonuses can't exceed +6 for any given stat. an unnamed bonus would stack on top of that, though.

Also, the ELH further adds that epic magic items can exceed the +6 cap. Unfortunately, the price for an epic item is 10 times what the price of a non-epic version that gave the same bonus would be. (ie. follow the normal formula, but add in an extra *10 multiplier) This leaves epic items firmly out of reach of pretty much any character not already there.

James McMurray

First Post
The arm is priced at 12,800gp. That is equal to (2 x 2 x 1000) + (2 x 2 x 1000 x 2) + 800. Considering that is the formula for an item grnting enhancement bonuses (the second property is doubled), I would say it is an enhancement bonus, with an additional 800gp materials cost.

Of course, I would also calculate the price at 16,800gp, becuse it doesn't take a slot, and therefore the first property should also cost double. One could argue that since you only have two arms it does take a slot in a manner of speaking. However, by that logic, I could invent underwear of health, earrings of wisdom, and a Prince Albert of Sustenance and say they all take slots.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads