• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Staff Based Fighter Class

Talic

First Post
I also like the concept of a strong quick staff fighter, and like you, I've struggled to find a good way to build one. As a couple others have said, I think it works better as a PRC too, but here's my thoughts on what you've got anyway.

Simply for the sake of maintaining the 2-weapon part of using a Q.Staff, you could make the exeption to allow this class to take the 2-weapon fighting feats without meeting the Dex requirements. Those get pretty steep, and since that's the idea behind the class. Why chance characters being locked out from the feats?

With Weapon Block, a shield bonus works ok, but it also makes the 2-weapon defense chain useless. Not neccissarily a problem, just something to be aware of. Since the original writeup called for a Deflection bonus, I assumed you wanted the 2 to stack. If you do, making Weapon Block a dodge bonus is probably the best way to deal with it. The other problem I have with it being a deflection bonus as it was and as a sheild bonus as it is now, is that it works even when you're unaware of an attack.

Lastly, you've got a good selection of skills to choose from and a painful few points to spend on them. Would bumping that to 4 points per level hurt anything?

Tetsubo

First Post
Talic said:
I also like the concept of a strong quick staff fighter, and like you, I've struggled to find a good way to build one. As a couple others have said, I think it works better as a PRC too, but here's my thoughts on what you've got anyway.

Simply for the sake of maintaining the 2-weapon part of using a Q.Staff, you could make the exeption to allow this class to take the 2-weapon fighting feats without meeting the Dex requirements. Those get pretty steep, and since that's the idea behind the class. Why chance characters being locked out from the feats?

With Weapon Block, a shield bonus works ok, but it also makes the 2-weapon defense chain useless. Not neccissarily a problem, just something to be aware of. Since the original writeup called for a Deflection bonus, I assumed you wanted the 2 to stack. If you do, making Weapon Block a dodge bonus is probably the best way to deal with it. The other problem I have with it being a deflection bonus as it was and as a sheild bonus as it is now, is that it works even when you're unaware of an attack.

Lastly, you've got a good selection of skills to choose from and a painful few points to spend on them. Would bumping that to 4 points per level hurt anything?

I had considered 4 skill points a level but it seemed a bit unbalancing. I may ponder that again.

As for the two-weapon feat chain... I don't know if I want the class to have access to it without the DX requirement. A high DX will benefit this class regardless. I guess I will have to consider it at least...

Remove ads