• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Staff of Defense Implement(1H or 2H)

-Avalon-

First Post
I know this is prolly an easy question to answer, but since all implements(except staff) are obviously very light items:rods, wands, orb, holy symbol... is the staff also considered a 1H implement? I know it "can" be used as a quarterstaff, but if the wizard just wants to use it as an implement, can it be just one-handed, kinda like Gandalf carried his staff 1H usually....

So is it 1H or 2H?

Gruns

Explorer
One Hand

I searched but couldn't find the "official answer", but I know I've read it before somewhere:
You can use it as an Implement with 1 hand.
To use it as a Quarterstaff(melee weapon) requires 2 hands, as normal.

Later!
Gruns

-Avalon-

First Post
Cool, so a wizard can get to 20 AC at 1st level...

20 Int
Human feats: Leather/Hide
Staff of Defense
Parrying Dagger

?

As far as I am aware, parrying dagger just used as an item requires no special proficiency, to use as a weapon with the prof bonus, it would require the proficiency though.... a wizard would not care about that, just wants the extra AC bonus hehe...

Midknightsun

Explorer
Ugh, prolly, but i'd be inclined to use Hong's "throw dice at them" method of player behavioral modification if one of my players tried to pull that.

Gruns

Explorer
No.

Cool, so a wizard can get to 20 AC at 1st level...

20 Int
Human feats: Leather/Hide
Staff of Defense
Parrying Dagger

?

As far as I am aware, parrying dagger just used as an item requires no special proficiency, to use as a weapon with the prof bonus, it would require the proficiency though.... a wizard would not care about that, just wants the extra AC bonus hehe...

Denied.
First, you have to be proficient with the Parrying Dagger(or any other Defensive weapon as per the last line in the description on page 8 of AV. "To gain this benefit(the +1 to AC), you need not attack with the Defensive weapon, but you must be proficient with it."
Secondly, even if that wasn't the case, I'd deny this due to the first line in the Defensive description. "A Defensive weapon grants you a +1 bonus to AC while you wield the defensive weapon in one hand and wield another weapon in your other hand." As stated in the posts above, in order for the "implement" to be considered a "weapon" it must be wielded with both hands. Probably not the most rules lawyery correct explanation, but it makes sense to me.
Later!
Gruns

Rafe

First Post
First, you have to be proficient with the Parrying Dagger(or any other Defensive weapon as per the last line in the description on page 8 of AV. "To gain this benefit(the +1 to AC), you need not attack with the Defensive weapon, but you must be proficient with it."

. . .

"A Defensive weapon grants you a +1 bonus to AC while you wield the defensive weapon in one hand and wield another weapon in your other hand." As stated in the posts above, in order for the "implement" to be considered a "weapon" it must be wielded with both hands.

I agree with both parts of this. Also, Parrying Dagger is a Superior Melee Weapon and so requires a feat to use.

Last edited:

Kraydak

First Post
Denied.

This is the problem. Because:

Secondly, even if that wasn't the case, I'd deny this due to the first line in the Defensive description. "A Defensive weapon grants you a +1 bonus to AC while you wield the defensive weapon in one hand and wield another weapon in your other hand." As stated in the posts above, in order for the "implement" to be considered a "weapon" it must be wielded with both hands. Probably not the most rules lawyery correct explanation, but it makes sense to me.
Later!
Gruns

This doesn't really matter. As an object weighing between 1 and 5 pounds, a quarterstaff (and so a staff) qualifies as a 1-handed improvised melee weapon.

-Avalon-

First Post
Denied.

But, the parrying dagger being a lil special, does say (and this is without the books in front of me sorry) that the parrying dagger can be considered to be just a dagger in certain cases, right? Therefore a wizard is slightly proficient in this concept... but I may be mistaken...

That may only apply to rogues, so correct me if I am wrong =)

Kordeth

First Post
That may only apply to rogues, so correct me if I am wrong =)

OK, you're wrong. :)

Adventurer's Vault p. 9 said:
A rogue proficient with this weapon can treat it as a dagger for the purpose of the Rogue Weapon Talent class feature.

In other words, if you're a rogue and you're proficient with a parrying dagger, you get that +1 to hit with daggers from the Rogue Weapon Talent. You still have to spend the feat to be proficient to get any benefit out of the weapon (you could use it without proficiency, but at that point it's literally exactly the same as an unarmed attack barring a magic parrying dagger).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads