• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stand-up from prone is a joke

Dragoslav

First Post
The more I think about it, the more I like the "add 5' required to stand up for each adjacent enemy." Try lying prone right now -- not just lying down casually, but like you just got knocked flat on your face, which is how combatants typically end up prone in D&D. Now try getting up and running to the other side of the room. Imagine there are burly men with swords next to you while you do so. Do you feel how vulnerable you are while standing up? You couldn't just stand back up like nothing happened; you'd have to be really, really careful.

I still think it should be possible to at least stand up regardless of how many enemies are adjacent to you, though.

DogBackward

First Post
I still think it should be possible to at least stand up regardless of how many enemies are adjacent to you, though.
Well, for the average combatant, only 8 enemies can fit around them while prone. That's a 45' movement cost, which means that they'd use their entire movement and then have to use their Action to hustle in order to stand.

But I can easily see just adding a clause like: If the additional movement cost to stand up (that added by adjacent enemies) is higher than your speed, you can still stand up, but it takes up all of your movement.

And with that clause, you can decide whether it applies to just movement, or if you'd still have to use your Action to stand in addition.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
To continue my prior point, there seems to be a big difference in regards to the degree to which one is prone. Not to say that the detail is worth preserving in the game, but I can see at least four gradations:

1) Knocked prone, but retaining movement. That is to say, being knocked down but recovering quickly by rolling with the fall and using it to spring back up.

2) Knocked prone, and losing momentum, but keeping ones hands and legs basically where they can be used to get back up.

3) Knocked prone, and being splayed, such that effort is required to obtain a purchase before standing.

4) Knocked prone, and being splayed, and perhaps in a disadvantageous orientation. Say, on ones back and perhaps winded.

One would need to spend only a little effort to regain their feet in the first case. I can see that requiring a balance or acrobatics check, and costing 5' or 10' of movement. The fourth case seems like it might take a full move action (3 seconds) to recover from. The first case might not draw an AOO, but the fourth certainly should.

The question is, when we say "prone", which case do we mean? Down on ones rear and slightly stunned, or twisting to match the motion of the fall with a quick roll and spring back?

TomB

Stormonu

Legend
Well, for the average combatant, only 8 enemies can fit around them while prone. That's a 45' movement cost, which means that they'd use their entire movement and then have to use their Action to hustle in order to stand.

If there's eight folks surrounding you trying to wail on you, that's pretty much a dogpile anyway and I have no problem with it taking a double-move to get back up. There's a very good chance in that case you're gonna get dragged back down anyways.

Balesir

Adventurer
But "Standing up is faster." isn't why you want to avoid crawling.
"Crawling when you don't have to is a really stupid idea." is why you want to avoid crawling.
Yes, of course, but sometimes you have to because you need to move now, not because you are somehow held down. If you can get up and move simultaneously, this dilemma will never arise, removing much of the point of imposing a "prone" condiditon.

Oh, and in 3' high IRL I would likely get up (unless immediately threatened) and crouch. Is a crouch "prone" or "standing", since we don't have an intermediate stance, it seems?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Yes, of course, but sometimes you have to because you need to move now, not because you are somehow held down. If you can get up and move simultaneously, this dilemma will never arise, removing much of the point of imposing a "prone" condiditon.

Oh, and in 3' high IRL I would likely get up (unless immediately threatened) and crouch. Is a crouch "prone" or "standing", since we don't have an intermediate stance, it seems?

In 3.5E, wouldn't a crouch be considered squeezing?

TomB

Dordledum

First Post
Isn't it a fullround action which provokes AoO in 3.5? Or has that been errata'ed?

Otherwise we have been playing it wrong for the last 10 years or so.

I always thought a fullround action was harsh but only 5 foot of movement as in the playtest is quite ridiculous in comparison.

Remove ads