• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

standard actions question

Arcanus

First Post
I was reading a new class feature of the Assassin Core Class by Green Ronin today and was wondering this:

If your Killing Blow feature alows you to make a coup de grace x-times per day against a flatfooted opponent you should be able to add in your sneak attack damage also. I believe this is correct.

When you do your Killing Blow attack it is done as a standard action. Does this mean you only get one attack? What if you have more than one attack due to your BAB? Do you lose the rest of your attacks when ANY feat or class feature says as a standard action you can do this " " attack?
Could you opt for a full attack action (provided you haven't moved) and finish the rest of your attacks designating one of them a " special " feature attack?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I'll leave what I think about that class ability to one side and answer the questions as best I know.

1. Yes, you'd add sneak attack damage (unless the foe were not denied their dex bonus because of foresight or uncanny dodge). Ordinarily, coup de grace requires a helpless opponent who is automatically denied his or her dex bonus. The Killing Blow apparently only requires the opponent to be flatfooted which usually results in losing his/her dex bonus but doesn't always.

2. It's a special standard action that you use to coup de grace. According to the normal rules, a coup de grace provokes an AoO (I see no indication in your post that the Killing Blow ability negates this) and is the only attack in the round. As a special action, it is not an attack action and does not permit the use of multiple attacks.

Consequently you lose any more attacks than the first.

3. This is also true of any other class ability that requires a standard action. If a new Green Ronin gives the Super Duper Kung Fu Killaz ability that lets you make a special attack once per day as a standard action that gives you 30d100 damage versus a blue eyed foe on the second Tuesday of the month it will still be incompatible with the full attack action because after using a standard action, you only have a move equivalent action left.

Arcanus

First Post
Okay the opponent must be denied his dex bonus wether he has one or not, or if he is helpless, or if he is being flanked by the Assassin. During a surprise round he canuse Killing Blow as his partial action.

However he has to roll to attack his opponent normally and if he hits it is a critical hit. If the opponent survives the critical hit he needs to make a Fortitude save or die. Yes this does provoke an attack of opportunity.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Arcanus said:
Okay the opponent must be denied his dex bonus wether he has one or not, or if he is helpless, or if he is being flanked by the Assassin. During a surprise round he canuse Killing Blow as his partial action.

However he has to roll to attack his opponent normally and if he hits it is a critical hit. If the opponent survives the critical hit he needs to make a Fortitude save or die. Yes this does provoke an attack of opportunity.

In that case, the requisite conditions for Killing blows are the same as for sneak attacks so you should add sneak attack damage in to the total. (Unless there is some form of concealment which negates sneak attacks isn't explicitly stated to negate the possibility of a coup de grace).

You don't specify whether the ability makes this kind of coup de grace a standard action instead of a full round action (although you imply it in the initial post).

In any event, though, it's a specific standard or full round action like using a spell like ability or casting a spell and is consequently unable to be performed as one of the itterative attacks in a full attack action.

Remove ads