• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standard high-level adventurer's kit

Jon_Dahl

First Post
I attempted to create high-level adventuring kit (two versions). You just need to add magical items and not much else.

Standard High-Level Adventurer's Kit - LIGHT VERSION

Dagger, cold iron 4 gp, 1 lbs
Dagger, alchemical silver (hidden on your body), 22 gp,
Backpack, 2 gp, 2 lbs:

• Waterskin, 1 gp, 4 lbs
  • Sack, 1 sp, ½ lbs
  • Rations for 2 days, 1 gp, 5 lbs
  • Alchemist fire, 20 gp, 1 lbs
Beltpouch, 1 gp, ½ lbs:

• Everburning torch, 110 gp, 1 lbs
  • Flint and steel, 1 gp
  • Antitoxin, 50 gp
  • Holy water, 25 gp, 1 lbs
  • Parchment*5, 1 gp
  • Ink, 8 gp
  • Quill, 1 sp
  • Tindertwig, 1 gp
  • Piece of cloth, 1 lbs
Light warhorse, 150 gp
Military saddle, 20 gp, 30 lbs
Bit and bridle, 2 gp, 1 lbs
Saddlebags, 4 gp, 8 lbs:

• Rations for 5 days, 2½ gp, 5 lbs
  • Winterblanket, 5 sp, 3 lbs
  • Winter clothing, 8 gp, 7 lbs
  • Fishing hook
Total value: 449,6 gp
Carried weight: 17½ lbs
Total weight: 73½ lbs

SH-LAK - HEAVY VERSION

Light pick, handaxe or ligh mace (choose a different type than your primary weapon), 4-6 gp, 2-4 lbs
Dagger, cold iron 4 gp, 1 lbs
Dagger, alchemical silver, 22 gp, 1 lbs
Dagger (hidden on your body), 2 gp, 1 lbs

Backpack, 2 gp, 2 lbs:

• Waterskin, 1 gp, 4 lbs
  • Sack, 1 sp, ½ lbs
  • Rations for 2 days, 1 gp, 5 lbs
  • Bullseye lantern, 12 gp, 2 lbs
  • Oil, 1 sp, 1 lbs
  • Sleeping blanket, 1 gp, 5 lbs
  • Crowbar, 2 gp, 5 lbs
  • Chain, 30 gp, 2 lbs
  • Wheatstone
Beltpouch, 1 gp, ½ lbs:

• Flint and steel, 1 gp
  • Tindertwig, 1 gp
  • Piece of cloth, 1 lbs
Light warhorse, 150 gp
Military saddle, 20 gp, 30 lbs
Bit and bridle, 2 gp, 1 lbs
Saddlebags, 4 gp, 8 lbs:

• Rations for 5 days, 2½ gp, 5 lbs
  • Winterblanket, 5 sp, 3 lbs
  • Winter clothing, 8 gp, 7 lbs
  • Fishing hook
  • Oil*5, 5 sp, 5 lbs
  • Knotted silk rope, 10 gp, 5 lbs
  • Grappling hook, 1 gp, 4 lbs
  • Tent, 10 gp, 20 lbs
  • Leather armor, 10 gp, 15 lbs
  • Shovel, 2 gp, 5 lbs
  • Iron pot, 5 sp, 10 lbs
Total value: 307 gp
Carried weight: 29 lbs
Total weight: 149 lbs

Gavinfoxx

Explorer
There are already quite a few of those statted out... have you looked at this?

[3.x] Shax's Indispensible Haversack (Equipment Handbook) - Giant in the Playground Forums

And this isn't high level at all... Remember that high level adventurers have over a quarter of a million gold in gear.

There are LOTS more gear handbooks out there:

Complete MacGyver
Fill That Slot! [3.5] - Giant in the Playground Forums
[3.5] Lists of Necessary Magic Items - Giant in the Playground Forums
Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened
The Utility Belt; or what you should be wearing around your waist
Weapon & Armor Information

And that's only some -- if I want more, there are quite a few more...

Shin Okada

Explorer
Exactly what level range are you targeting for?

Depending on that, I may start replacing Backpack for Heward's Handy Haversack.

Here's some random thoughts.

First, check PHB II Standard Adventurer's Kit. That is a good list indeed.

IMHO, weapons, both silvered dagger and splash weapons, should be eliminated. Those are not needed for all the PCs. And when PCs need splash weapons, they need many.

Everburning torch is not bad. But people tend to rely more on Sunrods. Because a Sunrod sheds better illumination than an Everburning Touch. And, as Sunrod is not a magic item, it cannot be dispelled.

Mounts, should be eliminated, too. Or, at least mounts and related items should be completely optional. In many adventures, mounts (or at least some kind of mounts) are impractical.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
There are already quite a few of those statted out... have you looked at this?

[3.x] Shax's Indispensible Haversack (Equipment Handbook) - Giant in the Playground Forums

And this isn't high level at all... Remember that high level adventurers have over a quarter of a million gold in gear.

There are LOTS more gear handbooks out there:

Complete MacGyver
Fill That Slot! [3.5] - Giant in the Playground Forums
[3.5] Lists of Necessary Magic Items - Giant in the Playground Forums
Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened
The Utility Belt; or what you should be wearing around your waist
Weapon & Armor Information

And that's only some -- if I want more, there are quite a few more...

Well... I do thank you and I did XP you for this post, but quite frankly these threads are filled with a bit broken stuff and several of these items have to be checked with one's DM. I was thinking a bit more Core, you know? :)

[MENTION=1956]Shin Okada[/MENTION]
PHB II is nice, thank you for the thought.

Buugipopuu

First Post
Well... I do thank you and I did XP you for this post, but quite frankly these threads are filled with a bit broken stuff and several of these items have to be checked with one's DM. I was thinking a bit more Core, you know? :)

Even in Core there's no excuse for not having a Handy Haversack once you're above, like, 6th level. Other than 'DM doesn't care about encumbrance, so everyone may as well have infinite-capacity backs of holding for free at 1st level', that is.

Gavinfoxx

Explorer
Also remember that many DMs would be fine about a large number of those items. Power levels in games vary quite a bit, and a good selection of the items in those links ARE in the SRD or DMG, and several of them aren't overpowered at all! So they are still good places to look! And remember -- high level adventurers have handy haversacks. So just find a list of the useful things in PHB/DMG/MM/SRD/ feasible things from those lists, and add them to your list... or just change your list to say, 'things you should have by level 2' rather than, you know, 'high level adventurer's kit'...

kitcik

Adventurer
I read that list and, certainly, my DM would disallow a number of the items.

However, next town I am in, I am getting a bag of flour.

Look carefully, there are definitely some gems that any DM should allow.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
I appreciate all the comments and I will certainly take note of them, but I just want to say that if you want to create a character in 3 minutes and 21 seconds, my list has proven to be somewhat nice, at least for my players. With those MacGyver-links and that rather short list from PHB II I get the feeling that you won't be able create a new character with the same level of convenience and speed.

But these things of course really depend on one's opinion and preference. If you like to take stuff from a bit broken sources like Savage Species and mix stuff from different campaign worlds (play FR and take gear from Eberron splat book) then I suggest that you don't give one thought to the OP.

kitcik

Adventurer
I would say the difference is I don't want to create a new character with convenience and speed. I enjoy taking my time and considering varied options. Character creation is one of the more enjoyable aspects of 3.5.

That said, lists like your are helpful for NPC generation and for provoking ideas.

nijineko

Explorer
i would put in some magic items that generate, or satisfy the need for, food, water, and air, as well as some environmental adaption stuff.

Remove ads