• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standard/Move/Minor?

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Is standard/move/minor the best way?

I believe standard/minor would work better in that you would have to make more considered choices each round looking tactically to which way you think the battle would flow.

Of course rogues would have abilities/powers/whatever to move and attack in a single round, but not do the level of damage of more stationary classes.

Hmm

NewJeffCT

First Post
I tend to like the 3 actions each round, as it gives some classes the ability to do something unique in a round by using a minor or move.

I think what needs to be trimmed back is the number of immediate actions - interrupts and reactions. (Ha! My bad guy interrupts your attack and does 27 points of damage to you instead... no he doesn't, my guy has a Daily interrupt that stops your bad guy's attack, and then does 12 points of damage in return... Ah ha! Whenever my bad guy takes damage from an interrupt power, he can shift 3 as an immediate interrupt. Nyah nyah nyah nyah!)

Spatula

Explorer
I'm down with reducing it to Standard + minor or just Standard (where what are now minor actions become free actions), but I don't feel that strongly about it.

I do think that having the three different actions can slow down combat. But that might have just been a problem specific to 4e, because a PC could accumulate a lot of powers or items that required a minor action to activate. Leading to some players searching their character sheet for extra things they could be doing with an otherwise unused minor.

In 3e, almost anything worth doing costs a standard action, resulting in less indecisiveness when it's your turn.

Have some variety of triggered action, because it keeps players interested in the action so everyone pays attention during combat. But make it a once-per-encounter (or X per day) option, so it won't happen too often.

R

RHGreen

The Standard, Move, Minor change was probably one of my favourites introduced in 4E. But as others have said, I think interupts etc, need a good looking at.

Stalker0

Legend
I also would take a cleaver to immediate/interrupts before minor actions.

I thought the swift action in 3e was a great evolution that was nicely polished in 4e.

Further, its a nice complexity dial because unless you take minor action powers (or whatever 5e equivalent) they don't come up that much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads