• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standard of Living: Alternative to tracking gold pieces

Ningauble

First Post
I got this idea from The One Ring rpg. Instead of tracking every gold piece, assign a Standard of Living rating. SL ranges from +0 (impoverished) to +10 (wealthy). If the character wishes to buy something, the DM will compare the character's SL rating to the expense and availability of the item and set a target DC: Very Common 0 (automatic), Common DC 10, Uncommon DC 15, Rare DC 20, Very Rare DC 25. If the PC fails the roll, the item is not currently available or the PC lacks the funds. The PC can reroll after sufficient time passes or he acquires additional funds or treasure. Each rating score will have a tier associated with a social class: 0-1 impoverished, 2-3 poor, 4-5 middle class, 6-7 merchant class, 8-9 upper class, 10 wealthy / nobility.

I'm planning to run a gritty campaign with no magic stores. There really isn't much purpose to keep track of gold if the characters aren't buying magic items or resurrections, etc. Sure I suppose they could hire henchmen, buy a business or build a castle, but that seems like more hassle than its worth to figure out all the costs in gold pieces. I just finished a Pathfinder campaign in Ptolus and the characters could buy magic items and even custom order them. They kept a huge treasure list and were constantly buying and selling items. It could take an hour or more some sessions. It was a fun campaign, but that part got to be a headache. Also, I'm sick of characters looting every dead body, even used weapons, etc. Also, inevitability the characters become too wealthy, too quickly, at least compared to the average peasant.

Anyone try anything like this before? How did it work?

Last edited:

Remove ads