• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standing doesn't provoke an OA?

MarauderX

Explorer
Per the rules, standing is a move action and does not provoke an OA, correct? How about when you are attempting to stand and a foe is in the same square? Regularly you would shift to an open square. Does the standing character get to choose the square? Does this still not suffer an OA? What if the character attempts to stand in a crowded hallway where the only choice is to crowd with an enemy - does this shift the whole crowd until the standing character gets his own square?

In my own experience, standing should provoke an OA. For those who have been on the ground or put others on the ground in a fight know the advantage you have as your opponent regains his feet.

NorthSaber

First Post
If the foe cannot stand up in his own square, he can choose which adjacent vacant square to stand up to - but AFAIK this counts as leaving a square, which does provoke an OA. That's my reading of the rules, at any rate.

If there are no vacant adjacent squares, I'd say he can't get up at all.

jdpacheco

First Post
The rules seem pretty cut & dry to me...

Pg 292, "Stand Up"...

(a) It's a move action
(b) It's doesn't say that it provokes an OA, so it doesn't provoke an OA. House ruling that it does probably wouldn't change *much*, but keep in mind that there are a lot more things in 4e than there were in 3.x which will knock you (or your opponent) down.
(c) If your square is occupied, you *shift* into an adjacent occupied square, so no OA on that.
(d) If your square and all adjacent squares are occupied, you can't stand.

With the exception of (b), all of those items are clearly stated in the PHB.

jdpacheco

First Post
Can't stand in an occupied square AFAIK, so if you are prone nobody can be in your square in the first place.

Page 283: You can't end your movement in an ally's square unless that ally is prone. You can't end your movement in an opponent's square unless that opponent is helpless.

Though I wonder what that means in terms of cover from range attacks?

Chen_93

First Post
If the foe cannot stand up in his own square, he can choose which adjacent vacant square to stand up to - but AFAIK this counts as leaving a square, which does provoke an OA. That's my reading of the rules, at any rate.

If there are no vacant adjacent squares, I'd say he can't get up at all.

The movement allowed by getting up in an occupied space is a shift so no OA is provoked (unless you're marked by a war priest).

JGulick

First Post

The rules (PHB p. 292) specifically say he can "shift 1 space" in that situation.

Shifts do not provoke.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
In my own experience, standing should provoke an OA. For those who have been on the ground or put others on the ground in a fight know the advantage you have as your opponent regains his feet.

Although it's probably worth pointing out that this advantage is significantly less than the advantage you get from your foe being prone in the first place.

That being the case why doesn't being knocked prone/lying prone provoke an OA?

Danceofmasks

First Post
I was trying to find the rule that says that if a Fighter's combat superiority stops a foe while it's trying to leave its ally's space (due to being in the middle of movement), since they both now occupy the same space ...
One of them falls prone. I just can't find the bit that says who.
I'm quite sure it's the one moving, but ... aargh.

JGulick

First Post
I was trying to find the rule that says that if a Fighter's combat superiority stops a foe while it's trying to leave its ally's space (due to being in the middle of movement), since they both now occupy the same space ...
One of them falls prone. I just can't find the bit that says who.
I'm quite sure it's the one moving, but ... aargh.
Wouldn't be an issue.

It's a Fighter's OA's that stop movement, not his Combat Challenge-based Immediate Interrupt basic attack, which is NOT an OA.

Remove ads