• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standing doesn't provoke an OA?

Talzar

First Post
It does seem odd to me that there is not a way to stand up, via force, while someone else is occupying your square. I was expecting something similar to a bull rush attack to either push the person back (and you stand up), or if they cannot move into an adjacent square, they are knocked prone and you stand up.

I suppose I could house rule it, but it does seem as if that option should have been written into the rules. Maybe I just overlooked it.

DM_Blake

First Post
It does seem odd to me that there is not a way to stand up, via force, while someone else is occupying your square. I was expecting something similar to a bull rush attack to either push the person back (and you stand up), or if they cannot move into an adjacent square, they are knocked prone and you stand up.

I suppose I could house rule it, but it does seem as if that option should have been written into the rules. Maybe I just overlooked it.

This sounds more like a feat. Something a trained individual (someone who takes the feat) can do but the rest of us cannot.

DM_Blake

First Post
As for me, I find it very strange that you can stand up in an adjacent square but only if your square is occupied.

If you can scoot out from under a hostile orc and end up on your feet in an adjacent square, why can't you simply scoot out from an empty square and end up on your feet in an adjacent square?

My group has already houseruled that any time you're prone, you can stand up in any adjacent square using the rules for standing up in an occupied square, even if your square is not occupied.

JGulick

First Post
Would come up with a Fighter/War Priest though
I would say it still would not.

Because in that case, it is not the target's movement that provoked the OA (necessary to trigger Combat Superiority's movement-canceling effect). Rather, it is the Warpriest's Challenge which caused the OA, which itself was triggered by the Shift.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I would say it still would not.

Because in that case, it is not the target's movement that provoked the OA (necessary to trigger Combat Superiority's movement-canceling effect). Rather, it is the Warpriest's Challenge which caused the OA, which itself was triggered by the Shift.

Hmm? You've marked the target. The next time he shifts, you can make an OA. Since the OA is an opportunity action, it occurs before the shift is resolved, while he is still in his starting square. Since you're also a fighter, your OA causes him to stop if it hits - still in his starting square.

DM_Blake said:
As for me, I find it very strange that you can stand up in an adjacent square but only if your square is occupied.

If you can scoot out from under a hostile orc and end up on your feet in an adjacent square, why can't you simply scoot out from an empty square and end up on your feet in an adjacent square?

It's the same reason that if you try to push me over a cliff, I can potentially prevent it by falling prone, but if you push me down the corridor, I have no recourse.

Desperate necessity yields otherwise impossible results :)

-Hyp.

JGulick

First Post
Hmm? You've marked the target. The next time he shifts, you can make an OA. Since the OA is an opportunity action, it occurs before the shift is resolved, while he is still in his starting square. Since you're also a fighter, your OA causes him to stop if it hits - still in his starting square.
Nope. It isn't an OA provoked by the move, as required by the Combat Superiority text. It can't be provoked by the move, because Shifts do not provoke OAs, nor does Standing Up (which is the actual action taken, the shift being a result of that). Instead, it's an OA provided by a power. And, as such, does not activate CS's move-ending effect.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nope. It isn't an OA provoked by the move, as required by the Combat Superiority text. It can't be provoked by the move, because Shifts do not provoke OAs, nor does Standing Up (which is the actual action taken, the shift being a result of that). Instead, it's an OA provided by a power. And, as such, does not activate CS's move-ending effect.

Ah, I see now.

While you dispute that the OA is provoked by the shift, would you agree that the OA is triggered by the shift?

-Hyp.

StormCrow42

Explorer

But you can't shift out from under the hostile orc, for the simple reason that he can't be standing above you in the first place (enemies can only occupy your square if you're helpless). You can however, shift out from under your buddy standing over/by your prone body, perhaps he's providing enough cover for you to get away.

JGulick

First Post
Ah, I see now.

While you dispute that the OA is provoked by the shift, would you agree that the OA is triggered by the shift?

No. I would be more careful. The power is activated by the shift. That is all the shift does.

The power then allows an OA.

A causes B then B causes C is not the same as A causes C. If it was, you couldn't push anyone into a deep pit under the rules, because Push cannot have the destination square be outside of Line of Effect.

Likewise, someone under Divine Challenge could, IMO, move onto a trap trigger that activates a trap which will cause an effect not targeting the Paladin without taking damage, because he didn't do anything that is "making an attack".

Combat Superiority requires an OA provoked by a Move. That does not exist in this case. We have an OA provided by a power which was triggered by a Shift which was itself triggered by a Stand Up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads