• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standing up from prone

darkadelphia

First Post
Errata or not, I'm inclined to let you spend a move action to move (not shift) one square while prone, so you can try to roll out of the way of a monster's attack or the like.
As noted above, this is allowed under the crawl mechanic. However, keep in mind that crawling provokes OAs. This would significantly increase the power of the prone condition.

Sphyre

First Post
This leads to situations in which it is convenient to have someone in your square. I'm thinking about letting characters shift in any case... thoughts?

Knocking someone prone serves two purposes:

1. Gaining combat advantage and other combat related benefits (like -2 to hit with melee for the target)
  2. Consuming the target's move action to get up, therefor limiting possible movement.

Allowing a shift when you get up on all getting up would step on the second function's toes. I wouldn't implement it unless you want to weaken the prone condition. Being as it's such an easy condition to remove (simply spend a move action) I'm not inclined to nerf it.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Consuming the target's move action to get up, therefor limiting possible movement.
Yet, as we where discussing, this limitation of movement is negated by the presence of an ally or an enemy in the target square.

It has been suggested that an ally could help you stand, which I guess is more or less plausible.

With an enemy the situation is patently absurd and the only consolation is that it's an unlikely situation.

Sphyre

First Post
Yet, as we where discussing, this limitation of movement is negated by the presence of an ally or an enemy in the target square.

It's a rule that helps adjudicate where you are when someone is in your square. Since they can be in your square when you're prone, if you get up, you both can't be standing in that square. Therefor the rule for a free shift to make sure there's no inconsistency of being in the same spot.

If your ally wants to take the time to get into your square to allow you to shift, then that's a strategy to allow you a free shift, at the cost of their having to position themselves there. It cost something to give you that shift, even if it was small.

It changes the following scenario (Assuming you have the same speed as the enemy):

The last conscious enemy tries to get away. In an effect to slow the enemy down, you knock him prone. On his turn, he uses a move action to get up, and a move action to move his speed and provokes an opportunity attack. Your turn comes around again and you use a move action to get back up to him, and can spend a standard action to do what you need to him.

With a free shift:

The last conscious enemy tries to get away. In an effect to slow the enemy down, you knock him prone. On his turn, he uses a move action to get up and shift farther away from you and move his speed away from you. Given that the target is your speed +1 away, you have to spend both your move action and a charge to reach the target instead of having a choice is standard actions.

That's not the only scenario it changes, but it's an example of how it nerfs the prone condition. If that's what you want to do, go ahead. But you asked what my thoughts were. My thoughts are that it nerfs the prone condition and the only reason why you should change it is if you willfully want to nerf the prone condition.

MarkB

Legend
One alternative would be to allow a character to move (not shift) up to one square when standing from prone, and to require that move when standing up in an occupied square.

This would make Prone more powerful in the fairly unusual circumstance of standing up in an occupied square, as you would provoke OAs, but make it weaker if there are no adjacent enemies when you stand up, as you can get in a square of movement at the same time.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It's a rule that helps adjudicate where you are when someone is in your square.
Yes, I understand the rule and why it is there... as I already wrote several times, I have a slight problem with it. On the other hand, the situation is uncommon, so it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
This would make Prone more powerful in the fairly unusual circumstance of standing up in an occupied square, as you would provoke OAs, but make it weaker if there are no adjacent enemies when you stand up, as you can get in a square of movement at the same time.
One alternative, could be to deny a prone character the chance to stand up when an enemy is occupying his square. It make the condition more dangerous, but it doesn't happen very often.

Danceofmasks

First Post
It could also be hilarious to walk over to a prone ally, then lie down next (in the same square) to him.
Next monster does the same thing.

PCs open a 5'x5' broom closet to find 1000 kobolds sleeping together.

Remove ads