• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Frontiers? Gamma World?

Darrin Drader

Explorer
The Alternity version of Gamma World is pretty good also. It was done as a standalone book, everything you needed, and it was the only book done. I have it in storage so don't have it on hand, but if memory serves it shrunk the map down to just Wisconsin, leaving the rest of the country and world up for grabs. You might look for it and give it a try.

Actually it was the Seattle area. I always thought it was cool because it detailed places that I would see pretty regularly.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I was under the impression the guy always had permission to do all this with Star Frontiers. Glad I have everything DLed while its legal.

Based on the disclaimers attached to the SF modules in the second link and lack of statement granting permission, they are not legal.

smootrk

First Post
I was under the impression the guy always had permission to do all this with Star Frontiers. Glad I have everything DLed while its legal.
And you are correct. Bill has limited permission for the remastered stuff you see (from WotC). He just cannot (currently) remaster any other books than what he had finished already. Altogether new material (via Star Frontiersman Magazine) is totally OK regardless.

I am not sure if he has the actual letter showing this permission posted anywhere, but I have had more than one exchange with him personally (bill/CleanCutRogue) where he told me what he could do or not do.

Shroomy

Adventurer
And you are correct. Bill has limited permission for the remastered stuff you see (from WotC). He just cannot (currently) remaster any other books than what he had finished already. Altogether new material (via Star Frontiersman Magazine) is totally OK regardless.

I am not sure if he has the actual letter showing this permission posted anywhere, but I have had more than one exchange with him personally (bill/CleanCutRogue) where he told me what he could do or not do.

Eh, I guess I shouldn't shoot my mouth off before I know all the facts.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
1st Edition didn't have a setting.
2nd Edition's base setting was the area around the Appalachians
3rd Edition just defaulted to 2nd Edition, though it did have a great map of ruined Pittsburgh.
4th Edition did the Old Northwest, south and west of Chicago (though it caused continuity problems with older modules).
Alternity did the Seattle Region
S&S's version eventually gave scattered settings from around the world.

Treebore

First Post

Cool. I was pretty sure I read somewhere he had permission. Plus its good to hear he has the right kind of permission to keep doing new magazines, I've enjoyed those a lot.

smootrk

First Post
Cool. I was pretty sure I read somewhere he had permission. Plus its good to hear he has the right kind of permission to keep doing new magazines, I've enjoyed those a lot.
and for what it is worth, at the very bottom edge of the Star Frontiersman | Magazine! page is a piece of text where it is stated that he has limited permission although it does not directly define these permissions. See last few words of this line.

scourger

Explorer
Gamma World is one of the best classic, old school, RPG settings. I cannot now tell you much about the rules as I lost track of my old boxed set many years ago. I don't think I could go back to those rules now anyway. So, for me, the best iteration of GW is Omega World d20. It is a fantastic mini-game on the Polyhedron side of Dungeon Magazine #94. It is a very concise treatment of the setting and tweaks to the d20 rules to make it happen. I used it with the adventures in the aforementioned Alternity Gamma World for a nice mini-campaign. It was a lot of fun. AGW has a great setting and story arc (if you read it through). Our group also played OWd20 using a classic GW module, Legion of Gold--also much fun & very classic.

I recently reacquired Star Frontiers. I like the basic game, but the advanced rules don't do it for me. I plan to run it as a 1-shot. Hate to punch the counters; but a game is meant to be played, after all. It has some nostalgia value, but I don't see it as a game playable for the long (or even mid) term.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I recently reacquired Star Frontiers. I like the basic game, but the advanced rules don't do it for me. I plan to run it as a 1-shot. Hate to punch the counters; but a game is meant to be played, after all. It has some nostalgia value, but I don't see it as a game playable for the long (or even mid) term.

Color copier or this: starfrontiers.com on cardstock. There is a lot of storyline you could do with the game for a long running campaign. Though I think that space cowboyism has infected too many SF games having characters run around in the outworlds exploring when you could play almost any kind of story with an SF twist.

Remove ads