• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek: Enterprise -[Final Mission]- Stardate:503150. Final Log

TBoarder

Explorer
For anyone wishing that B&B would've included Archer's speech, think of this... do any of you think that they could've written something as important and historically significant as that speech successfully? Personally after seeing the episode, I was releived that they didn't show it...

Being only the second episode I've seen since Enterprise premeired, I felt like I was kicked in the groin by the callous stupidity of the episode... I can only imagine what fans of the show, and more specifically, fans of Trip, must've felt.

Finally, I agree, it was kinda cool to hear all 3 captains do the "Space, the final frontier" monologue, but starting it with Picard only served to make it feel even more like a TNG episode than an Enterprise one. Nice "valentine" for the fans... :\

Definitely appaling...

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
As someone who has been a diehard Trek fan since I was a kid (and that's a long time ago now) I have to say the Enterprise finale was appalling, IMO. If I ever meet the writers of this episode I'll punch them square in the face until they apologize.

Richards

Legend
Why stop with just a punch to the face? I think we finally found a justifiable use for that "agonizer booth" that evil-Phlox and evil-Reed designed in the mirror universe storyline....

What a sad end to a series that was, this season, just starting to realize its potential.

Johnathan

Seonaid

Explorer
Cthulhudrew said:
I had the feeling that the mistargeting/sabotage that took place was actually done by Trip while Archer was battling Paxton. He was standing behind some kind of console thingy with the airmask on when he talked to Archer.
D'oh! Good point. Still doesn't explain the lack of effect it had on San Francisco . . . :)

I am also glad that they didn't show Archer's speech. At least someone there realized that no one would be able to pull that off and declined to try.

I was confused by the sudden shift in time, but I thought that was due to the fact that I hadn't watched in years. Had I thought about it, I would have agreed with those who mentioned promotions--ten years is a long time to not be promoted, or at least recognized, for jobs well done.
Edit: it also doesn't make sense that 10 years go by and no one significant is killed and then Trip dies in a ridiculous manner.

Even with the horrible episode, I wish it had been a two-parter, or at least two hours. It didn't feel like there was any closure, and it seemed like a regular episode with a strangely inappropriate montage at the end. (I, also, thought starting with Picard was odd, to say the least.)

Edit: I wish I could see what they cut from the episode, to know if anything was explained more fully in the original filming. I felt confused, as I said earlier, and wonder if it was just missing most of the show or if there was a reason for it.

Ugh.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Seonaid said:
D'oh! Good point. Still doesn't explain the lack of effect it had on San Francisco . . . :)

I am also glad that they didn't show Archer's speech. At least someone there realized that no one would be able to pull that off and declined to try.

I also assumed Trip sabotaged it, but figured it was after breaking out of the Brig and before meeting Archer.

They don't show the damage (like they don't show the one guy commit suicide), but the wave that formed... well, I think it did some damage. (It does feel like Trip, if he did something, should have done something MORE, but it's okay.)

I started watching the second ep, and had no idea WHAT Riker was trying to decide, or why it was important, or what the heck it was. I must have missed something, since I didn't even know it was 6 years later or anything. I stopped about 10 minutes in, and switched on the XBox.

I think ending with the first episode, and Archer salvaging the Federation (somewhat) was a good ending.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
wingsandsword said:
Terra Prime was a good close to the series. It felt like good Trek, some drama, some action, it generally made sense (the array was reasonably explained, I presume it doesn't work against shields or there was some other perfectly good reason why it wasn't used on the Xindi weapon), and I'll presume that part of Mars was pointed toward that part of Earth at the right time for that shot to work.

It was out of order and the parts wouldn't be installed until Tuesday? :lol:

These are the Voyages was two things, a footnote-glimpse of the day the Federation was founded, and an appendix to the TNG episode "The Pegasus". I can see how the cast of Enterprise felt like second-fiddle at their own finale, being shunted to being holodeck characters just there to be background to a story told a decade ago. You could tell Manny Coto was out of the loop on that one I'm sad to say. Trip's death belongs right behind Tasha Yar on the Senseless Trek Deaths list, with Kirk getting randomly shot in the back also way up there (of course, Generations and Kirk's death was another Berman/Braga concept, so this is par for the course for them).

I'd rather the whole episode been nothing but the Enterprise crew, not with Troi and Riker thrown in. And it seemed sloppily put together. We didn't need them in there for the finale at all. Who really cares about Riker's struggle with his decision on an episode aired a decade ago? Trip's death was senseless and stupid.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
The worst part was the throwaway line by Troi- "It's too bad he didn't realize he wouldn't be coming back from Rigel." Gee- way to telegraph the entire rest of the episode.

Why not go ahead and ruin it for us while you're at it?!?! Which is exactly what they did with that. We knew that Trip was gonna die before seein him do so.
with her and Trip.

Terra Prime was definitely a better finale. Anyway, the last couple of seconds, with the three generations of Enterprise commanders speaking those famous lines was cool.

I agree. The last few seconds with the final voiceover is the only saving grace for a sucky episode that coulda been penned better by 6th graders.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Villano said:
I've said on these boards that I don't get UPN, but that I really wanted to see the series. After reading this thread, I don't want to anymore. :(

BTW, wasn't Enterprise supposed to answer the Klingon forehead question? Did they?

The only explanation I can give is that they ate too many Ruffles rippled potato chips. :lol:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Orius said:
Exactly. I wanted to see the speech, and hear someone say something about the Federation. Instead we get Riker and Troi in the peanut gallery.

That's because the "writers" woulda snafu'd the speech just like they did the rest of the episode.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads