• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star War The Role-playing Game Stats

David Kinney

First Post
I'm playing the old d6 system with some friends. The GM slightly modified it, but the system is essentially the same.
My biggest question is about improving the base stats, let's say intelligence.
I'm not sure if it's fair or not, but apparently I would have to raise every single skill at one time to raise intelligence. That's 8 skills, all at once in a single attempt.
Has anyone ever heard of that? Cause honestly that's a lot of skill points (essentially xp) to use just to go from 2D to 3D.
I would think that it would be based off the lowest skill. Example - once I have all skills above 2D (like 2D+1 and up) I have the option to increase the base stat, but not higher than my lowest skill, so if my lowest is still 2D+1, then I could surpass that.
Know I know the GM is basically god of this, but honestly, does his way make any sense? Cause we've gotten 25 skill points at most per session. We essentially suck it at combat because we can't get enough to boost our base stats. Skills work out fine (sometimes) but out base stats affect our damage (which so far,the highest has been 1, despite hitting 2 out 4 times. Our enemies have 20+ wound (hp) and there are enough to keep the 4 of us on 2 or 3 a piece)

JeffB

Legend
[MENTION=6889814]David Kinney[/MENTION]

Which version are you playing?

In the original game, you don't increase stat die codes, only skill die codes. This is so people can't spend a few XP and get a big upgrade to every skill under that stat.

I did not play the "blue book" 2e, only the R&E, but I do not recall the rule there. Based on what you are saying here, it sounds like it's a similar limiting device so you can't just beef up a stat and get a upgrade for every skill under that stat.

25xp sounds like a bunch per session. 1st edition recommends 10 max per session (but later versions have more skills, so..)

Last edited:

David Kinney

First Post
[MENTION=518]JeffB[/MENTION]

It's the old 1987 d6 version. Too much to spend on a book because of its age, but so out it doesn't have a pdf to check with

I am aware of the inability to increase stats in the later RPG games. But this one just seems weird

JeffB

Legend
[MENTION=518]JeffB[/MENTION]

It's the old 1987 d6 version. Too much to spend on a book because of its age, but so out it doesn't have a pdf to check with

I am aware of the inability to increase stats in the later RPG games. But this one just seems weird

Unless there was something that was added with the "rules update" that came out several months after the games release ( included in the original modules they released) or the "rules companion" circa 1989, there is no rule in the 1st edition that allows for an increase in stats with xp. Only individual skills under a stat.

Perhaps your GM is using a house rule or one of these later upgrades.

X13Phantom

Explorer
Starting level players should be pretty decent, would be nice to know what you're playing. (smuggler, bounty hunter etc..)In later editions you could raise your attributes it was ten times the stat number per pip but there was a risk that you would lose the skill points and not get an increase ( I don't remember the details)

Getting 25 skill points at a time is way too much, especially in first edition later editions limited the amount you could raise a skill per adventure.

Killing things should not be too hard unless you have bad weapons and bad rolls although if your GM added hit points I don't know how that would change the game because the west end games version did not use them.

Remove ads