• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars: Andor

MarkB

Legend
Or the Tantive IV may have the same ID-masking tech that the crew of the Ghost used all the time in Rebels, and they're genuinely trying to bluff it out as being an entirely different Corellian Corvette than the one that escaped Scarif, however transparent the attempt.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
There is a difference between attacking a ship you suspect has the secret plans and attacking a ship that was fleeing a battle. I feel it fundamentally changes the opening, from the Empire attacking a diplomatic vessel in open space, to the Empire attacking a hostile rebel vessel they pursued from a battle. In one scenario Vader has accusations, in the second he has proof.
I enjoyed Rogue One a lot. Was it necessary? No. Does it enrich and broaden the Star Wars saga? Yes.

Before Rogue One, Vader's interception of the Tantive IV was warranted by his statements "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you." In fact, this is one of my few continuity complaints about Rogue One: nothing was beamed to the Tantive IV. As Vader well knows, the plans were physically handed off.

I enjoyed Rogue One a lot. Was it necessary? No. Does it enrich and broaden the Star Wars saga? Yes.

Before Rogue One, Vader's interception of the Tantive IV was warranted by his statements "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you." In fact, this is one of my few continuity complaints about Rogue One: nothing was beamed to the Tantive IV. As Vader well knows, the plans were physically handed off.
Reminds me of a clickbait FB post about how R1 finally answered the huge plot hole of the Extra Chair at the Table,

I just want what happened with Andor to be an exception. I wouldn't want Leia being cool with suicide bombers or the rebellion accepting mass civilian casualties as "the price of freedom". I want the good guys to be good guys.

MarkB

Legend

Does he? Sure, people were running away from him down a corridor carrying something, but even if he noticed that he doesn't know it was the plans. There's no particular reason, from his perspective, that the smaller ship couldn't have picked up the same transmission its mothership did.

Celebrim

Legend
Or the Tantive IV may have the same ID-masking tech that the crew of the Ghost used all the time in Rebels, and they're genuinely trying to bluff it out as being an entirely different Corellian Corvette than the one that escaped Scarif, however transparent the attempt.

Yeah, this is pretty standard in my Star Wars D6 campaign. The PC's own a ship called "The Dogfish" that they have illegal transponder masking and forging software on, so that they superficially can appear to be a different ship than what they actually are.

In the Andor series, when Andor steals the used space craft from the dealer he works for, he pulls out the transponder so that it won't transmit a signal. This is why his friend when he sees he's putting the transponder back in is so angry, and ultimately one of the reasons he is compromised. If he had the illegal transponder forging equipment he wouldn't have stood out when flight operations ran the tapes of the inbound ships from the prior evening.

And my Star Wars D6 campaign is a bounty hunter campaign so this sort of process of finding someone (or not getting found themselves) is something they've been doing in game since the start of the campaign.

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Does he? Sure, people were running away from him down a corridor carrying something, but even if he noticed that he doesn't know it was the plans. There's no particular reason, from his perspective, that the smaller ship couldn't have picked up the same transmission its mothership did.
Fair point, but he does know the last of those rebel troopers he was mowing down was saying "Here, here! Take it! Take it!" and handing something off to crewmen on the Tantive IV as Vader approached (and death was imminent). Whatever was handed off must be very important, most likely the plans.

Zardnaar

Legend
Tantive IV also fired on Vader's ship.

IRL try firing on government forces and see what happens (cops, military).

Fleeing is one thing but either way Vader was correct. Pre Rogue one he had them dead to rights. Even then Leia's protests were weak

Even if the Tantive IV could appear as a different ship it didn't matter. Once they boarded were they wearing rebel uniforms or was that the Alderaan one? From memory it was the same as the rebels on Yavin same movie.

Celebrim

Legend
I just want what happened with Andor to be an exception. I wouldn't want Leia being cool with suicide bombers or the rebellion accepting mass civilian casualties as "the price of freedom". I want the good guys to be good guys.

The Rebel Alliance isn't cool with suicide bombers, civilian targets, or mass collateral damage. That's why they've broke with other anti-Imperial groups like the Partisan Front and the Justice Action Network.

Remove ads