• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars D20 Character Ideas

duo963

First Post
My friends and I recently decided to pick up the d20 Star Wars game again (set in the early Old Republic), and I am looking for ideas for my new character. In the past, I have done the Human Jedi Guardian turned Dark Side Marauder, a Wookie Teras Kasi master, and a Trandoshan Bounty Hunter that specialized on hunting down Jedi.
I have focused mostly on the physical, brutish characters, which I enjoy thoroughly in the pen and paper games. However, I would like to get away from that and try to step outside of my comfort zone. That being said, I falter horribly at the charismatic/cloak and dagger focused characters such as the Noble or Scoundrel, so I am thinking something more along the line of a possible force user.
While ideally, I would like to have a primarily force-based character, I am open to anything. I am very interested in seeing what class combinations people have come up with.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Do you know what general theme the campaign is going to focus on? And what does the rest of the party look like? Answers to those could nix or trump certain character concepts.

Those questions aside, would a sagely force-using seer type of character appeal to you? (Similar to Yoda before he turned into a silly, bouncing, lightsaber-wielding cartoon.) Your choice of powers and how you play the character would diverge from the combat focused Jedi that you've played before. And the mental strengths of the character would be in their wisdom, not in their charisma.

duo963

First Post
He usually doesn't give much of a back story of the campaign until the first time we sit down to play. The campaigns are usually combat-oriented, but he's claiming to want to make it more RP this time around. Which, in reality, probably means that we will be RPing until the 2nd or 3rd game and rarely see any character development past that, which renders my back-stories moot. As far as the rest of the party, I'm not sure what they are going to choose yet.
I was thinking of something along the lines of a character that was more aloof, seemingly uncaring of worldly issues. I typically play the more serious role with a lot of my characters, and I think that changing it up with a somewhat quirky one would be fun. That being said, I'm not talking the bumbling idiot Jar-Jar quirky, but more along the lines of being somewhat off-kilter, making more than one person tilt their head in confusion.
I dusted off my pile of source books, and I am looking through the different prestige classes for something to work towards, but not seeing much that really catches my interest.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
He usually doesn't give much of a back story of the campaign until the first time we sit down to play.

That's unfortunate. I often have a difficult time coming up with a character if I had no idea what the campaign would be about. It's no fun to make a non-combat character for a heavily RP campaign only to have it turn entirely into combat 2-3 session into the campaign.

Is there any chance you can convince him to give you all a better overview of what the campaign will be about and what types of characters will fit well into the campaign?

As far as the rest of the party, I'm not sure what they are going to choose yet.

I'd try to suss out what some of the other players are thinking about but that's because I dislike sharing a theme/niche in the party. If I created a Wookie Force Adept and then someone else came with one too, I'd try to come up with a different character.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a character that was more aloof, seemingly uncaring of worldly issues. I typically play the more serious role with a lot of my characters, and I think that changing it up with a somewhat quirky one would be fun. That being said, I'm not talking the bumbling idiot Jar-Jar quirky, but more along the lines of being somewhat off-kilter, making more than one person tilt their head in confusion.

What about a failed Jedi. He either was a Jedi Knight or was training to be one but somehow didn't measure up. Maybe he's a drunk, or lost his faith, or gave up for some other reason. Now he's stuck in a mire, his potential completely unfulfilled, and he doesn't know how to change (or knows but doesn't have the will). Any finely honed force powers have slipped or forgotten entirely, along with his lightsaber.

pawsplay

Hero
A Zeison Sha force adept, wielding a discblade! The group's background also allows a variety of species choices.

What version of Star Wars d20? Original, revised, Saga?

duo963

First Post
We are playing the revised version.

Not knowing what people are doing is the worst part about the group I play with. There isn't always a definitive thing until last second, which I have taken to creating two different characters to compensate for.

The idea of a failed Jedi is somewhat interesting.
The Zeison Sha are a bit more martial than I would like, but I did intend to use primarily telekinesis as an offensive/defensive ability, so I'll think more on that.
With the Dathomir Witches, I might be able to hash out terms to get a Rancor companion when I leave, assuming they were "tamed" at that time.

I'm leaning more towards the "caster" character type. While I know that there really isn't such a thing in the SW universe, but I'd like to make something close. I'll blaze through vitality in no time, but there are ways around that issue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads