• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars d20

Vrylakos

First Post
Ok. I have the Revised and Original d20 books.

I'd like to know if its enough to run a game for a good while. How is the game?
Also, what books are REALLY good to get?

I'm thinking of doing a KOTOR type game. Any advice?

Vrylakos

Vrylakos said:
Ok. I have the Revised and Original d20 books.

I'd like to know if its enough to run a game for a good while. How is the game?
Also, what books are REALLY good to get?

I'm thinking of doing a KOTOR type game. Any advice?

Vrylakos

If you've got a bit of imagination, and aren't planning anything too complex, then the base rulebook should be enough. General consensus seems to be that the Revised rules work much better - I haven't got the original book so I can't offer any opinions on this one. Make sure to get your hands on the errata though - there is a lot of it, and some of it makes a big difference.

The best sourcebook by a long way IMHO is the Hero's Guide - loads of prestige classes, feats, character options, useful info on computer and communication tech, and so on that really make the game feel more like Star Wars rather than D&D in space. Really, really, really good stuff, even if the Faction and Sympathy mechanics are a bit wonky.

The rest depend on what sort of game you're running. Starships of the Galaxy is indispensable if you're running a game with lots of space combat, even if it is designed for the old ruleset. I've heard that this one is hard to find now, though. The Ultimate Alien Anthology is full of new playable races plus a few Prestige Classes and feats - I've found it useful, but unless you're fairly serious about the campaign it might not be worth the money. Arms and Equipment Guide is a mixed bag, but may be worth it if your characters are gunbunnies or you're running a military game. The Galactic Campaign Handbook is great for a new or hurried GM, with lots of sample maps, GMing advice and so on, but if you've GMed before you might not find it so useful. If you're running a Force-heavy campaign (like you seem to be considering) then Power of the Jedi and the Dark Side Sourcebook are probably worth a look. They do have a lot of bad art and useless stats for comic and novel characters, but there's plenty of useful stuff in there too - particularly the campaign, character, and GMing advice rather than the new rules. There are 'Era' handbooks for the Rebellion and the New Jedi Order, but not for KotOR unfortunately (my campaign is set in the Old Republic too).

Finally, the Wizards website has a fair bit of material available for download. I'd especially recommend the Web Enhancements for the Galactic Campaign Handbook and the Hero's Guide, whether or not you're considering buying these books.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Hmm, no one yet, so you get my rookie advice: :D [Well, at least when I began to write this.]

1. First thing to do, if not yet done, is to download the SW FAQ from SWRPGNetwork: http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/files/faq/ It incorporates JD Wiker's Jedi counseling column and so many other clarifications that I consider it essential. (Thanks, GMSarli, for compiling this! :) )

2. "How is the game?"
We (as in my 2 groups) have found no serious faults/problems with it, at least nothing that impedes playing. (Please note that we are in for the storytelling/roleplaying aspects so that the rules are [for us] only a necessary vehicle to adjucate actions.) There's some stuff we do have problems with, like the actual blaster bolt deflection mechanics, but we don't dwell on them.

While I started somewhat critical (old D6 player), I found that D20 works indeed for SW. (And makes it easier to get some players into it.)

3. "I'd like to know if its enough to run a game for a good while."
An honest "It depends." :p

The answer is really depending on the kind of game you want to run. My experiences with the sourcebooks.

Ultimate Alien Anthology: In both groups so far only one player expressed an interest in an Alien from this, and then only "just because the book is available". Everyone else was entirely content with the "standard" species from ReSW.

Starships of the Galaxy: Greater number of stock starships plus the rules for tweaking the one you already have. Rather useful (what would SW be without starships?), but not much use yet due to focus of our campaigns.

Dark Side Sourcebook: Some interesting ideas for the dark side here, but of limited use to us. (No darksiders allowed!)

Arms and Equipment: More stock weapons + droids + vehicles, modification rules. We didn't think it necessary, but it's nice to have. :)

Power of the Jedi: Jedi NPC stats throughout the ages, powerful force nexi, new races, a bit of equipment, new force feats and skills + Jedi PrC and about 25 pages of advice for running a Jedi campaign. Frankly, with the exception of the Jedi Healer PrC, this hasn't found much use at all (despite the fact that one of our campaigns is pure Jedi one). Except for a short history overview and some NPC's, nothing cncerning a possible KOTOR campaign.

Hero's Guide: a msattering of new feats (among them the "famous" Lightsaber combat forms) and PrCs, rules for factions and force traditions. Certainly the most anticipated book among us (especially with almost every review/mention of it being a rather glowing one), I found that my game would have proceeded just fine without ever looking at it. There are some excellent ideas in it, no question, though.

Well, so much for my rambling! :) If you have any further questions (or more detailed ones regarding actual contents of the books mentioned above), just ask away!

Folkert

Last edited:

mojo1701

First Post
Douane said:
Starships of the Galaxy: Greater number of stock starships plus the rules for tweaking the one you already have. Rather useful (what would SW be without starships?), but not much use yet due to focus of our campaigns.

Yeah. You might wanna wait for the Ultimate SotG which is coming out, I believe, soon. I'm not sure how long

Dark Side Sourcebook: Some interesting ideas for the dark side here, but of limited use to us. (No darksiders allowed!)

Awwwww.

Arms and Equipment: More stock weapons + droids + vehicles, modification rules. We didn't think it necessary, but it's nice to have. :)

Yes, very. It provides more variety than, "would you like to buy a blaster?" Instead, it's more "How 'bout a J-1 Happy Surprise concealment blaster?"

Hero's Guide: a msattering of new feats (among them the "famous" Lightsaber combat forms) and PrCs, rules for factions and force traditions. Certainly the most anticipated book among us (especially with almost every review/mention of it being a rather glowing one), I found that my game would have proceeded just fine without ever looking at it. There are some excellent ideas in it, no question, though.

Also a good one if you're GMing is Galactic Campaign Guide. Great for helping you generate a campaign, as well as come up with names, etc.

EDIT: Didn't [ QUOTE] right

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads