Star Wars - DRK-1X and its Mistress

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Well, thanks to a loving wife who will not let me refuse medication, I'm slightly better. I know what you mean about the cold though. Living in Minnesota, heat waves are anything above 40F. At least during the winter... I look at people visiting from Florida up here wearing parkas when it's 40F out and I can't help but to wonder why. Especially when I'm out there in shorts and a t-shirt... :lol:

A small part of those hours that X and Four were travelling had been taken up by Derek's reprogramming for 'pirate interaction', but yeah, they are a bit ahead of him.

Yes, it is possible to backtrack, go up another route, wait for them to pass and return to your route. Assuming that continuing past you is their goal.
[/sblock]

Four nods, her body shuddering as she speaks. "No, I don't think being seen before we are ready is a good idea. How long will it take to backtrack?"

Your calculations provide you with an approximation of another hour to return back and go up a different fork in the canyon. The four unknowns have been keeping a constant slow pace, so you will be able to stay ahead of them easily. Four again nods as you relay this to her. "Let's go. I have no wish to be stopped before we even get started."

Eventually you both make it to the point where the canyon splits. You start heading a ways up the path, attempting to do your best to keep an eye on the four beings. As they pass your spot and continue down the canyon, you are able to see some more details. They are wearing similar uniforms and carrying similar blaster rifles. Zooming in with your telescopic optical sensors, you pick out a familiar insignia. They are Imperials. While they are in view, you are also able to pick up communications between their helmet links.

"...are we doing out here anyway?"
"Captain says he thought he saw something land out here. We check it out, come back. Simple as that."
"Makes no sense, sir. Ships come and go here all the time. No big deal, right?"
"That's what I said."
"What did Captain say?"
"He said 'are you questioning my orders?'."
"Oh. How far are we supposed to go?"
"Until we find it."
"What are we looking for anyway?"
"A ship."
"I know that, sir. What kind of ship?"
"Captain didn't say what model. Said it was all black, triangular in shape. Nothing he'd ever seen before."
"Okay. I'm cold."
"Shut up."
"Yes, sir."

Fortuitously, their goal seems to lie far past yours and you continue back on your previous route.

Derek arrives at the outermost ring of what he knows would be the scanner range of typical low profile stations. The Ari's passive scanners detect three ships in the area, but they are going along their own route and pay no attention to him. The station is relatively quiet. Testing the waters, Derek sends out a transmission. It takes some time for a response.

"What?"

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Sounds like you've got a good woman there. :)

Comparatively weather-wise I have no idea how people in the southern states manage the summer heat. I find Montreal's hot summers with 85º F to 100ºF+ temperatures swelteringly hot and barely manageable. Assuming it gets much hotter in Florida or southern California for instance, I think I'd probably crumple up and die. :\

Is the "all black, triangular in shape" ship the imperials are talking about the Ari's Sorrow? I didn't think it was all black and I wouldn't have described it as triangular myself, though I don't recall you ever mentioning its color.
[/sblock]From its safe vantage point, DRK-1X will record a clear holo-image of the four imperials along with their brief comlink exchange. Later, when they're back en route, the probot will play both back for Four so that she can familiarize herself with the mine's personnel's particular uniform style, insignia and command structure to help her during her upcoming infiltration. As they proceed along the canyon towards the mine, DRK-1X will return to stealthily scouting ahead while likewise keeping watch behind them to ensure no patrols stumble onto them from behind.

In response from the single word transmission, Derek states his offer to the unknown fringer in equally simple terms. "Hi. I'm looking to trade for some spare fuel and expendables if you got any. I got a few creds and some spare equipment if you're interested. I don't need much and I'm not looking for any trouble." (Diplomacy +4, Illicit Barter if applicable)

Last edited:

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Indeed I do... That's the scary part about summer here too. All fall, winter and spring, it's cold, but once summer rolls around, it's like we move to the tropics. It's o'dark thirty or so and it's still 80 degrees outside. I like warm temperatures, but not cook the skin off my bones hot....

No, the soldier is not describing Ari's Sorrow. For one, the Kimogila is more diamond (rhomboid?) shaped with the engine section. That and the Sorrow is also not all black. She is more of a rusty beige. Pockmarked with the rigors of space and all that.
[/sblock]

Four watches the holorecording with interest. "They look like Imperials, but they certainly don't act like them. Something's not right. This new Empire doesn't seem too keen on hiring mercenaries for guard duty. Keep an extra eye out DRK-1X, there could be more to this than we know."

You continue on your path until you reach the outer perimeter markers. Meter-long poles jut from the ground in intervals five to six meters apart. Farther ahead, the trail widens into what appears to be a road of sorts. Even farther, you can make out the beginnings of a security gate, electro-fence and guard towers. For a mining facility, it seems pretty heavily guarded.

You narrowly miss meeting another patrol group, this one consisting of four individuals wearing Clone Armor. The problem is, they are all of a disparate height. As far as you are aware, Clone soldiers are all the same height. Four is also concerned as well. They don't seem to be following standard military protocol and there would be a lot more of them patrolling. You find a niche in the canyon that gives you a good temporary hiding place to watch from before you proceed.

It takes less time for the second response from the station. "What do you think we are, a charity? A few credits. Seriously. Listen, whoever-you-are. I don't know how you found this place, but it's too late to tell you to turn back. I've got an Imperial customs ship inbound and they need to see that we are not who we are. Catch my meaning? So I tell you what. You play along and there'll be no trouble at all and I'll get you what you need. Screw this up and, well... I guess we won't have to worry about that. Bring your ship in, I'm sending docking codes now."

True to his word, the controller sends a series of coordinates and codes to the Ari for Derek to follow. Attached is a bit of text:

::I hope you don't have anything illegal on board, they may want to check you out too. I wouldn't recommend jumping back out, they'll think you have something to hide.::

As soon as the codes are received, a signal on the Ari's passive sensors tells Derek that the controller wasn't lying about the Imperial ship either. The light cruiser jumps in right next to the station.

Ambrus

Explorer
DRK-1X surveys the distant security installations around their concealed niche with its telescopic sensors, carefully cycling through the electromagnetic spectrum in an attempt to detect otherwise invisible sensor grids along the perimeter. (Search +10, Spot +13, taking 20) With its scans complete, the probot turns to Four as its holoprojector pod begins to glow a soft blue. Within seconds a small 3D topographical map of the area taken from the Ari's Sorrow computer during its orbital flyby appears in the space between the pair. 1X proceeds to enhance the map with the data from its own scans of the area and then outlines in red the various security measures it's detected along the mine's perimeter. Small blocks of floating text detailing its analysis of the various defenses then appear above the map with glowing lines indicating their respective positions. The probe droid and woman's location appears a two lime green dots along the canyon floor. Once fully formed, the small glowing map begins to slowly rotate horizontally to afford Four a complete view of the area. "Report: I believe I will be able to aerially circumvent the various defenses to infiltrate the mining area and make my way to the landing pad. Inquiry: How do you propose to enter the area yourself and when do you believe we should proceed?"

Caught off guard by the sudden appearance of the imperial cruiser Derek considers rejecting the unknown fringer's advice and attempting to flee the area but quickly abandons the idea as possibly drawing more undesired imperial attention to himself. The human replica droid half turns to regard the folded and deactivated battle droids in the rear of the cabin. Just behind them, in the cargo compartment, were two other such droids. With the cruiser so close it was even risky to simply attempt tossing them out the ship's hatch. Any suspicious activity at this point was risky. Turning back to the control panel Derek deftly punches in the docking coordinates and throttles up the sublight engines, propelling the Ari's Sorrow towards the distant station and following in the wake of the imperial cruiser. Hopefully he and the station's occupants would be able to complete their transaction while diverting imperial attention away from the Ari's Sorrow long enough for he to leave once more.[sblock=OOC]Has the freighter arrived yet or do we appear to be early? Am I right in assuming that 1X can simply float over the electro-fence and security perimeter? It didn't sound like any of the defenses reach 10 meters in height. If not what would be necessary to circumvent, fool or disable the perimeter defenses?

Am I right in assuming that the cruiser would likely detect it if Derek attempted to jettison the four battle droids before approaching the station? If not then he'd consider doing so, track their drift and then attempting to retrieve them on the way back out of the area. Does Derek have any idea what the legality of transporting battle droids in the outer rim territories might be?
[/sblock]

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
X scans the entire facility as much as possible from this vantage point. It determines that it does not appear to be anything very sophisticated, as it seems to rely more on manpower than advanced devices for defense. There are guards everywhere and a five-meter high electro-fence. Switching through its various modes of vision, X spots the telltale hemisphere of energy that marks the detection radius of proximity mines. They seem to be set in a pattern approximately 2 meters from the edge of the fence. That would explain why the guards that are patrolling don't walk next to it. Each of the guard towers look to contain a pair of antipersonnel blaster cannons and three guards. Before reaching all that, the pair will have to circumvent the perimeter markers. Though not sophisticated, if not disabled, they will let the facility know that someone has penetrated the outer area. X would be able to hover over their detection area, but Four is not properly equipped for such an endeavour. She looks at you, eyes betraying a mote of doubt. "I guess I'll have to try the front door." She waits for a moment before continuing. "As soon as you are ready, I'd say get in there so you can get ready to get where you need to. That and you can keep an eye or three out for me."

Derek approaches the otherwise unbusy station. The Imperial customs cruiser looms like a grim warning next to it. As he approaches, Derek can see two shuttles leaving the hangar bay of the cruiser and making their way towards the awaiting docking bay. They same one Derek is going to.

As he finishes the landing procedure, outside of his cockpit, Derek spots an Imperial officer speaking with someone that appears to be from the station's crew. The officer uses his hand to motion to more than a few armored soldiers and not-armored other Imperials and they scurry off to do whatever it is he has ordered. For the moment, it appears to be a routine inspection. Derek also notices that two station crew men have come to his ship and are awaiting the ramp to open.

[sblock=OOC]X will have an easy time floating over the 5 meter fences, presuming it isn't spotted :lol: You did arrive pretty early, but X knows that the freighter is scheduled to arrive in the next couple of hours. From what X can tell, again presuming it isn't spotted physically, it will be rather easy to get inside just by 'hopping the fence'. Four, if she goes for that route, will be blown to bits by the 2 meter wide minefield that surrounds the fence. While the mines are proximity detonated (X knows this by virtue of electromagnetic emissions from them), X can float over them with ease. Four is not so well equipped. Then there is the fence itself. She will have to go in the front door which, as you can already see, is her plan anyway. The defences are pretty much physical in nature. For a military regulated mining facility, it doesn't appear very military. Just a lot of guns and people to shoot them. Of course, even before all that are the outer perimeter markers...

Derek, calling on X's memory, that is now his, of the encounters on the station where X purchased him, now knows that technically owning a battle droid is not illegal, if you can provide documentation that you actually own the droids and that they are for security purposes. At least, that was according to Republic laws. This new Empire could have different rules. Again judging from X's experiences, Derek knows that the new Empire has given more regional control to its governors, so the laws could vary by region. This part of space so far from the Core Worlds has never been known for heavy handed laws, so it is entirely possible for the customs agents to ignore the fact that Derek has battle droids on board. Not likely, but possible. And that's assuming they want to search his ship at all. Remember, they are here for the station, not Derek...

And yes, simply jettisoning the battle droids has a chance to be detected by the ship, though it is not a guarantee. Again, a risky measure, as Derek is fully aware. If you want him to still do that, we'll just retro the action.
[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]So the mine is protected by a mine-field? How apropos. :p

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't "a lot of guns and people to shoot them" an apt description of the word 'military'? ;)

You know, from what I've seen PBP games tend to be rather short lived as GMs go MIA. I wanted to thank you for sticking with this one so long. It's nice to see the story developing a tangible plot and moving in interesting directions. This behind the scenes secret construction of the Death Star for instance is fun for me to play through. It's easy to just stand in awe of the thing while watching the movies when it suddenly appears seemingly out of nowhere. I enjoy seeing the planning, logistics and effort necessary to make such a massive WMD a reality. A massive work-effort, a remote and nigh-inaccessible construction site along with an infrastructure in place to provide the raw-materials to actually build the Death Star makes a great backdrop for the adventure IMHO. Thanks again for the great game.

Without seeing a map of the facility's layout I'll have to leave it to you to oversee 1X's infiltration attempt. Naturally the probot will study the data it's accumulated and pick an entry path that provides it with cover for as much of the infiltration as possible. With a few hours to get inside DRK-1X isn't in any great hurry so it can aford to study troop movements and wait for the guards' attention to be drawn elsewhere before attempting to move past them. The probot will take advantage of watch-tower and sensor blind-spots, concealing shadows and natural camouflage while moving from cover to cover.
(Hide +22, Move Silently +15, taking 10)[/sblock]DRK-1X lets the hologram fade away to nothing. "Conjecture: Once we separate, we may lack opportunities to meet and converse safely. Although our comlink transmissions will be encrypted, transmitting any conversation will remain risky throughout the mission. Proposition: I suggest we endeavour to use our comlinks as seldom as possible while limiting ourselves to succinct and crucial information only. To further confound any attempts to decipher our exchanges I suggest we utilize a simple code system whenever applicable. Signaling an affirmative response can, for instance, be accomplished by transmitting any prime number. Conversely, a non-prime number would indicate a negative response.

We can also indicate levels of danger or suspected imperial suspicion by transmitting spectrum colors. Clarification: For instance, signaling 'violet' would indicate that the task at hand is proceeding smoothly while a signal of 'blue' or 'green' would indicate some measure of difficulty. Signaling 'yellow' would indicate a significant obstacle to our plans. Signalling 'orange' would indicate that we are in imminent danger of being discovered. Signalling 'red' would mean that the mission has failed.

Proposition: We can also use code names when referring to each other. Clarification: I am designated as "eyes", you are "face", our ally aboard the Ari's Sorrow is "ear" and Dofina will be referred to as the "body". Imperial forces can be grouped together under the term "hands". So if I, for instance, discover that imperial agents are en route to apprehend you then I could signal you simply by saying "Face orange, hands close." You could then signal that you've understood the warning by responding "seventeen".

Report: Our ally in the Ari's Sorrow is already aware of these codes along with other more complex one's we've devised to keep each other abreast of progress and difficulties as well as to signal an eventual rendez-vous. He'll be monitoring com-channels throughout the mission to follow our progress. Inquiry: Do you understand?"

Inquiry: Is there anything I can do to aid your entry into the facility? Also, how am I to recognize you once you have adopted different shapes?"

Derek covers the two folded battle droids with a simple tarp to conceal them and replaces his own face concealing visor before depressing the hatch release button. Once it opens, the human replica droid steps onto the ramp to greet the two station crewmen. "Hi. I just need to refuel, my expendables are fine. I'll help you with the hookups. You want the creds now or after?" Derek nods casually towards the imperial shuttles. "Friends of yours?"

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Well, I look at it this way: as long as all the players are enjoying the game and coming back to it, I'm doing a good job. That and I reward loyalty ;) You've been with me since the beginning and you've stuck with me through a lot of changes in the game and some admittedly boneheaded miscalculations I've made and that tells me I must be doing something right. That being said, there have been times when the stresses of life have caused me to consider giving up GMing (or even PbP in general)for a while so I can get back on track, but I still come back to it. Gives me something to think about other than those stresses... I still have to thank you for the sentiments though. I've heard good game before, but not great. Thanks.

Oh.. and if you think one Death Star is bad... :]

I suppose I should have put the qualifier of 'Imperial' before military. Perhaps then the right point would have been made :)

I haven't yet done up a map for the place, I didn't think it was that necessary in this case, as I don't expect much in the way of combat unless you or Four starts it. If you plan on sticking around the facility or coming back to it, I'll spend an hour or two on a map, if you wish.
[/sblock]

Four listens intently as you outline your plan and subsequent code for communications. She nods along with description. "I could have used you planning some other missions I've had go not so well due to poor or lack of prior plans. Yeah, I understand. Time to do my stuff. If anything, just keep your sensors peeled for anything that might indicate my cover is blown. If they happen to send out any signals for reinforcements or something, somehow jamming that would probably be a good move as well. Now if you'll excuse me. With those words, Four's furry skin and feminine curves are replaced by the heavier build and more defined musculature of a Human male. The voice changes with it. "I don't know many men that can do this with such panache." It would be an amusing sight to a Human, but Four has managed to perfect the ability to walk as a woman does while in a man's body, hip-swing and all. With that, 'he' turns to face you. "Good luck, DRK-1X. If you droids believe in that sort of thing."

With that, the woman disappears into the crevasses of the canyon. Or at least, in her own mind. Your thermoptics can easily pick out her trail. You don't spend much time watching her, as you have your own agenda. The patrolling guards are no problem, as they are about as predictable as a simple blast door code. The outer perimeter markers provide more of a problem however. The EM signatures coming from them provide almost no room to slip through, as if it is a miniature version of the sensor net that Four described exists in the cluster where you are headed.

The solution comes easily to X though. Seeing that the patrolling men set off the perimeter's sensors as they pass, one more smaller mass moving through the area with them would be difficult to detect. As one of the groups pass, X slips behind them, it's high tech sound dampeners keeping its repulsor fans from alerting the men to its presence.

As X approaches the fence, it finds a spot between two guard towers that seems to fall between their field of view. Waiting for another group of guards to pass, X adds altitude to its current velocity and reaches the other side of the electro fence.

Besides two main landing pads, X spots two other hangars with smaller launch pads attached to them. At closer look, they are filled with small snubfighters, mostly of the Scyk and Iriaz variety. At last check, X knows that the Empire still flies ARC-170s and V-Wing fighters.

There seems to be a building that passes for barracks, as it seems to contain numerous sleeping heat forms. There is also many smaller shacks and pre-fab buildings. Many contain more heat forms, all standing or sitting. One building has numerous antennas coming from it, this appears to be the communications shack.

There is one thing that X notices is missing though. Where is the mine entrance?

One tech remains silent, but the other nods to Derek. "Straight and to the point, I like that. Why don't you go grab your money and bring it down here, we'll get started here." He doesn't say anything about the Imperials however, nor does he even acknowledge the question.

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I don't know what you may be like running table-top games, but if your PBP game is any indication I believe you'd easily be one of the top GMs I've ever had the pleasure to play with.
Shadowbloodmoon said:
Oh.. and if you think one Death Star is bad... :]
"First rule of Government contracts. Why build one, when you can build two for twice the price."-Seymour Hadden, Contact ;)

Don't worry about making a map of the place. All I meant was that, not having a clue how the facility is laid out, you'd simply have to assume that 1X is picking the best entry path it can find without me specifying what that path is exactly.

On the other hand though, I would have hoped that 1X would have been smart enough to note the distinct lack of a mine at this supposed mining facility while reviewing the orbital scans and asked Four about it earlier. :\
[/sblock]In need of a safe vantage point to wait and continue studying the facility, DRK-1X focuses its primary photoreceptor on the comm-building. The height of its roof along with the array of antennae sprouting from its top would provide the probot with much better camouflage to hide amongst than the ice and rock covering the rest of the facility's terrain could. Staying low to the ground, 1X silently floats up to the edge of the shack before turning to scan the surrounding area to ensure that it's approach wasn't noted before quickly ascending to the roof and loosing itself amongst the tangle of cables, relay boxes and antenna covering its top.

The diminutive probot first studies the electronic systems surrounding it, attempting to find a relay or maintenance access port that it could use to possibly slice into the building's communications system. (Search +10, taking 20 / Knowledge (technology) +6 / Computer Use +14) From its vantage point, DRK-1X next turns its attention outward to study the facility's personnel from behind the cover of the communications array in an attempt to spot Four (Spot +13, Listen +9). The probot also increases the sensitivity of its audio sensors to listen at the roof for any conversations taking place within the building itself (Listen +9).

"We're all busy men here; I don't want to waste your time. I'm sure you've got more important people to deal with." Derek pulls out his credit chip from within his jerkin and holds it up where the crewman can see it. "I've got em right here. If you've got a chip handy I'll make the transfer right now. How much you looking for to fill the tanks?" (Diplomacy +4, Illicit barter +4)

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Heh.. It's been so long since I ran a face to face game, I wouldn't know anymore :lol: Notice I said X couldn't see a mine entrance. Never said there was no mine :) The orbital thermal scans do show an area underground, but above ground, there doesn't appear to be an entrance.[/sblock]

X makes its way stealthily to the communications building. Inside the facility, it seems that the security is more lackadasical than the outside. It would seem that the guards feel that there would be few who could get through their outer perimeter.

Silently making its way to the top of the comm shack, X perfectly fits in with all the other antennas and devices. It takes a little bit, but X finds the feed into the building's computers that monitors the communications antenna. It would appear that whoever wired this place wasn't very efficient.

Turning to scan the main gate, you can see a group of soldiers carrying cold weather blankets and, according to your thermovision, some sort of hot beverage. They are running towards the front gate where you see an officer and other soldiers talking with a soldier that is not wearing the same uniform as the rest of them. This has to be Four.

Listening to the men below, you catch bits and pieces of conversations. Most of the snippets seem to be about a gambling game of some sort and the lack of fair-playing players in the facility. However, you do manage to pick out what sounds to be communication with an incoming ship, as the voice has been repeating coordinates and weather readings.

Another glance and you can see Four being led to what is probably the command building, covered in the blankets and sipping the warm liquid offered to 'him'.

"Very efficient of you. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you must be a droid or something. Normal docking fees and such are five hundred and a complete refuel and restock usually runs around five thousand. Since you're just looking for fuel, I'll let you go with four thousand. What do you say?"

As he talks, the tech and his partner have already hooked the refueling probes to the Sorrow and started to transfer fuel to the ship. In a glance, Derek also sees two of the Imperials headed his way. Another glance and he sees that the officer and station representative seem to be arguing about something.

The talking tech speaks in a low whisper. "Just keep casual."

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Hm. I'd imagine that loading thousands of tons of ore onto a freighter in any reasonable amount of time would require a massive conveyor assembly of some sort in close proximity to both the mine and the freighter's landing spot. Since you haven't described any such infrastructure I'm guessing that the landing pads are actually giant hatch covers for the mine. Once a ship lands it'd connect to the conveyor assembly beneath the surface to begin automatically loading ore into its cargo containers.

Is the crewman's price quote for fuel as crazy as it sounds? I would have expected a figure about a tenth of the size. What would be a reasonable cost expectation? I might change Derek's response based on your answer...
[/sblock]DRK-1X keeps its telescopic array fixed on Four and even records a brief image of the woman turned man for future reference as she's escorted through the compound. As it does so, the diminutive probot extends both its manipulator arms and its scomp-link probe from within its chassis. 1X goes to work on the main com-line, attempting to splice it's scomp-link into the system so as to directly monitor imperial communications (Computer Use +14, Knowledge (technology) +6) while awaiting the freighter to arrive.

In response, the human replica droid attempts a mild chuckle with its sophisticated vocabulator. Speaking softly but quickly to finish before the imperial arrives, Derek gives his answer to the crewman. "Frankly I'd say that's piracy. I'll tell you what though; you get me out of here as quick as you can and keep these 'imperials' away from me and my ship and you'll have your four thousand credits. I think you'd rather I not have to talk to these guys if you know what I mean..." The droid lets the crewman make of that couched threat what he will before turning away from the approaching imperial agents and busying himself with the fuel-tank gauges.

Remove ads