• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars - Prosthetics rules?

Random Axe

Explorer
I have a quick question. I am running a SW campaign where one of the characters has had his hand chopped off by a lightsaber. Did any of the rules systems (d6, 3e, or SE) put down guidelines or rules for:

1. How easily accessible is it to find a medical centre sufficently advanced or skilled enough to have a prosthetic hand (a la Luke Skywalker) made up and "installed"? For instance, I don't think that a place like Tatooine would have the fine technology or expertise available. But at the end of Empire Strikes Back it looked like the medical frigate was able to whip one up in fairly short order.
2. How long would it take to prepare (construct) the prosthetic (once you check in to that facility, for instance)?
3. How long would the operation itself take to install?

Or are there EU references out there already for this galactic problem?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Saga Edition lists cyber-surgery under the Treat Injury skill, listing the time and difficulty involved. It doesn't talk about building prosthetic limbs, just installation.

If you have to have the cosmetically-identical limb (like Luke) then you'll need a better resource base than Tatooine generally provides (though you could have it delivered). For an Anakin-style prosthetic, (i.e. obvious but fully functional) Tatooine is more than sufficient for the technology and expertise.

When determining the time to do something in Star Wars, you can generally use the Lucas approach. "It happens at the speed of plot." Or more helpfully, at the speed that is most enjoyable for you and your gaming group; this can mean extended privations, if your group enjoys those, or near-instant accomplishment if that's your group's thing.

Good luck.

Random Axe

Explorer
Thanks for the lead, I read up on the Saga Treat Injury rules and its various references; it looks as if the surgery time is as short as 1 hour, but there's no note about where the prosthetics might come from or by whom.

Still, I take your point about the "speed of plot", and I think I can get it rolling.

frankthedm

First Post
Kinda sad the rules don't cover this. One would think it is something the rules would cover well since there have always been canon examples of it happening to important characters.

Galaxy at War.

Given that Rodney gave a "dramatic reading" of the cybernetic reconstruction rules from said book, it's only natural to conclude that cybernetics in general will be getting a lot more detailed coverage in said book.

As for why they are not in the core... how much of a dramatic impact did cybernetics really make in the movies aside from replacement limbs? Only one character really had drastic cybernetic replacements (Grievous), while Luke only got a replacement hand, Anakin a replacement arm, and Vader was in an iron lung. Besides, the game's not Cyberpunk, so cybernetics aren't really a hot button issue.

Although you could tweak the implants from KOTOR or the biotech stuff from Legacy Era guide if you really want something you can use immediately.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads