• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Deleted Scene Stills Revealed

mojo1701

First Post
Other than those screenshots being squeezed into 4x3 aspect ration, despite the anamorphic bars still being there, they're still whetting my appetite for Sith.

Lucas doesn't seem to be a fan of the 'extended editon' idea, so this is probably the best we'll get. It DOES look like we're getting that underwater seen, maybe even the underwater Super Battle Droids.

John Crichton

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Lucas doesn't seem to be a fan of the 'extended editon' idea, so this is probably the best we'll get. It DOES look like we're getting that underwater seen, maybe even the underwater Super Battle Droids.
Dude. He started the concept of the extended/special edition. ;)

I do know there is a difference (LotR:EE vs SW:SE rereleases) but they are very similar. If all that is added back in or at least on the discs I'll be happy. The scenes all look sweet.

John Crichton said:
Dude. He started the concept of the extended/special edition. ;)

I do know there is a difference (LotR:EE vs SW:SE rereleases) but they are very similar. If all that is added back in or at least on the discs I'll be happy. The scenes all look sweet.
But not with DVDs. :p

Heck, we didn't even get those deleted scenes with the OT DVD set, even though there's a handful that's been well known for the last...oh...20 odd years?

John Crichton

First Post
Bah, DVD wasn't en vogue in 1998. I know what you mean, but think about it - what were the SEs? Especially ANH. Look at all the additions of scenes. It wasn't 30 minutes worth but he has shown in the past that he's willing to make additions and changes. He just hasn't had the time yet as the prequels are so new.

John Crichton said:
Bah, DVD wasn't en vogue in 1998. I know what you mean, but think about it - what were the SEs? Especially ANH. Look at all the additions of scenes. It wasn't 30 minutes worth but he has shown in the past that he's willing to make additions and changes. He just hasn't had the time yet as the prequels are so new.
Still think there's a big difference. Lucas' changes were all done a while after the movies were out, and mainly motivated(beyon money, of course) by the fact that he wasn't able to do the things he wanted originally. The scenes that were added in were ones that weren't even finished, and most of them were actually brand new. He's already said that he got the movies he wanted with the SEs, and that he's just as happy with the Prequels, so we shouldn't expect an SE for them(though there will always be people who scream otherwise).

LotR on the other hand(which seems to have kicked in the "Extended Edition" craze that's all over DVDs now), just included cut scenes that were mainly out for time reasons of the theatrical release. It was also something that was planned from the get-go. Pretty much all the Extended DVDs these days are just following LotRs method, including scenes that were simply cut from the movie. Motivated more by money(in the case of LotR, more to get things closer to the book for the fans) that by any problems that were had with technology. Jackson definitely got his vision of LotR on screen without too much trouble.

John Crichton

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Still think there's a big difference. Lucas' changes were all done a while after the movies were out, and mainly motivated(beyon money, of course) by the fact that he wasn't able to do the things he wanted originally. The scenes that were added in were ones that weren't even finished, and most of them were actually brand new. He's already said that he got the movies he wanted with the SEs, and that he's just as happy with the Prequels, so we shouldn't expect an SE for them(though there will always be people who scream otherwise).
Yes, he has said many times that SEs will not be made for the new flicks and given reasons. But history tells a different story. I don't really mind either way. I'm cool with the movies the way they are. If I have to view deleted scenes separately that's okay.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
LotR on the other hand(which seems to have kicked in the "Extended Edition" craze that's all over DVDs now), just included cut scenes that were mainly out for time reasons of the theatrical release. It was also something that was planned from the get-go. Pretty much all the Extended DVDs these days are just following LotRs method, including scenes that were simply cut from the movie. Motivated more by money(in the case of LotR, more to get things closer to the book for the fans) that by any problems that were had with technology. Jackson definitely got his vision of LotR on screen without too much trouble.
The methodology and reasoning why each director released a different version of the film doesn't matter to my point. The point is that Lucas was the first person to make a major re-release of a film that had changes to it compared to the original. LotR may seem like it started a trend with extended cuts and such and it certainly can be argued but Lucas did it first. Motivations and plans notwithstanding.

I'm not trying to get into an arguement over what we may or may not see on the current DVD release or in the future. There most certainly is a difference between Extended Edition and Special Edition. But just like any brothers or sisters there are certainly going to be defining characteristics of both.

John Crichton said:
Yes, he has said many times that SEs will not be made for the new flicks and given reasons. But history tells a different story.
In about 10 or 15 years:

Lucas: "You see, when we made Phantom Menace, we didn't have the technology for Darth Maul to wield a 4 bladed lightsaber. . ."

"Here, we didn't think we had quite enough Gungans in the scene, so now we inserted extra gungans and put Jar Jar in the background of almost every shot"

"That old CGI from back then looks so fake, so we are completely re-releasing the movie with new modern CGI"

Lucas is a perfectionist, that quite honestly doesn't know when to leave well enough alone. Ben Burtt, his sound designer, has said he expects until the day he or Lucas dies he'll still be getting calls about wanting to remix the sound in one scene or another, or to try and get an even better sound effect for a certain action, and that's from a man who's know and worked with him since the OT. A librarian friend of mine told me that when Lucas released the Special Editions, he tried to get the Library of Congress to replace their archival copies of the trilogy with the Special Editions, since they were the "real" Star Wars, the LoC politely refused on the historic grounds that the OT was put in their on.

We'll likely see the occasional new remix, re-edit, or new edition for the rest of Lucas's life. Even the "way things were supposed to be all along" has changed. In the original release, Luke didn't scream when he fell from the catwalk on Bespin, in the Special Edition we let go of a long scream as he fell, then in the DVD "Extra Special Edition" release, that scream is gone now. So, he was supposed to have screamed "all along" until 2004? I'm trying to restrain myself on the Han Shot First while I"m at it (and even the subtle changes to that scene in the DVD release too).

Fast Learner

First Post
I humbly suggest that Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind was the first SE/EE that "major re-release of a film that had changes to it compared to the original," and that was into theaters, to boot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads