• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars RPG and Mini Battles

Xphile

Explorer
Due to the holidays and the fact that my town doesn't have much of a gaming crowd, I've been looking for more 2 player games so that my girlfriend and I could whittle the nights away locked away in epic struggle (and just good fun).

One of the things I was looking at was the SW Minis. We have D&D minis and enjoy them, but I wanted to mix things up a bit. One of the things that I miss about games like that is that they are completely one shot. Well that and I love being a DM.

What I would like is to have mini battles with an RPG feel to them. Basically a player will create a squad of characters and then go through encounters. I've found that RPG rules alone aren't alot of fun with one PC, and that having multiple characters all controlled by one player can be difficult and tedious at times.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a set of house rules or such that added more of an RPG element to miniature games.

scourger

Explorer
The D&D Miniatures Handbook has rules for a skirmish campaign that add more RPG elements, particluarly a simple advancement scheme and random magic items. I've been thinking of using it for a DDM campaign, and I think you could apply the basic advancement scheme to SW minis. You might also consider allowing advancement by upgrading the minis to different, more advanced versions of the character. There are several versions of Luke Skywalker, for instance; so you could start a player character as one of the weaker versions and move to one of the stronger versions. Also, I think SW minis had some published books with campaigns to play through.

Another game you might try is Savage Worlds. It is bascially a minis game souped up into an RPG. It is very easy for a player to run a wild card hero with several extras. Check out the free test drive here:

http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
One other thing you might consider is the various scenarios put out by the DDM Guild (the fan group that is supporting the DDM game now that WotC has ceased to do so).

They have several scenarios that offer unique victory conditions and warband building options that change the usual gameflow of DDM. They can be found at:

DDM Guild: Home

fireinthedust

Explorer
Keeping with Star Wars, you could buy a set of clone troopers to go along with the Mrs' Jedi character. Use whichever Jedi stats you want (the above-mentioned Luke Skywalker at whatever level) whenever they're in combat, even if her PC is named, like, dnei flrig, or some such.
If she dies, have her sacrifice one trooper for a healing surge or something.

Then you can have her lead her troop around. The social encounters and skill challenges you can have her use an actual SWSE character, or even just have her pick skills and roll high or low to succeed. RP the conversations between fights, or ask her how she solves problems for said PC and the followers.

I suggest that, if you want continual re-use of the monsters, doing a clone wars or stormtrooper bad guys set. Like buying the bag o' skeletons, you'll use them over and over.

You could also get the cut-away maps of the movies, for the Hoth base. think up some battles in corridors along the map.

How advanced do you need to be?

Xphile

Explorer
Thank you for all of the suggestions, many of them I'll be investigating over the holidays.

One of the things I found was a star wars mini's group that created a "campaign edition" to combine some RPG elements in.

The rules can be found at SWM {CE} if anyone else is interested.

Right now I'm looking at doing a campaign of the start of the rebellion. She'll create one character and then I'll introduce other characters which she can level up herself (a la KOTOR) or that I'll just level up myself.

Remove ads