• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Saga: Force Grip, Move Object and Concentration

darkelfo

First Post
So I'm trying to find a good way to balance Force Grip and Move Object. They both can be maintained round to round. And if the player rolls well enough, the powers completely negate any action by the target.

Most players with a force power emphasis will train in Use The Force and then get Skill Focus: Use The Force. As a practical matter, with a decent charisma modifier and half level bonus it becomes very easy for the player to maintain Force Grip and Move Object from round to round. With Force Grip that means the target can only use a swift action; with Move Object they are suspended in mid-air. At lower levels in particular, the targets' Fort and Reflex defense are low enough to make the target easily voulnerable to these attacks. Raising these scores means the target is too strong for the rest of the party.

There are no rules for breaking out of Force Grip or Move Object and there are no rules for breaking the attacker's concentration. Am I reading this wrong?

For my campaign, I have instituted a one-hit concentration break for both of these powers. If a force user is maintaing either power and they get hit, concentration is broken and the power fails. Additionally, maintaining them from round to round incurs a cumulative -5 penalty, similar to lightsaber deflect.

Without these home rules, these powers unchecked will make any battle against a non-force-using boss anticlimactic and not fun for the players. "Oh, here's the final boss. Everyone go get a sandwich, I'll just Force Grip him till he's dead."

Thoughts on this issue?

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
It ties up one PC, and it ties up one NPC. I don't see that as a problem, to be totally honest. While the Grand Moff is floating in mid-air frantically gasping for breath, his contingent of elite storm troopers is taking aim at the silly little Jedi standing there concentrating on choking their boss.

It's really only an issue in battles against a single opponent, but in that case it's either supposed to be an easy encounter in the first place or else the single opponent is significantly stronger than the rest of the party.

Randolpho

First Post
If.... if only there were some... skill..... that represents how well you can, I dunno, focus on a particular task despite distractions.

What would we call such a skill?

darkelfo

First Post
Given the few numbers of skills in the game, and the high cost of skill training, I don't think introducing a concentration skill into the game is a good option in fairness to the players.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Randolpho said:
If.... if only there were some... skill..... that represents how well you can, I dunno, focus on a particular task despite distractions.

Endurance?

*rimshot*

Victim

First Post
Move Object levitating some guy isn't necessary going to cost him any actions. He could shoot you, toss grenades, whatever.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Randolpho said:

Endurance, since that's already in existence and there's no need to add in another skill that exists for only one use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads